Honda Insight Forum banner

4221 - 4240 of 4245 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Did not check for cooling fan operation. What's protocol there?
Cooling fan should turn on at least once in 15 minutes of idling.

I have a CVT that the original owner dropped a LOT of money chasing a cooling problem. The cooling eventually led to overheating and a head gasket replacement at great cost as well as other issues.

As part of the cooling system servicing, ensure that the black tube descending from the coolant capture reservoir is in place. This tube fell off on this car causing air to be drawn in instead of coolant when the car cooled down, and was the core cause of the overheating problem. This has been reported on at least one other car in this forum.

The tube slides onto the cap and there is no barb to keep it on. I modified the cap to create barbs and then used wire to secure the tube and make sure it does not fall off again.

It probably is a good idea to use a marker to mark the coolant level in the capture tank when the car has cooled overnight. The coolant level should rise the same amount every time when the car is hot and fall back to that same level overnight. If it drops below this, and you find yourself filling it more than once or twice, you should consider looking for the leak. There is a possibility that air that may collect in the top of the cooling system may be one of the factors of cam failure (though a plugged VTEC screen has also been found to be a likely factor).

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
43 Posts
Took the Insight out for its first non-local trip since I bought it in March! I did a hair over 350 miles and averaged 75.6mpg (UK). All went perfectly smoothly, which was a relief given how much work I've done on this thing.

I headed to London to buy the IMA battery out of a 2002 JDM CVT model with only 60k miles on the odometer, as I assumed the pack had to be better than my 225,000 mile original which is rather tired. When I got there, however, I found the car has had a replacement Primearth pack, which looks to be dated from October 2012 - given how low the mileage on this car is, and that it's been sitting abandoned for a few years at least, looks like I got my hands on a super low mileage pack! It's sitting at about 140v right now, just need to assemble a charger harness, plug it in for a good charge, and see how it goes!

·
Super Moderator
8,223 Posts
Primearth is the standard Honda replacement brand, so this will have OEM like cells with vents. A better gamble than the Chinese aftermarket cells.

Storage doesn't really damage the cells, other than letting some self discharge more than others. A good 300-350mA balancing charge of 30 hours or so is your best bet. Charge until the pack voltage no longer rises. You really need a good 3 decimal place meter to watch it adequately.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
43 Posts
Yep, I know about Primearth packs - I was just thrilled that I THOUGHT I was getting an 18 year old pack with 60k miles on it, and I actually ended up getting an 8 year old pack with a lot less miles.

I know neither age nor mileage is a hugely accurate indicator of pack condition, but more or less anything has to be better than the one fitted, which as far as I'm aware is the factory original, 20 years old with 225k miles, and before I got it was just being driven around for several years with the IMA light lit. The current pack works fine after a discharge /charge cycle, but slowly fades out over a few weeks.

I'm just assembling a grid charger harness to fit to the new battery (waiting on some heatshrink as I ran out of stuff the right size) and it'll be getting a nice 36 hour grid charge in a cool room indoors, as you say.

Extra bonus: I also got the BCM which is the latest -A01 suffix version. I've done a bit of reading on here regarding the 'best' BCM variants and not come to many conclusions, but mine is an early one and I have no record of it ever receiving the BCM upgrade. If nothing else it'll be interesting to swap them out and see how the IMA behaviour changes!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
if you have a 2000 model car. I don’t know what you have. You might have the 505 Ecu.

Which in my opinion. Your battery will be activated very often. Which tends to wEar the battery out.

they got it to where the batteries didn’t do very much in later years to make the batteries last longer.

if you do have the 505 you can use a clutch switch. Which would be a poor man’s Mima. At least that’s what I think. I’ve got a 505 and a clutch switch. I just don’t have a battery that’s any good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also have a can of Lysol spray, but I don't think it's gonna need it.
As I finish deodorizing the car I realized that I may be harboring mold in the cabin filter which is a bear to swap, but it's not much easier on the Tesla (which was getting a musty smell from the AC, had to use coil cleaner on it). If your car hasn't had the air filter changed there is a fixed plastic bar that goes across the expanse below the glove box. It's an odd choice, keep the same filter for hundreds of thousands of miles the car is good for, or destroy part of the interior that you cannot put back.

Fortunately, I had previously had the dealer replace the filter I guess as when I removed the glove box with the two bolts the plastic had been cut away. Didn't make the take apart much easier, but I was able to bend the rest of the dash apart enough to remove the bolts holding the metal bar across so I could access the filter. It actually looked OK and only had one leaf so I probably didn't need to swap it, but I am not the one with the dainty nose in the family so we'll see how the wife likes it.

