Honda Insight Forum banner

3821 - 3840 of 3862 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I watched glass installers put a new windshield in my Insight. I've done this myself. Learned a few things:
  • I pulled the door molding, wipers, and lower windshield molding myself. If you don't, expect the installers to not have clips and instead use extra windshield sealant to the glue the moldings back on.
  • If you like the Insight molding on the top of the windshield, order one from Honda ahead of time, otherwise the molding will not have the channel between the top of the glass and roof.
  • Ditto for the foam block between the windshield and the interior trim; however, it is applied to the windshield, so this requires extra coordination with the installer. Otherwise expect no replacement foam to be supplied.
  • If you want to run wires out of the cabin, this is a good time to do it - just run them out the windshield hole to where they need to go. Make sure the installers apply caulk around the wire and sill ideally before they lay the bead, but that might not be necessary. This might later be a source of leaks so consider the location and routing carefully.
  • The installer used a battery operated caulk gun which worked much better than the electric caulk gun I built from a hand drill. They laid a much cleaner bead.
  • Put the mirror onto the new glass before installing it. I had trouble with this the last time (I actually cracked the glass around the button). The installer spent 15 minutes trying to attach the mirror. The installer admitted that he should have attached the mirror before putting the glass in.
  • The installer gave up trying to attach the mirror to the button while in the car. He pulled out a torch, and with me thinking "this will not end well", heated the button for a few seconds, and pulled it off with a pliers. (I think he attached the bolt without the mirror to grab with the pliers.) He then solidly attached the button to the mirror, scraped off the old adhesive, glued the mirror/button back onto the windshield, held it there for two minutes, and then told me not to adjust the mirror for two days.
  • The button adhesive he used consisted of a primer (Loctite SF 736, in a spray can; the label also says "known as Loctite 736 Primer Lockquic" - part number 73656) and a "glass bonding / rearview mirror adhesive" (in a small dropper bottle, Loctite AA 312, "known as Loctite 312 Adhesive Minute Bond", part number 03325).

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have been experiencing lower gas mileage lately. So when I got to the shop this morning. I check the air pressure. Found it. Back tire only 70 psi. I nursed it back to health .with some atmospheric pressure condense to 110 psi.I can now cancel the Xanax prescription for all my worries on MPG. One 60 PSI tire loses 15 mpg on my car. I love the smell of psi in the morning. I don't know that Xanax is pretty good. Maybe I can find something else to worry about 😬

·
Super Moderator
7,274 Posts
Interesting. So you think that if you lower the average fuel pressure, you'll get slower flow and better vaporization?

I may get surprised, but it seems that the flow in the lines is set by the orifice in the fuel Injection line, but I don't know. Lowering the pressure may slow the flow, but then you may have to retune the orifice size.

·
Registered
866 Posts
It's another lonely evening – But I ain't too young to worry and I am not too old to cry when my mileage gets me down. Got another empty bottle and another empty bed.and I am not too young to admit it and I am not too old to lie I'm just another empty head. That's whyi am lonely I am so lonely but I tell you what am I gonna do I'm going to ride on.

I have a toggle switch on my fuel relay. It's inside the car duck taped to the five speed shifter. When the gasoline is cold - driving uphill the car runs out of gas in six seconds. But after the car gets hot or the gas gets hot vapor. 10 to 12 seconds . Before the car runs out. It will sit and idle or tick tick for over three minutes when the gas is hot after driving 10 miles. On flat level driving 40 miles an hour the car will go 1 mile with the switch turned off. But when I turn the switch back on the car is almost instantly or the gas line is instantly recharged. So it will be hard to adjust. When the car is cold the pump can be turned on every five seconds never miss a lick . But when the gas is hot vapor could probably go every 10 seconds.

More facts ---my semi truck as cold as it is now. Water temperature stays around 185° to 190° on flat travel. But when I climb the bluff at the Mississippi river. The temperature goes up to 200
degrees. Because it's burning so much more fuel. my little nothing car does the same thing.

Standing on the edge of the road thumb in the air One of these days one of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways until then I'll just keep riding on and on and on and on

I found the "return "button. I love the "return" button early in the morning. The video below explains a lot it's on YouTube.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
New headlights installed. I didn't move my projectors and HIDs over and opted to try LEDs instead. The cutoff is surprisingly good, but the brightness is lacking compared with HIDs, even if it's still superior to halogens.

View attachment 83385 View attachment 83386

Did the LED bulbs clear the rubber gasket? I'm thinking of upgrading to LED in my Insight, but it seems like most bulbs on the market won't clear the rubber gasket to seal up the housing.

