Honda Insight Forum banner

3661 - 3680 of 3691 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Achieved 61.5mpg for my last tank, I believe that's a personal record for me. I tend to drive 75-80, so that was sort of a surprise.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Reupholstered my custom armrest for the 6th gen Civic center console (the black fake leather was making my arm sweat) and installed a Rockwell RW8CA 8" sub.

Before:

After:

Rockwell sub install, underneath the driver's seat. Followed samwichse's recommendation and added 1" rear and 1/2" front spacers so the sub would fit underneath. Sounds great.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've decided to take on a small list of issues that has been bugging me about my Insight and the results have me quite pleased.

First off, for some reason the passenger side visor would barely move without sounding as though it was going to tear itself off the headliner. I removed it and lightly pinned it in my wood vise wrapped in a microfiber towel. I was able to rock the pivot arm a bit which allowed me to get some penetrating lubricant down inside. After working it back and forth with some elbow grease and patience it finally loosened up and works great. My theory is that this bar is slightly bowed from the factory to encourage the visor to either snap up or snap down. Perhaps mine is a little more than bowed causing unnecessary friction.

Next up I decided that I had had enough of the nasty stained seats that seem to come standard in every Insight I've seen. I've heard that you can remove the seats, unzip the covers and run them through the wash. That said, that sounded like a PITA and I was afraid my covers may not reinstall satisfactorily. So, I decided to try another tactic. I took a small spray bottle, put a few tablespoons of my laundry stain remover inside and topped it off with water. I grabbed a small nylon bristle brush and gave the seats a nice spray then a good scrub. I was shocked by the results. I gave the same treatment to my cloth door panels and the change is night and day. The car looks nearly new and I can't believe I lived with those embarrassing stains for so long.

Feeling encouraged by my upholstery restoration efforts I decided to tackle the exterior. I gave the car a nice hand washing followed by a thorough waxing. I used a "back to black" product on the black trim and of course applied rain-x to all the glass. I gave the interior of deep vacuuming and then buffed off the wax to admire incredibly well preserved silver glossy paint.

Now I noticed that my dingy yellow headlights were looking especially bad in contrast to my freshly waxed paint so I went inside to investigate a headlight restoration product available online. While venturing down the review rabbit hole of Amazon I decided to just try a bottle of Scratch Out that was already sitting in my cupboard. I grabbed a microfiber towel and bucket to sit on and in about 20 minutes both headlights looks crystal clear! I couldn't believe how easy that was. Some folks say the UV light will get to them and the yellow will come back unless you properly clear coat them. I'm sure they're right. But for now if they yellow again in a few months, I'll just clean them up again. No sweat.

So now I was gaining traction and feeling unstoppable so I decided to really go for it. I had been waiting for a response from Scott on his dash button replacement program but as I hadn't heard anything back and was getting antsy I just decided to tear the dash out and see if I couldn't just fix the damn buttons myself. Scott uses this flat headed red pry tool to remove the dash and while that looks real handy, I didn't have one. So I decided to improvise. I opened my wallet and removed the most useless thing in it. Well useless when you drive an Insight. I grabbed my AAA card and surprisingly that worked tremendously well at popping the bezel loose. Unlike Scotts pry bar which looked to be about an inch wide at most, the AAA card was quite wide and flexible allowing me to really pry away without concern for breaking anything (except maybe my AAA card). I found the best approach was to pop the left side a bit, then the right side a bit, then slightly right of dead center on top and presto she was free. Of course I'd had to wrestle the steering column covers off which honestly was a little less fun but I did find there to be something of a method. Instead of prying outward, I found if you pressed inward in just the right spots she popped open. (Of course after lowering the steering column) Anyway, once all the plugs were removed I carried my gauge cluster in to the kitchen to see what was going on. After easily removed the casing I was looking at the back of the circuit board. There were clearly 2 small boards running the inoperable buttons on the bottom left and right of the unit each held in place by a single screw and a few stubborn clips. I removed the left board and laid it on my kitchen table. I grabbed my continuity meter and tested the button. Shockingly it showed no continuity with the button depressed. So, I delicately removed both gray rubber covers and lightly cleaned the contacts beneath. Perhaps the most difficult and/or aggravating aspect of this entire job was reinstalling those tiny little grab rubber covers properly. With the gray rubber cover back in place I once again tried my meter to find it was now reading continuity. I then cleaned the rest of the contacts on both boards and re-installed. While the gauge was dismantled I took the opportunity to spiff it up and make sure everything was clean. The only issue I see is that someone must have angrily pressed the - + buttons hard enough to brake the little black clips which hold the springs in place. As there didn't seem to be any way to fix this without replacement, I just put it all back together and headed back out to the barn. Re-installation was just a simple reversal of steps and before it was all firmly back in place I turned on the ignition and held the trip button and wouldn't you know, it worked!

So now I can adjust the brightness of display, cycle trip A and B, and switch between MPH and KPH. The best part is that finally after 9 months of ownership, I'll take my first trip with no pesky lights on the display. If these go belly up again, I'll just replace them but for now, I'm just happy that they're working.

For anyone wondering. I bought my 2000 5-speed back in December of 2018 for $1500. It had 167xxx miles on it and a functioning IMA. Since then I've just been slowly cleaning up the minor (mostly cosmetic) issues left by the P.O. Replacing missing bits and pieces and just thoroughly enjoying this car. It still baffles me how or why it's so much fun to drive! Currently averaging about 78MPG in hilly western PA!

