Honda Insight Forum banner

4281 - 4300 of 4336 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
320 Posts
I don't want to scare you, but I had Nexens on a Volvo wagon, and they were positively awful with any moisture on the road. Just take extra care in the rain/snow.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't want to scare you, but I had Nexens on a Volvo wagon, and they were positively awful with any moisture on the road. Just take extra care in the rain/snow.
You mentioned that on another thread, so I’ve been paying attention. They seem fine so far in normal levels of rain. Then again, I’m a cautious driver and don’t accelerate or brake hard in the Insight.

- Park

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
320 Posts
Yesterday, I buffed out my horribly oxidized headlights with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish using a lamb's wool pad on a drill. (Saw this means of headlight resto on the web).

Literally five minutes of buffing with two applications of polish made my headlights look new.

Apply polish with your fingers so there's a thin, even coat on the lens, then buff. I raised the hood and draped a contractor-size trash bag over the engine compartment to catch splatter from the buffer, of which there is a bit.

Between applications of polish, I wiped off excess polish with a couple paper towels and dried off the headlights so I could judge progress.

Before applying 303 Protectant for UV protection, I wiped the lenses off with damp paper towels to remove any polish residue then dried with paper towel.

Finished with 303 Protectant for UV protection.

I will never sand headlights again.

Not the same headlight, but you get the picture.

Tried the newly-refinished headlights tonight and they were nothing short of spectacular.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have to do the "Sweet Project Cars" headlight restoration. But, last Saturday I took the Insight out for a good drive. I had to go up to PDX and back which is about four hours of level and hill driving. Just what it needs to blow away the cobwebs. And I was reminded of just how wonderful a car the Insight is. Fun to drive, peppy enough for me and just a pure joy. Headlights this weekend or Thursday. I really love this car.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red CVT Insight
54 Posts
Shoot...Where do I start?
Cleaned carpets, seats and steam cleaned everything. Pretty gross.
Installed seat covers. Seats in great condition. Trying to keep it that way.
Installed new rear speakers with harness connector.
Install powered subwoofer. Soldered connections.
Remove crimp connectors from radio harness and soldered/heat shrink.
Install mount for C&C and finally use it.
Installed aux 12v charging brick w/voltage readout.
Installed collapsable and removable cup holder.
Installed magnetic phone mount/holder. Suction cup type.
Detail paint. Iron remover, foam cannon, clay bar, machine polish, ceramic spray coat (x3) topped with sealant.
Polish headlights with mothers mag and aluminum then hit with plastX. Finish with ceramic spray and sealant.
carpet cleaner.jpg Steam cleaner.jpg drill brush.jpg CG carpet cleaner.jpg Insight interior removed.jpg insight seats clean.jpg insight carpet fans.jpg insight radio harness.jpg insight replacement speakers:harness.jpg insight subwoofer installed.jpg

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Removed the IMA pack, DC converter, and IPU enclosure entirely. Installed a Meanwell PSU/rectifier to keep the 12v charged. Posted here for the first time in quite a while.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Washed the G1 for the first time since Covid, polished the headlights too... but with failing clearcoat on the hood and roof washing just does not seem urgent anymore.

Today I got a P1447 IMA code so I put it on the home built grid charger and will pull fuse 24 after it's full.

This battery was a Honda Warranty replacement, it is now almost 5 years old and this is the first IMA code.

My new commute to work is much shorter... maybe that is to blame, I drive home for lunch for a total of 26 miles per day in 4 trips, I used to drive 27 miles in 2 trips (13.5mi each way).

Reactions: Steady

·
Registered
457 Posts
Into the stealership, today, for an oil change, new wiper inserts, and a tire rotation. Out paying $58.50. Not too bad, considering I get it done just twice a year, now. The service manager told me the car passed the find-what-is-wrong-to-have-you-spend-more-money check "with flying colors."

Of note. They had a red 2010 Insight for sale with 260k miles for $3800. You figure the battery is toast? And a very sharp, black 2014 Accord Hybrid EX-L with 90kmiles for $14k. And a couple 2017 Accord Hydrids for around $18k. I think I'd really rather have one of them than a brand new Insight! Better looking cars, I think, to my eye, at lease. Especially the 2014.

Also... I was outside when a 20-something tech got my little car for service and was surprised to see him take it for a minute-long spin down the block and back before pulling it into the garage. When I checked out, I asked him if the short drive was standard practice. He reddened up and said "I've heard about them, but never saw one before and just sort of wanted to know how it drove." I told him next time I was in, to ask, and I'd let him take it for a longer drive.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just picked up a spare engine with the motor for $500 with only 93k on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very heavy rain in the ATL last night - I hit @6"of standing water at 20 MPH and peeled all the underbody panels off. Not all the way off... mangled and folded them back, I had to drag them back to my shop in a driving rain storm. The sound was impressively awful.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The sound was impressively awful.
I had one suddenly come loose at highway speeds. Thought the car was gonna blow up, or something. The sound was incredible! BHAAAAAAA..... WHOOOMP WHOOOMP WHOOOMP....

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,065 Posts
Very heavy rain in the ATL last night - I hit @6"of standing water at 20 MPH and peeled all the underbody panels off. Not all the way off... mangled and folded them back, I had to drag them back to my shop in a driving rain storm. The sound was impressively awful.
That's just mother nature telling you to buy Scott's aluminum underbody panel

·
Registered
13 Posts
BOUGHT AN INSIGHT, FINALLYYYYY
2000 MT sweet little baby.

And so, to pass Maryland inspection the other day:
Replaced both control arms, both outer tie rods, and the rear transmission mount. Patched a hole in CV boot.
(Shout out to Antar, my patron saint)

Passed inspection!

Today I installed new speakers in the doors, and replaced some of those tiny light bulbs in the AC cluster.

I'm obsessed with this car.
I think it's a little like that brain disease that makes you subservient to cats............

·
Registered
2006 5MT Insight w/ warm air intake, grid charger and more!
139 Posts

Swapped in my (new to me) IMA pack today! Looks like she’s driving pretty well again, gonna grid charge it tomorrow and hopefully i’ll be in business battery problem free for a few more years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,919 Posts
The warehouse I work at is a few miles east of Atlanta, inside 285 just off North Decatur Rd. I have some extra underbody panels for the front of the car. If you're missing anything send me a message.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red CVT Insight
54 Posts
IMG_4675.jpg IMG_4678.jpg IMG_4680.jpg

IMG_4681.jpg
Went on a little Sunday day trip. I've been wanting to go to Jocko's since @boojum mentioned the place before the Black Hawk museum meet. Finally made it out there. All food ordered to go of course.

Reactions: Natalya
4281 - 4300 of 4336 Posts