·
Registered
866 Posts
More deep cottonplanting thoughts.
Cold car -fuel pump turned off the car will not start. Because cold gas is fairly stable does not expand much. But just seconds of exhaust going through the catalytic converter makes the gasoline vaporize . I also learned there are serval different family members in gasoline. Some evaporate much more quickly than others. I don't think I ever achieve 100% vapor .i'm thinking at best 95%. Which is good the liquid that does go through probably protects my pistons from overheating. I also have water vapor going in the vacuum chamber.
But after driving 10 miles it's hot and vaporized. And with the fuel pump turned off the car will idle close to four minutes.
I don't know if it will make any difference what the car burns if the fuel pump stays on all the time or not. But if it stayed off 90% of the time. That would reduce electrical demand .if the car is not charging it's getting better mileage. When I run the car with the fuel pump turned off and on I never notice any difference in mileage.
Let's just say I'm fishing to see what happens.
Another thing – it just don't compute if I make the offices smaller the mileage doesn't show up on the dash correctly. Which is also reducing flow. But if I turn the fuel pump off that does not happen . The car burns so much more fuel going uphill it's probably the reason. At one time I had a 15 pound pressure regulator for propane gas on my fuel line. It worked fine on flat level. But I would have to down shift to fourth or third gear while climbing hills. Because the car couldn't get enough gas. and the effect was much worse after 10 miles because the vapor has less energy. A mile from my house I thought the 15 pound pressure regulator was just the ticket. Before I got to work I stopped and took it off could not make the last overpass hill. And the car was pre- detonating instead of the spark plug timing. I know a whole lot about how to do this the wrong way. This all started July 2.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Took off underbody panels so I don't lose them all in the snow. Installed some dzus quick release bolts for the skirts. Brand New Nokian LRR tires. Tire air pressure up to 65psi. And a lower grill block!
Also my wife thinks this car is perfect for a baby changing station

Planned: new sound system and some sound deadening

·
Registered
866 Posts
I don't want to lower the pressure. Directly. I want less cold gasoline being introduced into the copper tubing. That way it will get hot quicker. The quicker vapor picker upper.

---- what would happen if we put toggle switch and left it off on the windshield wiper motors on the windshield. Then run the hot wire from the windshield wiper motor to the fuel relay and hooked it up. I could set it to different intermediate speeds with the windshield wiper control on the steering wheel column. I would need a test light light to see what is hot in the fuel relay plug to eliminate it . Just something to think about.

------ some frustrating counterpoints-- I would have to put the steering wheel column back in the dash in front of the driver seat where it was when I first got the car.
----- on my windshield wiper it stays off for five seconds and then comes on for probably two seconds.

-----notable notes. I enjoy this car so much I wished I could have been born smarter instead of so good looking so I could work on my car more productively. --ps--I love the smell of aluminum in the morning🤓

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Did the LED bulbs clear the rubber gasket? I'm thinking of upgrading to LED in my Insight, but it seems like most bulbs on the market won't clear the rubber gasket to seal up the housing.
I trimmed the jacket a bit. They come with a rubber boot that you slide up the heat sink which finishes sealing up the housing. So, yes, it does seal.

·
Registered
866 Posts
This video below tells everything you would ever want to know about windshield wiper motors. The hi and low here to there everywhere and back again. Every little nookie morsel gram particle quantum gravity well planks length Higgs bozon Of information is represented here except – except for the information I was longing for. How to piggyback the intermediate wire from the motor to the fuel relay. I learned a lot about the car today. The people from Japan probably have very small hands and terrific eye vision and lots and lots and lots of patients.

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
Remember laugh in.

This just in .
The fuel pump relay is next-door neighbor to the windshield wiper intermediate relay . I need about 2 inches of wire to make the jump. One small step for a fuel pump relay One huge leap for the lowly windshield wiper motor.
I'm beginning to see the day when all the Honda Insight's red blue gray and even though you would never want to admit it The citrus yellow you have to watch them will all get 100 mpg.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Now that I know everything there is to know about intermediate windshield wiper relay . And it's kissing cousin fuel pump relay. .and how each respectfully work in it's on world. And how to bridge them together to get better control of fuel pump efficiency .

Well I realize I'm stealing all of the limelight. So at this time I would like for someone else who has already done the described above. Come on here and tell everybody else how to it.

Would like to give everyone and equal chance to shine. I'm sure some people are stumbling do you need to Bridge two pins between the two relays because one won't do it. The hammer does not work nor a crows foot or a crowbar

I bet a lot of folks don't even care if they could control the fuel pump anymore. They just want to see how in this world it can be done if it even can.

The particle Excelerator in Cern Switzerland is a walk in the park compared to the intermediate really wiper motor controller. I don't know what the antimatter to bozon do about this dimensional Quasi quantum Pythagoras's theorem quagmire to do next. So let's share in the limelight. 🤓

·
Registered
199 Posts
I believe it was P0505. It's gone now, though.
That’s good to know. I was wii ok madero has if a p1167 or p1168 might also be caused by that as well. When I cleaned the EGR plate I neglected to clean the EGR valve and wondered because before I did, the codes would immediately pop up but now they take awhile and sometimes it’s only one code that comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Replaced my front pads and rotors and cleaned and adjusted the rear shoes, the front rotors were 1.4mm under limit lol plenty of pad left but changed them anyway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
3821 - 3840 of 3862 Posts