Honda Insight Forum banner

3861 - 3880 of 4195 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,596 Posts
Please include your location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Drove my car home tonight . Tried to stay on 150 mpg . I was able to do it even though it is very cold . How you might say . TopSpeed 45 miles an hour. It won't do it at 50 it's too cold . By the way

I noticed the website on Facebook. Gasoline vapor system .I told them about my modified gas line. And then they blocked me. And no did not put any pictures of good looking girls on there.I think I can do for $40 what other people do for thousands and thousands.my modification takes about 30 minutes. But just to be safe to be sure and get it done 31 minutes .

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,596 Posts
Nathan:
Until you get a measurement of "fuel used", most people won't believe you. An "exact measurement", not using the fuel gauge.
Good Luck
Willie

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing for a while now. Given the Nathan's extensive modifications, the FCD gauge readings are meaningless in comparison to other Insights. I would want to see 3-5 tank-to-tank fill ups with a minimum of 8 gallons per refueling.

The tires also need to be the stock size so that no more than 1-2% odometer error occurs. If the vehicle is running smaller diameter tires, that will cause the odometer readings to be high and consequently cause inflated MPG numbers.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I've got RE 92's on the front. 110 psi .also have witnesses . When I do the gas station and fill up routine .I only get a little over 100 mpg. But by the dash it's easy to stay at 1:50 mpg at 50 mph. Also have a witness on that .

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've owned my Insight for 4 years and it occurred to me that I'd never checked the tire pressure of the spare. It's a bit of a pain because you have to remove the tire to check it. As I suspected, it was nearly flat. Only 10 lbs pressure. I didn't feel like leaving my warm garage, so I pumped it up to 60 lbs with a bicycle pump. That was a bit of a workout. So... another thing to put on my annual checklist.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Installed my new OBDC&C from Peter this morning before my commute. Need to find a mount for it as I had to put it in the cup holder.

First of all, I have had my insight for about 12,000 miles now. Got it in May of this year. I must not have been lean burning AT ALL this entire time. I really had no idea how gutless lean burn is. In 5th gear, with the green LED on the C&C, I'm dropping from 65 MPH to like 45 MPH, which is definitely not appreciated on an NJ highway commute haha. Now, in 4th gear I am actually able to somewhat maintain speed and Lean Burn, but I only figured that out at the end of my commute, so we'll see tonight if that's the way to go. Seems like 5th is excess now haha. For those of you that are part of the Lean Burn life, do you still use 5th?

Also, if anyone cares, I am running my new Vredestein Quattrac 5's. Aired them up to 50 PSI. Definitely grippier than the old Bridgestones. I never had new Bridgestones on this car, so I cannot speak for how they are. These Quattracs like to howl on the road when they were at 33 PSI from the shop. Pushing them up to 50 seemed to alleviate the howl.

I cannot speak for MPG numbers yet on the Quattracs. I will throw out the numbers from this tank of gas as it was split between the Bridgestones, underinflated Quattracs, and now 50 PSI Quattracs. However, I will say, if you value safety on the road, I think these are MUCH better than the Bridgestones. It has been very wet in NJ the last two days, and I have not spun the tires from a stop, which happened a lot on my 5 year old Bridgestones. I feel much more confident with these tires. Interested to see what the numbers are, as I have been keeping track for the last 12k miles on the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
On newish RE 92 tires I run 100 psi and sometimes up to 130 psi that helps On TLB. Also hot air intake helps a lot .and the grill block. removing the passenger seat . And a sponge under the gas pedal. Remove the muffler 8 pounds Deleted and took the hybrid battery out 75 pounds plus I got under tray front bumper to back bumper .there's one more thing I've done but I can't remember right now

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
When I first got my car two years nine months ago Mine would do the same as yours. Had to be gradually slowing down all the time to stay in LBin fifth gear now I can go up hill in 70 MPG lb. and much better LB on the flats

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting. Ok. Seems to me that LB in 4th is the way to go now on my commutes. I'll consider fabbing up a grill block and/or hot air intake, but I do not want to do a few of the other things you have done. We're all unique in how far into the hypermiling we're willing to go with these cars. I am personally not going far at all as this is a second car just for commutes.

·
Super Moderator
8,164 Posts
Now that you have the green light on the OBDII C&C you will always know when you are in LB.

The Quattrac's may have just higher rooling resistance to give you problems sustaining LB, but yes it is always a marginal situation. Even with the RE-92s most cars will have trouble sustaining LB above 60mph on the level. It is a delicate balance, and the RE-92s are a part. I think the overall condition of the ICE and the tune can make some difference between cars.

It found it very convenient to use Velcro to mount the gauge on top of the dash. Puts it right close to the road line of sight. Only negative is that the adhesive is hard to get off the dash if it sets too long. I usually renew my Velcro each summer, and move the gauge slightly, to avoid damaging the dash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ooo interesting. What do you reckon the 0-60 is compared to what it was?
I'll do a highway run soon and let you know. It's definitely noticeable. The motor pulls along pretty easy when going 25 mph in 3rd gear now.

1st gear pulls are pretty fun. I've been mia due to the shop that recently inspecting my car forgetting to tighten down all 4 lug nuts on my front right wheel and they started to back off...but all is good now.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
You just added a lot of load to the rear wheel bearings just saying

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've done this too. I was very skeptical of this, but it helped tremendously with tranlining on our rutted roads and in snow and slush. Rear bearings are easy to replace, and I'll gladly do that every few years (if it comes to that) rather be more likely to end up in a ditch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Decided to embrace the mismatched a-pillar that came with the car. Still keeping an eye out for the right one, though. This sticker only looks good from 20 feet away.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Decided to embrace the mismatched a-pillar that came with the car. Still keeping an eye out for the right one, though. This sticker only looks good from 20 feet away.
View attachment 83734
Reminds me a bit of those old “California” paint jobs you used to see on VW Bugs.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,596 Posts
David:
Please include your Location in your Profile as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank you.
7.9K? need more information.
Willie

Moderator Note: The user, David Romeo, that Willie replied to here has been banned for forum spamming. This also means all posts by said user have been wiped as well.

Bull Dog - InsightCentral Moderator

3861 - 3880 of 4195 Posts