Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 3719 Posts

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
What product? My lights are so dirty you can't see the bulbs. Figure it's only a matter of time til they fail annual PA inspection.
I bought a 3M kit at my local automotive store. It has 4 different grades of sanding and polishing. My headlight lenses look like brand new now. When I started with the first two grades, it looked like the lights were ruined (as the store clerk advised me that I would see, but not to worry). By the time I got to the polishing compound with soft pad (easily attached to any drill motor) they looked crystal clear. Put in some silver star replacement bulbs too. Night vision greatly improved. :D About $15 for my kit. Polished my trucks' lights and the wifes lights too. A coat of UV protective car polish helps keep the lenses clear (so the instruction sheet says).

..Bob

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
I made a chart using the required / recommended maintenance from the OM, and IC experts' suggestions, listing by mileage (155k, 160k, etc) what I need to have done. Helpful reminder for a forgetful old guy.

..Bob
That may something nice to share with the rest of us forgetful people. ;)
I'm a dinosaur when it comes to uploading info like a photo. So here's a description of what I did:

From the OM I listed in alphabetical order (easy to read for dinosaurs like me) a list of all suggested maintenance and at which mileage it should be done;
eg: Air Filter, 30k; Belts (inspect) 30k; Oil, 7.5k; Oil filter 15k; Plugs 105k; tire rotation, 7.5k. I numbered each item (the ones listed in this example could be 1 thru 6). I made another list of mileage milestones 7.5, 15, 22.5, 30, etc; and beside each milestone listed the maintenance items due (eg: 30k: 1,2,3,4,&6).

I compare the odometer to my list periodically and conduct or schedule the needed checks.

A simple paper tablet for me make sure I cover all the bases.:D I also add in some other maintenance I read about here at IC.

..Bob

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oh! I get it, like a 3M PMS Board!!! Nice!

Check Oil: W1; Oil Change: Q1; etc

Go Navy! :D

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I installed the wiring harness for Jeff's simple grid charger today! The charger works, but now I just need to find enough time to let it charge.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Drove 335 miles across I-40 from Little Rock to OKC... averaged 77mpg. In a 60mph construction zone where it was single-lane ops, I had a guy pass me on the shoulder. Driving at the speed limit was just not fast enough I guess. I've been that guy when I was much younger and in a bigger hurry, so before I start sounding like a hypocrite....

Hope all you Insight'rs had a great weekend.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
I installed the wiring harness for Jeff's simple grid charger today! The charger works, but now I just need to find enough time to let it charge.
Awesome!

I haven't done anything for four days, let alone car stuff. Been really sick with the flu :-(

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Revitalized the headlights.

Bought the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit with the 500, 800, 1200 grit sanding disks and other buffers. They attach to the drill. Then you go to town!...Until your rechargeable battery on the drill dies. Then you wait an hour for it to charge. And you sand and buff again. Then you recharge the battery again. Then you buff some more.

Finally, after the rubbing compound...Your headlights look brand new!

The kits cost about $20 and there is a $5 rebate on them right now. Also on sale at PepBoys Auto Parts.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Rolled into Long Island, NY last night around 7PM, left Phoenix Metro around 10AM on Saturday.

2,696.3 miles, 72.1MPG. (+/- $112.00 in gas)

Spent more on three Motel 6 nights than gas. :D

I'd post a pic of the FCD readout, but apparently the trip odometer rolls over at 2,000 miles though the MPG appears to reflect the cumulative total accurately.

Pretty damn pleased with the performance, though my *** is plenty sore. :p

·
Registered
144 Posts
I put silicone on/in the rubber window tracks and sprayed the latches...and added a nice silver license plate frame front and back.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Revitalized the headlights.

Bought the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit with the 500, 800, 1200 grit sanding disks and other buffers. They attach to the drill. Then you go to town!...Until your rechargeable battery on the drill dies. Then you wait an hour for it to charge. And you sand and buff again. Then you recharge the battery again. Then you buff some more.

Finally, after the rubbing compound...Your headlights look brand new!

The kits cost about $20 and there is a $5 rebate on them right now. Also on sale at PepBoys Auto Parts.
Dinosaur me likes plug in corded drills. :biggrin:

..Bob

·
Registered
436 Posts
So, I just cracked 100K, so I did the spark plugs. Finally removed the coil packs and was able to see the letter "B" cast into each spot. By the way, a quick spritz of water or Windex makes the letter easier to see! The original plugs were correct B indexed and looked great once pulled. I got the replacements from Majestic, along with new bolts for the coils (the originals were rusted at their heads and were crumbling!) I painted the bolt heads with a little Rustoleum to ward off the elements. I also noted that the coils themselves were showing some rust on the stacked plates. I hit them with some rust converter. That could be something for people to check, especially I you live in the rust belts!
As an aside, I noted that the old and new plugs all had their grounding straps nominally toward the passenger side of the vehicle (open toward drivers side). I'm away from home at the moment, but I will go back and look for the "black dot" that I've been reading about, just to be sure.
Of course, I've been running the grill block for the last month!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
On 12 November and 67,323 km (41,833 mi), I prepared my 2000 Insight for its long winter hibernation until late May when we will return to Uppsala, Sweden:

• washed it
• jacked it up on four jack stands in its carport parking stall for the winter
• performed the first rotation of its new RE-92 tires after 8,870 km (5,512 mi)
• inspected the brakes, brake lines, shocks, and suspension bushings
• replaced the engine oil (Mobil 1 0W-20) and filter
• took the 12 v. battery into our apartment for the winter
• covered it with its car cover

On Thursday, I will say "hej då" ("bye") as we depart for Honolulu and the purchase of my new Mitsubishi i-MiEV electric car on 29 December! It will be nice to finally eliminate the ICE from our driving on Oʻahu.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
That's a neat-looking little car. I still think the Insight looks cooler. ;)

Yesterday I installed the Calpod (assist/regen disable) switch. It's a (on)-off-on switch. I'm going to make it so using the momentary side locks a relay on that gets switched off when you press the brakes.
So, essentially, push the switch away from you to disable assist/regen, or momentarily pull it towards you to disable it until you press the brakes again. Maybe I'll add a button to disable it manually, too.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Today I started on the battery switch. Swapping the low mileage Better Battery from the old Blue Insight (125000miles) to the newer Black one (23000 miles) and vice versa.

Got the pack out of the Blue car before rain stopped play.

So I replaced the cabin pollen filter and shampoed the boot carpet on the Black car.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I began machining and welding the metal parts for a cupholder-based mount for my new OBDIIC&C gauge. Once I get further along with the project, I will post some build pics in the gauge thread.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Hrmm, what didn't I do to my Insight today :cool::

Attachments

21 - 40 of 3719 Posts
About this Discussion
3.7K Replies
368 Participants
Saxjonz
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing