Honda Insight Forum banner

4141 - 4160 of 4192 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
since acquiring another NiMH powered G1 Insight, I'd recently discovered that the grid charger I built many years ago no longer functions, and I'm building a new one myself. Well, I'm building a few actually. I'll follow up with some pictures in a bit, and link one (or two) in the for sale section.

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
Hypermiled some. Conditions very good in Richmond - hot and humid. Got108 and change over a hill course on I64 west of Richmond. Need to get my MIMA and my FAS circuit working. Mostly 50 mph and above.

Looked some more for source of my underhood rattle.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,716 Posts
@Usmcluberti
You also need a wire harness to plug it into. Prolong harnsesses cost around $85 I believe. Other chargers will have different harnesses. Prolong Charger is like $600 if I remember right but it does everything for you. A Genesis One is also really good, but the wiring is way more complicated because of the temperature sensors. Genesis Ones sometimes come up for sale in the Buy and Sell.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
@Usmcluberti
You also need a wire harness to plug it into. Prolong harnsesses cost around $85 I believe. Other chargers will have different harnesses. Prolong Charger is like $600 if I remember right but it does everything for you. A Genesis One is also really good, but the wiring is way more complicated because of the temperature sensors. Genesis Ones sometimes come up for sale in the Buy and Sell.
I use Neutrik SPX connectors for my grid chargers. they are slick, heavy duty, and well constructed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How much would one of these cost? I'm super dumb with the battery side of things and have no clue where to start. I have a factory replaced honda IMA (I think that's what the paperwork included with my car stated). The IMA light randomly came on the other day and I reset it and its been fine since. I let it charge by idling then drained it by driving it hard and did that three times also.
I paid a little under $150 for a new grid charger on eBay and $200 for a used smart discharger from a forum member.

I’m very amateur at electric work and don’t particularly enjoy it, so worth it for the convenience for me!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Changed out the motor mounts...weren't too bad but definitely a little dry rotted. The jerkiness in first gear is completely gone though so overall a success!
20200518_202140.jpg

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,716 Posts

This is one of my EFAS PCBs and a SPDT NKK momentary pushbutton switch. EFAS lets you, at the push of a button, get the car (5MT only!) to enter Auto-Stop at any speed.

Yesterday I installed this one in Adria's Insight while she did a double-din dash bezel install.

You have to get to the ECM to splice into one wire and cut the VSS wire to intercept its signal when the button is pressed.

While I was working on that Adria did the double-din install. Here she's making a new hole to accomodate the 12v socket. Don't worry, we checked to make sure there's no wires or anything behind where she was cutting.

Here I have EFAS partially wired up. In her car it will live under the cupholder.

EFAS wiring completed. The way it works is, if she shifts into neutral, she can push the shifter a little farther to the left than one normally would to get first or 2nd gear. If she does that it hits the switch which activates (in her case) two SPDT solid-state relays. One sends a fake signal of either 1 MPH or 0 MPH (depending on the situation) to the ECM while the other relay deactivates her "calpod" clutch switch if it was turned on. All she has to do is very lightly tap the brake while holding the shifter to the left and the car will enter Auto-Stop at any speed.

This is not an "Injector Kill" type stall -- the ECM actually initiates Auto-Stop and you get the little indicator flashing and so forth.

·
Registered
142 Posts
EFAS wiring completed.
Tidy installation. It looks like you can complete everything, including tapping into the ECM wire, from under the center console and bottom of the dash. Are you selling these EFAS kits now?

- Park

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
847 Posts
Warm weather means better mileage. I drove RT Detroit - Chicago - Detroit this past weekend. Average speed over whole trip was 67.8 mph; 653 miles and 8.85 gal. = 73.8 mpg. Not totally flat geography but undulating surface and not windy. Obviously near perfect conditions.

·
Registered
791 Posts
if she shifts into neutral, she can push the shifter a little farther to the left than one normally would to get first or 2nd gear. If she does that it hits the switch which activates (in her case) two SPDT solid-state relays.
I brought with me to the last Insightfest, and forgot to give you, a couple of hall effect switches, after reading your post last year about this idea (great idea, BTW.) You would attach a magnet to the shifter and use the hall effect switch as an Arduinos input instead of a mechanical switch.

·
Registered
791 Posts
While cruising the site for some info for one of my Insight projects, I stumbled across this post in the Incredible Burger thread. I found it contained a remarkable amount of wisdom and felt it was worth reposting.

I don’t know much. But one thing I do know. I don’t know much!

It is preferable to me to be mad. It’s a lot easier to be mad than to be scared or afraid.

it’s something a lot of people never think of —it’s much more enjoyable to be happy.

I went years not being happy. I always feel pressure to work work work. Then I found these cars. Always have something to feel good about when I look at them. I’m tired of being mad too old to be scared I want to be happy.

Took forever to see it. Now I got to just survive this epidemic. I’m wearing a mask and I’m not the bad guy. I just want to live and be happy. It sounds strange hear me say that.Took for ever to see it.🤓

·
Registered
791 Posts
The board is great! but the purple seat is awesome.

My silver CVT seems to have the mange on one side where some body work was done. After seeing photos of the black right-hand-drive Insight in Utah earlier this year (which was gorgeous) and being very pleased with how the Rustoleum Sunrise Red worked out on my MT (at least the parts I painted during periods of low humidity) I wonder if it's time to break out some Rustoleum Gloss Black. I wonder how two tone black and yellow leather or wet-suit-material seats would look.

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
I'm working on building a 5 cell LTO starting battery. So far going pretty well. Need to polish up a few odds and ends and post the procedure, and one critical safety step I discovered the hard way.

·
Registered
367 Posts
+1+a bit extra on the Judas Priest!

Reactions: Natalya
4141 - 4160 of 4192 Posts