Thank goodness for YouTube: How To Replace a 2000-2006 Honda Insight Cabin Air Filter

·
Registered
390 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Your discharge curve...
View attachment 86512
To be honest i don´t know if thats a good curve or a bad curve! :)

After 48 hours of charging this was the result. I really don´t know what to think of all of this.

I was sure that my battery will be 100% full after 48hours on the grid but it was almost empty...:unsure:
After ste start i drove the car 10-15km and waited for a positiv recal which never came. Than i started to recharge the battery via the ODBII C&C and it got to full pretty soon.
How long do you charge your batterys???

·
Registered
390 Posts
Others can tell you if your curve is what it should be. Looks sort of typical to me. When I grid-charge my IMA battery, it’s for at least 24 hours. Sometimes up to 30 hours, waiting for the charge to stabilize at around 157.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well tomorrow I’m replacing the front struts and springs

·
Premium Member
2005 G1 NFR 5spd
291 Posts
Nashville Cars and Coffee (C&C) 1st Saturday in August-
Packed as usual
20200801_085652.jpg
20200801_085431.jpg
20200801_092134.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
We were just trying to go to the Dollar Store during my monthly Electric Car Zoom Meeting so my wife could shop, but we pulled in and the entire parking lot was FULL of Cars and Cars (is that what C&C means?), some kind of car show. J-holes running their engines at extreme volumes, squealing tires around the parking lot, and I didn't see masks on people.

I believe the children are our future, and the future looks dark.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok, so the plot thickens and I am puzzled. It does need coolant added and a proper burp. But, my coolant overflow reservoir has a hose out the side of the tank and no hose on the tank top proper. From dealer parts drawings for my year '02 CVT, there is supposed to be a hose on the tank top. It simply isn't there. Possible earlier style was replaced with a subsequent redesigned part? If so, any downside to running it with the different overflow tank? (After coolant add and burp of course). I am all ears.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,690 Posts
This needs a pic to get a solution You have a hose that goes from the radiator cap neck to the overflow bottle cap, then a hose that goes from the overflow cap down inside to the bottom of the bottle. Anything other than that is unacceptable and wrong.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Willie. Spoke too soon and observed improperly. All hoses present and correct. Still need to add coolant though.

·
Registered
824 Posts
As I finish deodorizing the car I realized that I may be harboring mold in the cabin filter which is a bear to swap, but it's not much easier on the Tesla (which was getting a musty smell from the AC, had to use coil cleaner on it). If your car hasn't had the air filter changed there is a fixed plastic bar that goes across the expanse below the glove box. It's an odd choice, keep the same filter for hundreds of thousands of miles the car is good for, or destroy part of the interior that you cannot put back.

Fortunately, I had previously had the dealer replace the filter I guess as when I removed the glove box with the two bolts the plastic had been cut away. Didn't make the take apart much easier, but I was able to bend the rest of the dash apart enough to remove the bolts holding the metal bar across so I could access the filter. It actually looked OK and only had one leaf so I probably didn't need to swap it, but I am not the one with the dainty nose in the family so we'll see how the wife likes it.

Thank goodness for YouTube: How To Replace a 2000-2006 Honda Insight Cabin Air Filter
Nice video. Mine was cut by the dealer.

I am wondering what I need to get to hook the Insight up to my Sprinter. Do you still have your T1N? I have a LOT of rust to fix, but with the kids gone, it's ready to be turned into an RV. Gotta pull the broken off glow plugs though. I was thinking that the Insight might double as shore power and a generator for the Sprinter. I would need to modify a spare IGBT/controller to output 60Hz AC from the battery pack.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I started grid charge discharge sequence, I removed my dash instrument cluster to install repaired trip set and other dash button circuit boards ( old buttons replaced with new) I also swapped out the old flawed LCD with a good one from a used cluster I bought on E Bay.
A note of caution: the LCD has its own circuit board with a wire ribbon that wraps around to the back of the cluster and plugs into the motherboard. That plug is the most exposed, delicate and unprotected plug I have yet seen in my insight. I was very careful with it. And yet, I still barely noticed just before I plugged it in that a couple of the tiny reed like contacts were slightly bent. These contacts, about 20 of them, are 1/16”+ long, about 1/64” wide and a few thou thick.
I used a 8x loupe to see what I was doing and jewelers tools to gently tease them back to where they needed to be. Luckily when I plugged it back in everything worked.

4221 - 4240 of 4245 Posts