Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
This was yesterday, but I took it to a local cars and coffee.

My friend helped put the newspaper article on the window. I need to make a proper board for meets and such...

I know there's an underpanel/fender liner not in place. On my list of things to address. If I recall correctly, there's a broken tab of some sort.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That radio is cool. Coincidence, looks like your temp control dial bulb is out - just found mine to be out as well. I happened to be swapping my dash buttons yesterday and while I was in there pulled the bulb and ordered a new one which should arrive tomorrow. They're $5. P/N if I got it right (Isaac was kind enough to verify the P/N) is
79670-S0X-A01.
Looks like my ECON button's light is out too? Unsure if the correct part number for that would be 35851-SP0-506 or not.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If that's "light cleaning," I'd hate to see a full detail.
Give it a month. A friend of mine is going to have it for a whole weekend cleaning the entire exterior up and buffing the windshield scratches out. The interior is going to need some more work...

Fixed the bumper fitment as well as the flopping piece under the bumper:

Also scrubbed down both wheel wells of Alaskan/Washington dirt and whatever else in between. I pressure washed them the day before with the wheels on, hence why there's one heavy spot. Should've left it alone for a dramatic before/after...

After:

You can figure out which side got scrubbed first:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Did some more cleaning and a twist: restoration!

The peeled window trim bugged me, so out it came. Did a thorough cleaning, of course.

Forgot to take a photo of the painting process, but you can use your imagination. I've used VHT satin black chassis paint since the store I went to didn't have trim paint. It'll do just fine.

Pulled the driver's side window out because there was a spot on the window that Windex couldn't get out.

Grabbed this RSX accessory shift knob out of my Civic. Bought it new, but I'm selling the Civic, so I decided to try the knob out in the Insight. Actually liking it.

Last but not least, I threw the important part of the dipstick into my ultrasonic cleaner for about six hours. I can now read the oil level!

Didn't get after photos, but I pulled the airbox out of the engine bay. It was covered in oil due to the one dealer overfilling the engine of oil. Also, I've put in a new air filter as well as a cabin filter.

Also threw in fancy brake fluid. I use this in my other cars.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This was yesterday/last night.

Wet sanded and polished the headlights. I've cleaned them up by hand, but of course, this method was a bandaid and will haze again in a short period of time. Wet sanding is the obvious way to go. This was before anything was done:

After wetsanding and wax:

This made a world of a difference

Impulsively bought LEDs at Walmart and changed out the dome and map lights.

Installed a Bluetooth module that has a Honda connector, so it plugs into the back of the factory radio. I also have a microphone connected to it (not pictured) so hands-free phone calls can be made.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Would you happen to have a parts list for that bluetooth setup (with microphone).?

This is what I have. It's not flawless, but it works.

I can at least play music via Bluetooth and skip a track using the radio. Honestly, that's all I need. For phone convos, I think I'm better off using my AirPods.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Replaced the ULEV, Gasoline-Electric Hybrid, H, and Insight decals with new ones from Honda.

They're not perfect (especially the H) and that's on me, but they're much better than before. I'll take it. Might have to let them soak in the sun for a day or three.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I might need to make my own thread soon. I feel bad posting in here as much as I have been :p

Technically I didn't do this, but I did pay for it!

Picked up the Insight from my friend's house. He did some magic to it and now its a solid five footer!

The rear bumper is what impressed me. Like most pre-loved Insights I've seen, the top portion was faded and heavily scratched. Now, it's not as noticeable until you really get close to it.

And last, the engine bay has never been cleaned in its 21 years of driving... until this week.
*Disclaimer: I made note of how sensitive the steering rack can be to water, so he left the firewall untouched.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yours looks really good! My windshield isn’t 100% cleared out from the scratches like yours.

My friend did a pass with cerium oxide then finished it off with Carpro Ceriglass polish. Could probably use maybe one more pass of cerium oxide, but as is it’s much better than before.

Soon I will buy precut vinyl from you for my spoiler as the cherry on top!

·
Registered
267 Posts
So Julian, is the Insight your new daily driver?
For the most part, Evan. Filling up once a week is a luxury for me, and I haven't experienced that consistently since I've owned a Jetta TDI. I have three cars and a motorcycle, so it gets difficult at times rotating but I might have figured out a method to my madness.

I'm restoring my Miata soon, so I'll be down to two cars: my Fit and Insight.

The Insight is driven almost daily now however:
  • If I'm road-tripping solo, no dog, light luggage: Insight.*
    *If it snows, Fit. This asterisk applies to any distance driving when snow is in the formula.
  • If I'm road-tripping solo or with someone, and/or have the dog and/or have a lot to haul: Fit.
  • Junkyard: Fit
  • If I'm around town and the weather is perfect: Miata.*
    *Will take it on a road trip to somewhere with nice roads (i.e. - Skyline Drive in VA or Tail of the Dragon)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts