Honda Insight Forum banner

3721 - 3740 of 4071 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I changed the cabin air filter. It appears it has been changed in the past. Hopefully it smells better after I got the junk out of there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drove to school on my brand spankin' new Bumblebee battery.

Then I tried and failed to find and purchase 1, a new underbody shield/panel (I have the original, but no fasteners, thus..) and/or 2, the fasteners to hold the panel up.

·
Premium Member
10,332 Posts
Welcome to the family. Please include your Location in your Profile as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You
Willie

·
Premium Member
10,332 Posts
You might have several Insighters close by. If you need help on posting your Location, let me know. It is very simple to do. 4 steps IIRR.
Willie

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,597 Posts
Today I took my own advice and bypassed my IMA. This might be temporary, I am going to cycle the pack over this week and see how it looks after. I might end up going LTO in the end. But for now I get to try driving a bypassed Insight.

I also got a real 12v battery and removed my IMA battery stick 12v setup. I didn't trust the sticks to hold a charge well enough to start the car every day.

This is a group U1 battery for like a riding mower or something. It weighs 9lbs less than the traditional Group 51 batteries.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Did you bypass the starter relay too? It's pretty easy and only takes a few minutes, and prevents the long delay in starting off the 12V starter.

Mileage should be the same unless you have one of the Insights that doesn't go into lean burn with the bypass without an arduino.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Did my semi-annual grid charge, now that it’s the End of Hot Weather. All set until next spring!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I am attempting a recovery of a Honda stick that's probably been sitting around for at least three years. It measured 2.5 volts. I dumped about 800 mAH of charge in it, then disharged it, then put in 800 mAH at 6 amps, then 2000 mAH at 4 amps. The cells are currently within 10-20 mV of each other, and am now adding more charge at 2 amps. Using a charger made for RC vehicles. It stops automatically when it thinks the battery is full. I have no idea how it determines this. I've been noodling on my own version that conditions sticks in a cell individually using six Arduinos, six FETs, and 12 USB chargers.

This stick is going to replace a non-Honda stick. The pack with the non-Honda sticks had a bunch of sticks with slight to some corrosion on the end :-(

·
Registered
724 Posts
I wouldn't mix Honda sticks with aftermarket sticks. The aftermarket ones are probably Chinese and of low quality.
Good point. I don't have much choice, though without dumping a bunch of cash into this CVT. I do have an in-car stick pair monitoring project in progress. It should be very interesting to see how the imbalance between cell brands develops under different loads and voltages. Worst case, every other stick will end up being a Honda stick. (Or maybe they all will...)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Went for a drive to enjoy the refreshed battery. What a difference a charging can make!

Re-coated the headlight covers. Didn’t do the whole sanding bit, just the UV stuff since they were clear when wet. Not perfect, but good enough.

Buffed the exterior of the windshield and rear window with 0000 steel wool, applied 2 coats of RainX and wiped the glass down with a damp cloth.

All set for the next 6 months!

·
Registered
724 Posts
@*sean* you're too bright to be messing around with NiMH. Why not try a lithium conversion?
because the conversion for one car would cost more than I paid for both!!!

Also, because it will take me a couple of years to read through all the conversion threads!

I probably will do a lithium conversion someday, perhaps around this time next year.

3721 - 3740 of 4071 Posts