Honda Insight Forum banner

4041 - 4060 of 4066 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wasn't today, but a few days back took mine out on the lake for Gymkhana - kindof like autocross, only in this case about a mile from the shore.
Heck... It was so warm here in northern Ohio this winter that I only used my snow thrower 3 times. We already have snowdrops and crocii in bloom and the maples are starting to bud!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Finally put the cross-bar back in my engine bay, after cutting off the L section that originally held the 12v battery. Sanded and cleaned it up, made a bracket for my fuel pressure regulator, and relocated my cruise control actuator onto the bar. Started wiring up my engine kill switch for a fuel economy competition next month.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got my radiator installed. Also finally have enough time to review the quatracs that I replaced my old re92s with. Running both at 45psi I was getting about 64 mpg a tank with the re92s (3 fillups) and 62.5 with the quartracs (2 fillups) as measured by the dash. Not unnoticeable but given the price difference (~$30 per tire) and longevity difference in addition to the noticably better wet stopping power, I can say I'm satisfied enough to keep with the quartracs. I do notice accelerating up hills feels a little harder now though.

A hot air intake was installed on my car when I got it 4 years ago but to get some of that hp back I might want to swap it out and do a partial grill block instead, as doing both feels like flying a little too close to the sun. First I'd want to get a obd temp reader though

·
Registered
320 Posts
...Running both at 45psi I was getting about 64 mpg a tank with the re92s (3 fillups) and 62.5 with the quartracs (2 fillups) as measured by the dash...
I’ve noted about 4mpg decrease with the Quatracts. I was really hoping they’d be quieter and they are at highway speeds, but between 45 and 55 mph they sort of hum in an annoying way. Might be I’m too particular.

Handling and stopping seems far better. Cornering is definitely better. A reasonable trade-off, in opinion. YMMV

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I’ve noted about 4mpg decrease with the Quatracts. I was really hoping they’d be quieter and they are at highway speeds, but between 45 and 55 mph they sort of hum in an annoying way. Might be I’m too particular.

Handling and stopping seems far better. Cornering is definitely better. A reasonable trade-off, in opinion. YMMV
I just put mine back on, in place of my Nokian winter tires, and observed a drop in fuel economy. They also don't seem to hold the road that much better than a good set of Nordman's. I'll probably try something else next time around.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm sure watching the results of driving the Quattracs vs the RE92's. As in all of life it is trade-offs. The G1 Insight is a great car, to us, but we are a distinct minority. So it may be with the Quattracs.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just put mine back on, in place of my Nokian winter tires, and observed a drop in fuel economy. They also don't seem to hold the road that much better than a good set of Nordman's. I'll probably try something else next time around.
I don't know that I'd recommend the Qs.
I do know that the next car I buy is going to be the quietest one I can afford!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I do know that the next car I buy is going to be the quietest one I can afford!
Cybertruck? (got a piggy bank sitting next to the computer, though it might take decades to fill it sufficiently.) It should be quiet, and would fit in well with the collection of kinda oddball cars I've owned.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cybertruck?
Hmm. I had a sudden vision of taking the hatch lid off an Insight and building a bulkhead and rear window right behind the seats. Presto! Cybertruck mini!

The reality is that you’d need to weatherproof the battery compartment, including better insulation or climate control.

This probably occurs to me because my other foot is in the world of Crosley mini cars, where they made a pickup truck by more-or-less cutting off the rear roof of a station wagon. Tiny little bed and lowly 1/4 ton payload, but a surprisingly useful trucklet for small deliveries.

- Park

·
Registered
54 Posts
I changed the engine oil, the gear oil and bled the clutch. I am currently, since the change, getting close to best mileage I have had since purchasing the car a year ago. The gear oil was over due for change, would that increase friction , lowering gas mileage noticeably? Current tank over 70 miles a gal for 500 miles. Lifetime mileage when bought at 212k was 51.9 , at 238k I have brought it up to 55.4.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Found out why my runs and bucks when it goes into lean burn...the contents of the 1st Cat are in the second Cat.
Better than out the second cat and onto the road. I came across the beginnings of a brush fire on a windy day and put it out with some help. Fire department put water on it after putting out the bigger fire further down the road. They found cat slag at the origin.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I CHANGED MY SPARK PLUGS .

THE NEW INSIGHT HAS NOT BEEN GETTING THE 60mpg AVERAGE THAT THE OLD ONE DID .
SO AFTER A SET OF NEW TIRES , I AM LOOKING AT OTHER THINGS .

THE PLUGS IN THE CAR WERE QUITE OLD , THE FIRST ONE WAS STUCK AND TOOK SOME DOING TO REMOVE .
THE SECOND ONE WAS LOOSE AND COMBUSTION GASSES WERE GETTING BY IT .
THIRD ONE WAS OK BUT NONE OF THEM LOOKED GOOD .

FRESH TANK OF GAS TOMORROW AND I WILL RESET THE GASMILEAGOMETER TO SEE IF IT HELPS .

4041 - 4060 of 4066 Posts