Honda Insight Forum banner

4001 - 4020 of 4031 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have 99 percent block .but travel only 8.5 to 10 Miles on The two different destinations i go to. And without the fan I turn the heat on on the dash . Rainsux has checked my temperature twice and it was OK. In the summertime Eyelet Samarian .

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I'd been using a Nano and 3 ads1015s but could not get them to sample within the short sampling window at 100khz, just barely at 1 mhz but the system was unstable and locked up. After posting, was thinking of switching.to a Teensy 3.2 (2 i2c, 5v tolerant inputs) or 3.5 (3 i2c) to parallel the ADCs on separate i2c buses, but the TLS2543IN looks perfect! Ordered; will see how it goes. Thank you!
Wait, now I'm confused at what kind of performance you need. First you said you wanted to sample at 100Hz, but now you're talking 100kHz and 1MHz? But you said your window of time to sample only occurs every 10ms, which would be 100Hz. The ADS1015 can do 3300 samples per second, divided by 4 lines is up to 825Hz sampling.
Are you saying your I2C speed is too slow to read the results in time? Make sure your pullup resistors are small enough for the speeds you're running at, for 1MHz you might need 500 ohm pullups or so.

Maybe we should take this to PMs.

·
Registered
697 Posts
wanted to sample at 100Hz, but now you're talking 100kHz and 1MHz? But you said your window of time to sample only occurs every 10ms, which would be 100Hz.
The window occurs every 10 ms but is only 1.5 ms long. With 100 kHz I2C, I can send/receive 10 I2C bytes per ms, which is the comm needed for one sample. I can get two samples in that window.

At 1 Mhz I2C and interleaving comm for different slaves I was getting 10 samples but too close to the edges of the window leading to noise in the first or last samples. And when I tried a drive test, it became unstable and data stopped flowing regularly.

Rather than determine the exact reason for the instability I considered getting into a more stable regime by using the Teensy 3.2's two I2Cs to divide the bus and effectively widen the sampling window and use an I2C speed of maybe 400 kHz and longer sampling time.

But the part you found should do the trick and uses SPI and avoids I2C foolaroundery. It may let me get multiple samples per channel per window to do some averaging. It should be here by the weekend.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
My take after living in Montreal for a couple of years and riding on Michelin snows in winter up there, if you can't make it with just the snows, stay home. Just like four wheel drive, chains can get you stuck really far from help. And, as usual, YMMV.
I agree. When I worked on a land surveying crew in the Colorado Mountains, the rule was "Keep the truck in 2WD. If you get stuck, use 4WD to get unstuck. We are not going to come rescue you."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just ordered a backing camera and a JVC KD-X560BT 1DIN in-dash receiver with monitor to replace my factory CD/AM/FM...(what's a CD?) from Crutchfield. <Should be> a straight forward install... Any input on the best path to wire from the rear bumper to the dash? Much appreciated. I will update with pics.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just ordered a backing camera and a JVC KD-X560BT 1DIN in-dash receiver with monitor to replace my factory CD/AM/FM...(what's a CD?) from Crutchfield. <Should be> a straight forward install... Any input on the best path to wire from the rear bumper to the dash? Much appreciated. I will update with pics.
Is it a single din with a pop out screen. I was looking at a pioneer.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree. When I worked on a land surveying crew in the Colorado Mountains, the rule was "Keep the truck in 2WD. If you get stuck, use 4WD to get unstuck. We are not going to come rescue you."
When I was a geologist in central PA it was “get stuck and you’re walking out.” Only took one looooong hike for me to learn to stay in 2WD. Lucky for me that it was mud on a spring day and not snow in the winter!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jumped on the bandwagon of replacing the hatch struts. Now I have to figure out what to do with my trusty stick that has served the car so well all this time.

I also replaced the knock sensor on my friend's insight today and found out his fuel line is rotten and leaking, so it's probably a good thing we ended up in the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
My training quote for my field crews: 2wd to go, 4wd high to go thru, 4wd low to go home.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Avensis
2 Posts
Installed new front speakers (Infiniti Reference 6032si) fortunately dropped right in without having to mod the stock speaker covers or cut out the door panels, will prolly do the rears today or tomorrow. Only complication was that they use 4 screws to mount vs. the stocker's three. Was easy enough on the door, re-used the top mounting point and self-tappped the screws on either side into the plastic

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
Nice car and welcome. Hang in with Insight Central for all the tricks and repairs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Indeed. The wealth of knowledge here is staggering. I've nothing to contribute as yet but a lot to learn.

4001 - 4020 of 4031 Posts