Honda Insight Forum banner

4201 - 4220 of 4245 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
@stomish looks great! Got a link to where you sourced the shift boot from?

Reactions: stomish

·
Linsight Designer
1,899 Posts
Replaced another bad tire! Started hearing the rhythmic sound again yesterday, but this time the intensity increased rapidly! I was 15 miles from home, so turned off highway, used back roads and slowed down. Last tire was on right rear, this time left rear, same age and condition.

I think there 2 or 3 causal factors here. The tires were old and well worn, this one was made mid 2011. It has been pretty warm here recently, temps in upper 90F range. Lastly I bumped pressures up to 60psi or so 2 months ago. Looks like old tires don't like that!

I think it may be time to break down and spend some money on NEW tires, not just new to me!😆 View attachment 86292
Wow those tires are toast!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Made a video...everything on this vid is well-known but I thought I'd share anyway...I'm doing a series of G1 Insight restoration vids on my YT channel and this is the first now that I have IMA functional again:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Finished removing the mold from the car that it picked up two winters ago. Had to remove the interior mats and run a rug shampooer over them and dry in the sun for a week. Used a baking-soda-powder based mildew remover on the seats and the carpet under them. Also used a Sharper Image ozone ionizer on the car for a week to get areas that I cannot reach and the headliner. I also have a can of Lysol spray, but I don't think it's gonna need it.

I love driving the Insight, just zips around corners, and with the super low body weight, it's so peppy. I don't drive this car much anymore (it doesn't have Full Self Driving), but when I do I am happy that it still runs so well, and now it smells good again.

Reactions: Vivila and jime

·
Super Moderator
8,223 Posts
Good work. Is it a citrus like your avatar?

·
Registered
131 Posts
@stomish looks great! Got a link to where you sourced the shift boot from?
eBay! The quality is pretty good, although one thing that irks me is the stitching only goes down three sides, not four like it should based on the design. Hey, it was only like $10 though so not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts

Threw the new wheels on and all I have to say is...holy ****. The amount of traction/tossability this car has is absolutely mental. I have Federal SS595 tires on it, w/ a set of 16x7+35 Volk TE37s. Tire size is 195/45/R16. They barely clear the rear fender skirts, but they clear! Speedo isn’t off at all, maybe like 1mph but it’s acceptable for me. MPG has most definitely plummeted, we’re down to 39.7 from 42.0 earlier today (been idling the car because A/C was getting recharged). Tires don’t rub at all even over bumps/at full steering lock, so i’m super happy with this setup!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good work. Is it a citrus like your avatar?
Yes, LIKE my avatar, I stole that pic from the net as I didn't have a better one. I could always use my Googlle Street View one:

That pic came out particularly nice. It's been in the sun all these years so the green on the hood and roof isn't as dark as that inside the door, got a few chips, but no dings. Had the hood repaired after a guy backed into me with his tow hitch, me honking the whole time. That's all the damage the car has ever had.

Sometimes it can be found here:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bought it. 2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT 295 K miles. Super clean with toasted IMA.unplugged BCM per Bumblebee instructions and drove it home 2 hrs on ICE only. Price reflected more toasted IMA and high mileage than the "super clean" interior and exterior. A/C needs a charge. Saw engine temp start to climb at highway speed (it was 90+°), so I did the tried and true full blower fan with cabin heat turned to max.

Took the engine temp down, but punishing on me.

Needs new lift gate struts and a CVT fluid and filter change.

These cars prone to overheating? I was running a/c at max. (My first Gen 1 Insight) .

Lifetime MPG 54.7.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Mine was overheating when I bought it. Turned out that only one column in the radiator was open. New radiator fixed all of that.

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
No, they don't overheat. If the temp gauge moves it's bad. Refill the coolant and do a proper burp.

Sam

·
Registered
80 Posts
After reading in the owner's manual about potential overheat conditions, I think I'm ok. One of the hotter days of the year, prolonged highway with long uphill. A/C on max. Temp. dropped immediately after I turned heat on. I wasn't using "S" mode.

I think cooling system is probably Ok.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,690 Posts
How many bars showing on temp.? Normal is 6 bars'. How high did it get?
If it goes down with heater on, you have a partial blockage probably in the radiator.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Was too busy driving to count the bars, but I'd say it got to 2 o'clock. Still a decent margin from the red, but up from 4 o'clock (six bars). Came back down to six bars almost immediately after shutting down the a/c and cranking the heat -- I mean pretty much instantly.

It was f'in hot here Saturday, 90+° and high humidity. I was at speed with full a/c on the highway, climbing a long incline.

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
No, again. If it ever moves higher than 6 bars it's too late. You're playing with fire. Budget for a head gasket replacement or if you're unlucky a head replacement.

You're either low on coolant (did you go through a proper burp?) or you have a radiator problem. You need to fix this immediately. I wouldn't even drive it like this. If you don't fix it at home you're going to have a problem on the side of the highway.

Have you checked if the radiator fan is working?

Sam

Reactions: Saxjonz and Natalya

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sam, as Dana Carvey as the late George H. W. Bush used to say "message received." No sense in using a AAA tow unnecessarily. I have no immediate need to use the car. I may drive it a mile to local mechanic for cooling system pressure test. I have not done a proper coolant "burp" but will grab some Honda coolant and do so. Thanks all for the caution.

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
1. Turn on the AC and see if it turns. If not, figure out why.
2. The next time you let it get past 6 bars open the hood (no AC) and see if it turns. If not, figure out why.

Sam

4201 - 4220 of 4245 Posts