Honda Insight Forum banner

4181 - 4192 of 4192 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
Oil changes are a critical diy operation. Unknowing mechanics frequently over tighten the oil plug in the fragile magnesium alloy sump and strip threads. Better to do that yourself. You need a cheap set of drive-up ramps, a basic set of metric wrenches, a cheap plastic drain pan, and a oil filter wrench if the filter has been overtightened.

There are a few operations which some mechanics frequently screw up which you should research and do yourself, for the safety of your car. Removing A pillar garnish and removing/replacing your own wheel covers are two others I can think of right away.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
23 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts. I also told them to give it a look over as I'm a new owner to it and wanted to see what they thought should be done in the future. The mechanic suggested Serpentine belt replacement and coolant flush (reservoir practically empty) at an astounding price. Needs new tires too, these are near the end of life, especially the rear.

I've ordered a Gates K050440 belt and have some type 2 Honda coolant. I'll be doing these myself with help from the my friend the previous owner and Youtube&IC.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,579 Posts
Serpentine belts on the Insight seem to last forever.as long as it isn't tightened too much.
After doing the coolant flush, follow these directions for burping the system:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep that's the video I saw!

The belt has some slight tearing but nothing major imo. Might as well replace it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dissasembled the windshield-wiper cowl cover and removed the wiper arms to diagnose some slappy play in the passenger-side wiper arm. Found the apparently common loose degraded bushing, and decided to order replacement rods (which include the bushings). Cleaned cowl area, cover, and applied some of that black plastic restorer. Tomorrow will check with local dealer for parts before ordering them online. Nothing else seems wrong besides the loose bushing. Is it worth replacing any other parts while I'm in there?
Got the replacement rods & bushings a few days later. Wasn't too hard to replace them, and I've only done light mechanical work on the car. The old rods separated at the worn bushings just by angling them away from each other. Note the placement of the long vs the short bar. Wiped off old grease & dirt. New ones come pre-greased and took a few taps with my too-small vise grip to get into place. Some larger pliers than I had might also work to seat them. Once assembled (except for last bushing attachment point at the passenger end of the car), it took a couple tries to insert the reassembled rods back where they belonged, then tapped on the last bushing to seat it. Might need to push/pull on the rods to get the mounting points to align correctly, but that's the end of anything challenging. Replace the metal arm cover piece BEFORE the 2 sets of 3 bolts), then the plastic cowl cover and the weatherstripping. Cycle wipers to get them to wind up at the proper off position, replace wiper arms exacatly as you want them to sit, and that's it! Wipers are firm now, with no play, look more low-profile because they sit at the right position, and they're quieter! EricTheCarGuy on YT has several videos of the process on his Integra, which is similar (but motor needs not be removed on Insight).

Reactions: MparkH

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Tracked down the rhythmic noise I just started hearing three days ago. I was figuring either a bad wheel bearing or tire.
IMG_20200628_133127184.jpg

Yep, bad tire!
Obviously, well used and it didn't owe me any more miles. Luckily, I had an extra tire and wheel combo I'd scavenged at the junkyard. Back on the road without too much drama, glad I caught it before the blowout.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Replaced the tires and topped off the gas tank in preperation for tomorrow's trip North. It's so much quieter and smooth now, partly because they are at reccomended pressure.

I tried to check psi with a $10 hand tool but it's all over the place 30-60 psi. Costco said they are all at 38psi. Was going to overinflate them to 40-55 but I can't do that if I can't accurately guage them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Today I removed a snake that decided to take a nap under my hood atop the battery.

Also resisted the urge to electrocute it before tossing it away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had to put the spare on today... it had been installed before based on the wear on the tread. However, the tool packs had never been opened.
i had to cut the fabric band because the metal rings that bind it had rusted dang near solid.

They look untouched. But then I wonder what that eye bolt is for?

putting the spare on went so much faster and easier than I had anticipated. This car is REALLY lightweight! I was bummed because I put four brand new RE92’s on it not three weeks ago and caught a nail smack in the middle of the crown. So it was an easy fix but still annoying.

·
Registered
543 Posts
They look untouched. But then I wonder what that eye bolt is for?
That's the tow hook for up front. Screws into the bumper in the opening you see when you remove the round plastic piece from the front bumper.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,579 Posts
He also shows the scissors jack extension.
Was the jack still there?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Drove it I guess?
57.3mpg from NorCal to mid Oregon avg. Good roads I liked it, had no problem on the hills just had to downshift to 3rd a couple times when I ran low on battery.

4181 - 4192 of 4192 Posts