·
Registered
412 Posts
My little 2001 Silver MT is on the Prolong charge/discharge cycle. I have had the Prolong gear for a while but was unable to set the Insight aside for three or four days and depend on the Citroën 2CV. I have a 2009 Honda Fit which has a dead battery, and I just could not seem to get around to putting in a new one. But, the battery in my Insight also fits a Fit. So, new battery for Insight and xfer the old battery to the Fit.

The Fit I have uses a different size battery than the Insight ;o( So now I have two batteries for the Insight and need one, new, for the Fit. So, I bought one and put it in. The lights work! I checked the Fuelio app on my phone and I last filled the Fit up with gas 14 months ago. I put the key in, the dash lights came on and I turned the key and after fourteen months this car started like it had not been started in fourteen minutes. Just another reason to love Hondas. 106000 miles on the odometer.

The Insight is on Prolong charge #1. I'll start the discharge late tomorrow night, and then charge, and then discharge, and then charge, and then discharge and then charge and I am done. Four charges, three discharges. Rejuvenated battery pack. I may have to attach a drag chute to slow he car with all the new energy. ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Took it to a classic car show! It was a small show in Scotland, a few dozen cars, jeeps and tractors, and I wasn't entered in it, just there to meet friends. The blue ship was parked further up the field from the "parade" area but it got lots of attention!
Funnily enough the first thing everyone asked was "is that an electric car?"

·
Registered
412 Posts
My little 2001 Silver MT is on the Prolong charge/discharge cycle. I have had the Prolong gear for a while but was unable to set the Insight aside for three or four days and depend on the Citroën 2CV. I have a 2009 Honda Fit which has a dead battery, and I just could not seem to get around to putting in a new one. But, the battery in my Insight also fits a Fit. So, new battery for Insight and xfer the old battery to the Fit.

The Fit I have uses a different size battery than the Insight ;o( So now I have two batteries for the Insight and need one, new, for the Fit. So, I bought one and put it in. The lights work! I checked the Fuelio app on my phone and I last filled the Fit up with gas 14 months ago. I put the key in, the dash lights came on and I turned the key and after fourteen months this car started like it had not been started in fourteen minutes. Just another reason to love Hondas. 106000 miles on the odometer.

The Insight is on Prolong charge #1. I'll start the discharge late tomorrow night, and then charge, and then discharge, and then charge, and then discharge and then charge and I am done. Four charges, three discharges. Rejuvenated battery pack. I may have to attach a drag chute to slow he car with all the new energy. ;)

Finished the four charges/three discharges cycle. Hats off to BumbleBee and Prolong. Kind of have a new car.

At first the gauge said ~1/4 full, then after a couple of miles it said 81% which is as high as I have seen it go. The car is smoother getting in and out of lean burn and has a bit more power. It also keeps the battery at or above 60%. I did some hill climbing that drew it down. I'll get that back in regen when I leave.

All in all, the grid charge seems all it is touted to be. Color me happy.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Reupholstered my custom armrest for the 6th gen Civic center console (the black fake leather was making my arm sweat) and installed a Rockwell RW8CA 8" sub.

Before:

After:

Rockwell sub install, underneath the driver's seat. Followed samwichse's recommendation and added 1" rear and 1/2" front spacers so the sub would fit underneath. Sounds great.

Now it's pretty,,nice job.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Installed a LED flasher relay and rear LED turn signals. Fronts will go in when I rotate the tires.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Gave my poor car a much-overdue oil change, fixed a problem with my grid charger, and installed a motor cover plate for my removed power steering.

It's nice that we have a lift at work (we don't do car work, but it's leftover from the previous tenant in our rented warehouse space):

Also, on my last oil change, Scott installed a Fumoto valve (and did a great job, too - I just noticed the sealant he put on there). Very convenient!

@highwater made this awesome motor cover plate if you've removed your power steering. I did it a couple years ago but I've just had the motor in there the whole time. Now I can save a couple pounds and it looks more finished. :)
The o-ring came from the motor, so it's a perfect fit too.

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
There's not gonna be any noticeable MPG improvement from removing the power steering, either through weight or usage in electricity. I was being cheeky with my comment on saving a few pounds. :p

I prefer how the steering feels without the power steering. The PS on the Insight works very well and it is feather-light to steer, but you lose a lot of "road feel" and it doesn't center itself very well. It's more fun to drive with no power steering because now you actually have to hold the steering wheel on a turn and you can feel the road much better through the wheel.

Some people like it, some people don't. This is probably the biggest thread on the subject:

·
Registered
101 Posts

Before:

After:

Yes! I like that! Now when you feel a rumble you may be confused for a second if it's something you need to quickly pull over for or...:oops:😜😆:poop:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Changed the oil after ~5800 miles again with Pennzoil 0w20 full synthetic, replaced the oil filter, and rotated the tires.

Yes! I like that! Now when you feel a rumble you may be confused for a second if it's something you need to quickly pull over for or...:oops:😜😆:poop:
Haha true, it definitely makes itself felt on songs with heavier bass!

3661 - 3680 of 3691 Posts
About this Discussion
3.7K Replies
365 Participants
Pierromcdo
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing