Honda Insight Forum banner

4261 - 4280 of 4393 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
31 Posts
Took my 02' for a short drive through the orchards after washing all the ash off from the past two weeks. Heavy A/C use this summer drops the MPG a bit but after the past 3 summers in the Saturn with broken cabin cooling I am grateful it's there. I hope to snap a pic at the pond tomorrow.

I am exited for my first winter with it so I can keep the cooling off. Been doing a bit poor with the MPG sitting in drive-throughs this summer. I'm a disgrace I know.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Filled up and managed my first ever 800 mile tank of gas! I know there are more than a few of the "pro's" here who can do that regularly, but I'm happy! Calculated average was 79.2 mpg.
IMG_20200829_102501702~3.jpg
IMG_20200829_102023249.jpg

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Terrain was reasonably flat, total elevation change 100 ft or so each way. This was primarily to and from work, so the elevation should more or less cancel out. Back roads, generally 45 - 55 posted. I haven't actually counted, but probably 10 stoplights/stopsigns in the 35 mile stretch. Tire pressure (RE92) 52 psi, car is missing right front wheel strake and cover under engine. Otherwise pretty stock.

Reactions: minor4326

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
409 Posts
Stripped it almost clean. Bought what was left of a parts car (engine and transmission had already been removed after a front end hit) and took it down to pretty close to a bare shell.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I did a single-cycle discharge and charge over the weekend. Like Arbus above, the brutally hot weather in Wisconsin triggered a couple of recalibrations. I was driving with no AC, trying to maximize this tank. Turns out the battery pack and I both like it more temperate.

Anyway, I started with a discharge Friday evening with the pack at153.9 volts. I switched to 40w bulbs and let it run overnight. Nothing like the eerie glow of an Insight backlit by the discharger at night...

By 11:38a Saturday morning it hit 57.4v at 160 milliamps. The bulbs were pretty dim! (Kinda like the owner...)

I let it rest for an hour with the grid charger driving the pack’s cooling fan, during which voltage rebounded to 120.4v.

I started the grid charge with my homemade charger at 12:41p Saturday afternoon and let it run for the next 25 hours, with two brief interruptions when I had to drive the car to church and back. For these, I flipped the master battery switch to off so the Insight’s own charging system wouldn’t intervene.

The charge peaked at 170.9v and 342 milliamps Monday morning at 9:20a with a temperature in the car of 67F. It then slowly declined as the day got warmer. I turned off the charger at 1:26p at 170.2v and 342milliamps, temperature 74F, but left the fan running. By 3:38p the temp in the car was up to 77F and the pack had settled down to 164.5v.

I pulled the fuse under the dash to reset the computer and went for a drive. All seems well. My week-long three-cycle battery conditioning in March lasted around 6 months, which seems to be par for this car. I’m curious to see if a single cycle has the same longevity.

- Park

PS - Coincidentally John, another Insight enthusiast, chased me down in the parking lot at Ace on my test drive. He had just scrapped a silver Insight with 460k miles and serious squirrel damage. He is going to contact the yard and see if a few parts can be salvaged before it is shredded. My first encounter with another Insight owner in the wild.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,118 Posts
Isn't that an endangered specis? ("Insighter in the wild." )

·
Registered
193 Posts
Isn't that an endangered species? ("Insighter in the wild." )
Seems to be. In the year and a half I’ve owned my car, I’ve seen about seven on the road or parked around La Crosse, WI. I’ve left a few notes on people’s cars, but this was the first other owner I’ve talked to, apart from a guy who was trying to sell a wrecked CVT for $600.

- Park

·
Registered
23 Posts
Met up with a friend and did some parts swapping to diagnose our IMA faults as part of a pack change to Ford C-max battery packs. His had a blown fuse and my BMS module is bad. Now we just have to find someone who did a IMA delete but hasn't tossed the BMS module and pack end panel parts yet. :)

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight MT
620 Posts
Pretty sure I still have most of the parts from my IMA delete back in Michigan with my parents except the battery and container from my IMA delete, including a BCM and MCM, if they can find where I put them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Pretty sure I still have most of the parts from my IMA delete back in Michigan with my parents except the battery and container from my IMA delete, including a BCM and MCM, if they can find where I put them.
If they could, that would be lovely as I'm very interested to try out this C-Max pack in an insight trick. My buddy is in need of the 100A fuse off the end panel as well. He did the C-Max pack and had it running very well for some time before this somewhat random fuse failure. I never experienced the Insight with anything but a weak pack so am pretty excited about the idea of a higher capacity pack in there on the cheap.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yesterday actually. John charged my spare pack at the stick level on a hobby charger and installed it for me. I had been running ICE only since I bought the car in late July. Picked a spare "dead" Primearth pack up for cheap figuring we might just be able to recover this zombie pack. So far, so good. Getting high fifties gas mileage on a CVT running snow tires. Pack is charging/ discharging predictably. Assist, regen and autostop all appear to function well. Car is so much better than running ICE only.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight MT
620 Posts
If they could, that would be lovely as I'm very interested to try out this C-Max pack in an insight trick. My buddy is in need of the 100A fuse off the end panel as well. He did the C-Max pack and had it running very well for some time before this somewhat random fuse failure. I never experienced the Insight with anything but a weak pack so am pretty excited about the idea of a higher capacity pack in there on the cheap.
Send me a PM with what you need and I'll see if they can find it, and then we can work out a price/shipping. Pretty sure I have the BCM/BMS but not sure about the fuse (I think not but not 100% sure)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,118 Posts
Completed the 59th oil and filter change on the LRR. Done at 454,343 miles. Still using Mobil1 0-20 synth. oil and Mobil1 filter.
Noticed that there is a change of design on the filter. Same model number as the old one. It now has 7 intake/oil holes instead of 6.
A little sore, after crawling around on the garage floor though. Rhino ramps are still the best.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,952 Posts
On Sat I changed the oil and then today I rotated all 4 tires, diagonally. First rotation since I got them in January.

On Sunday I did some minor work on another Insight with a LTO install:
(I'm not the person who did this LTO conversion, I was just giving it a look-over.)

This is the one-of-a-kind 60-cell LTO Insight. It was throwing a CEL, I helped diagnose that the cells are imbalanced. :( There is a gradient of voltages from the IMA + to the IMA - where cells closer to the IMA + are higher and cells towards the - are on average lower. The highest cell was 0.05 volts above the lowest cell with 6-cell sub-group voltages diverging by approximately 0.2 volts from the highest 6-cell group to the lowest 6-cell group.

This car is unique because the 60 cells are able to be connected in groups of 6 to the voltage taps from the BCM. It must have determined there was too great a discrepancy between the highest tap and the lowest tap because it threw P1449.

My initial speculations:
  • No cooling fans are installed and this car has lived in TN and GA since its LTO conversion; maybe heat was a factor
  • 60 cells instead of more common 72 cell setup means each cell is used a little bit more on average than a 72 cell car, so this could have contributed to the divergence
  • Previous owner had a sub-pack with a cell go bad from this batch of batteries, maybe these ones came from a Fit EV that suffered more abuse than the others?
I also installed rubber terminal caps on the LTO blocks to reduce the risk of accidental shorts. Two terminals remain partially exposed right where they emerge from the plastic, but they are on the same sub-pack (32 volts max) and at least can no longer short if a piece of metal were placed across the top of them.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Got it inspected yesterday (passed) and had two new Potenzas mounted and balanced. Took off the snows and now have Potenzas on all four corners. Ride is sprightlier and it seems to require less assist than with the snows.

Don't know if the mpg will improve until the new tires wear in a bit. Put the new tread in the rear, as opposed to up front.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I filled up my car last evening for the first time in over a month. This is the first full tank I’ve driven out since getting my car back from my son over the summer.

Also, this my first tank on the new Nexen tires, rear shocks and springs installed over the summer. I also installed Scott’s belly pan midway through this tank. Wisconsin has been both super hot and quite chilly. The heat triggered a recalibration and some positive charging, so I also did one full cycle discharge/charge on the battery.

Average for the tank was 61.1, which is right in line with the same month last year. For daily driving in suburban traffic, I’m quite pleased with the old girl.

Impressions of the Nexen N’priz tires: they’re probably no better or worse for mileage than the Enasaves that came on the car. They do seem to be reasonably quiet and comfortable. The rear feels like it sometimes takes a little sideways hop over harsh bumps, which I don’t remember. That could be the new shocks and springs, or maybe a need for rear bushings.

- Park

4261 - 4280 of 4393 Posts