Honda Insight Forum banner

3901 - 3920 of 4245 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,206 Posts
Sean, I feel that this is so significant that it should not be "buried" down in a "minor" thread, but rather made a separate thread. Unfortunately, the new system does not have enough flexibility for moderator to construct a new thread by copying from other threads. I've tried various approaches and it just doesn't work.

Could you start a new separate thread with this material, starting at post #3890 above.

I have also sent you a PM(Conversation).

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Does this mean a bad stick can be identified. And you just swap it out with another one close to the state of charge of the others. ?

Or bad pair

·
Super Moderator
8,206 Posts
It would help considerably in identifying a bad pair, not an individual stick.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I took this whatchamacallit Out of the car. It was underneath the steering wheel. Probably weighs as much as a Big Mac and fries. But for the next hundred thousand miles I won't be carrying it .

Should increase my 0 to 60 time to one week.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
I tried to install new brake lines...tried. Amazingly challenging and frustrating. Looks like I will have to drop gas tank and related stuff just to have a clear shot at replacing. All those rusty bolts are intimidating. I busted one line holder bolt off in front and one in back just spins like my head right now.

I bought stainless lines with lifetime warranty from All Products but honestly, I’d rather pull and swap an engine for the amount of rusty bolt frustration I’m experiencing now.

Has anyone else shared in my frustration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think may LTO converters would benefit from this mod, especially for ~$25, can I assume that anyone's BCM can be modified in that way? Can I also assume the same wires / connections used with the BCM Fooler from Peter are are connected to your Arduino, and a Bluetooth module? Can you provide more detail.

View attachment 83969
The modification is basically what Peter describes in his video, which is entirely internal to the low voltage side of a stock Honda BCM, and powered by it, with the difference being that he fed his data into a wired-up LCD display and I fed mine into an Android phone through a Bluetooth connection. There are no external connections; it's all in the BCM.

The big problem, which Peter and others point out in the surrounding posts, is that it's a difficult modification. If done wrong, it may brick the BCM, or worse, NOT brick the BCM and cause stick voltages to be incorrectly reported. If an errant stick were to go unnoticed, with many (all?) aftermarket packs being supplied with the PTC circuit disabled, there no longer is a way to detect a single runaway cell in a pack unless it happens to be one of the four cells that remain monitored. It presents mechanical challenges as well. It looks like Peter used glue gun glue to support his fine wires which is effective for vibration and lab use, but may fail in the back of an Arizona car. This is why I did it to a spare BCM for my short test, and not the one in the car.

I was initially quite excited but am no longer for this and a number of other reasons. I will defer to @retepsnikrep regarding other questions on how he's implemented stick-level monitoring for his LTO-enabling stuff (which honestly I haven't had the time to follow, as much as I want to!)

As for the display, turns out it was relatively trivial to interface to a serial Bluetooth module (the user interface code complexity moves from the device to the phone). However, the question of FCC certification remains if it is incorporated into a product (no, for many reasons I'm not considering productizing this at all; I'm thinking how nice it would be for designs like the OBDIIC&C). There are, however, Bluetooth modules that are already FCC certified, such as that in the Arduino Nano 33 IoT. This can avoid some of the most expensive part of FCC testing for a product. While there apparently is no FCC certification required if a device is for a car and contains no intentional radiators (transmitters) (Could Your Product be Exempt from EMC Testing Altogether? | EMC FastPass), I don't know what is required if it goes in a car and has an intentional radiator but that intentional radiator is a module which has been certified separately.

I would argue that getting an answer to this, which could open the door for the use of Bluetooth and Android phones as user interfaces for Insight products, or at least produce a description of the process and potential costs for a project that might go this route, might be worth a call to a firm like Adafruit or Sparkfun, an FCC test house, and/or a Kickstarter to fund a couple of hours of time with an attorney who specializes in FCC certification (and they do exist.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
In the last week I've
- Removed seat covers and washed in the washing machine and removed all stains and smells. Thanks, @Bull Dog

-deleted rear windshield wiper and replaced with black painted sink plug Thanks, @Nizidramaniiyt

-Reupholstered headliner with gray leather vinyl

-replaced battery with a yellow top optima

-Did oil change with 0w-16 oil

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,678 Posts
Neko:
Please include your Location in your Profile. Thank You

·
Registered
41 Posts
Went to the junk yard today and got some new door handles off a 1996 Accord and put them on my insight
Thanks @davismltc

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Replaced the Oil Cooler hoses (at the oil filter) during the complete fluid change service.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Took it skiing... test drive up Parley’s canyon, a major mountain pass on I-80. I expected to be crawling at 45 with my blinkers on with the big rigs, but I was really surprised at how happy the car was cruising at 65 uphill in third gear.

(also, insight, Prius, Tesla... how cool is that??)

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
I drove my G1 after installing a grid charger and completing my first 24 hour grid charge last night.

What a difference! Big increase in the amount of available assist power. Especially noticeable getting the car rolling going up a hill. It's also a lot happier starting from second gear from a slow roll, making it much more pleasant to drive in city traffic.

I'm a happy camper. Looking forward to seeing how long these results last. Fingers crossed I can keep this battery happy for a while with routine grid charging.

·
Registered
388 Posts
New tires mounted and balanced today. Two 20-something motor-head techs at the garage came in the lobby to tell me that I had “the coolest ride in town.”

They commented on how the dash was “perfect” with nothing but what you need, and how much fun it was to drive, being a stick and all. I mentioned this site, but when I told them about the K-swaps they really lit up.

One told me that if I ever wanted to sell mine to be sure to talk to him first. So I will, when the time comes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
First oil change since I installed the Fumoto valve. Wow, that’s slick. Now the easiest oil change in the fleet... once I get it up on the ramps. It’s too low to climb them without an altitude boost off a 2x6.

Also changed the oil on the Subaru and the ‘65 Rambler, since it was a balmy 30 degrees in Wisconsin.

Park

·
Registered
654 Posts
I drove my G1 after installing a grid charger and completing my first 24 hour grid charge last night.

What a difference! Big increase in the amount of available assist power. Especially noticeable getting the car rolling going up a hill. It's also a lot happier starting from second gear from a slow roll, making it much more pleasant to drive in city traffic.

I'm a happy camper. Looking forward to seeing how long these results last. Fingers crossed I can keep this battery happy for a while with routine grid charging.
BumbleBee - who know batteries - and others on the board suggest the three cycle charge/discharge/charge cycle. Each discharge taking the battery a bit lower. I do not know squat about batteries but the folks on this board who do know squat about batteries seem to agree this is the way to go. Prolong is recommended. Here is a link to their site so you can check out their FAQ.

Prolong Battery Systems. Extending the life of your hybrid. — Hybrid Automotive

·
Registered
42 Posts
I changed the oil. I used Redline 0w-20. I also used the Mobil 1 M1-110A filter as it is a little longer than the M1-108A.

·
Registered
374 Posts
First oil change since I installed the Fumoto valve. Wow, that’s slick. Now the easiest oil change in the fleet...
Park
I don’t use a ramp to change my oil, all accessible from ground. But that valve may be something I install. I bet it’s easy! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3901 - 3920 of 4245 Posts