Honda Insight Forum banner

4421 - 4440 of 4445 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed a new Duralast radiator the other day. The original had 235 K and did not leak, but it looked poor and I wanted the peace of mind for longer trips.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,181 Posts
Juicy bait:
Please include your Location in your Profile. Thank You.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,140 Posts
@jeffffej, I heard from an informed source that ceramic coatings don't work very well unless you take all the other waxes underneath it off. I hope you did that. Looks really great.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
@jeffffej, I heard from an informed source that ceramic coatings don't work very well unless you take all the other waxes underneath it off. I hope you did that. Looks really great.
Thanks, yes as I mentioned above I start with clay bar removal and end with the ceramic. My paint is in really good shape to start with so I'm fortunate, PO had the roof and hood repainted by a quality shop.

·
Registered
122 Posts
doing an overhaul: rebuilt transmission, oil seals, plugs, and valve adjustment. Also resealing the pillar trim for the wet seatbelt, as well as brake and clutch fluid.

Dumb question, but should I bother cleaning up the ima motor while it’s out? Maybe simple green and compressed air?

·
Registered
13 Posts
:( did 3 discharges and just finished my last charge... nope still no ima for me. Im so discouraged now.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Aside from a few minor things I'm done restoring/repairing/modding my Insight. In celebration I made a "Top 10 mods" vid for my YT channel. A small but enthusiastic crowd has enjoyed this series on the G1, not nearly as much as my other builds but we all know that's the nature of these cars.

Enjoy!

2000 Honda Insight: Top 10 favorite mods - YouTube

·
Registered
19 Posts
Aside from a few minor things I'm done restoring/repairing/modding my Insight. In celebration I made a "Top 10 mods" vid for my YT channel. A small but enthusiastic crowd has enjoyed this series on the G1, not nearly as much as my other builds but we all know that's the nature of these cars.

Enjoy!

2000 Honda Insight: Top 10 favorite mods - YouTube
really enjoyed this video

·
Registered
19 Posts
On a bit of a staycation, so still knocking my checklist of things to do on this bucket before her maiden voyage!

Got a chance to meet Scott @Jue Motors! Was a great time chit chatting and learning a few things! Pickup the belly pan some odd clips and a cable for my grid Charger !! So was a good trip !!

little projects while I clean, made a lower grill block and a upper/lower air dam/guide! I didn’t snap a finally picture but I secured it a lot more!

Upper air dam

lower air dam

all in all having a blast ripping and putting this NSX type R back together lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
really enjoyed this video
Cool I'm glad to hear. I have a few dozen Insight videos on my channel you might check out if you enjoy Insight rambling. Just put a new one up the other day that discusses why I think the G1 is such an uncompromising car in the field of other supposedly rare/groundbreaking cars, it's gotten some good conversation:

On a bit of a staycation, so still knocking my checklist of things to do on this bucket before her maiden voyage!

Got a chance to meet Scott @Jue Motors!
Scott's expression in that final picture tells us what happens to you if you're surrounded by Honda Insights all day.

Nice mods, and interesting. Would be curious to hear your thoughts and reasoning, seems you're going for the mpg gains. I was moving in that direction but after putting a few thousand miles on my two Insights in the last few months I've decided to just enjoy it as a normal car. Seems like I can either (a) enjoy the car as a lightweight hybrid-CRX type car or (b) squeeze every mpg out of it by driving that certain way........but not both. With normal driving I'm getting 60s in the city and 70s on the highway, and I've decided that's good enough for me. Was planning an EFAS mod with @Natalya but I've realized that in my commute there aren't many opportunities to use it, so I'm reconsidering.

Glad to hear your car is coming along.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had my water pump, tensioner pulley, and serpentine belt replaced at 171,000 miles. No more wretched shrieking noise that made it sound like it was powered by an abused chimpanzee.

$531 was the bill. That's almost half the cost of the new head unit I want to upgrade to!
You could have replace those items yourself for less than $150 in parts. I'd look for a new mechanic as that job could be done in an hour.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,181 Posts
You responded to an 8 YO thread?
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You.

·
Super Moderator
1,898 Posts
You could have replace those items yourself for less than $150 in parts. I'd look for a new mechanic as that job could be done in an hour.
Good morning Insighters,

I want it personally thank, Hankster, a one month member for coming on the forum this morning and mechanic bashing.

Hankster, how about posting what it is you do for a living? There are many people who don’t own the tools and equipment to work on their own cars. Some people don’t have the skills, even if they do have the tools.

What is your hourly rate in your profession?
Do you own tens of thousands of dollars worth of tools, do you have to pay rent for the space where you work, do you have to pay garage keepers or liability insurance, do you provide a warranty, do you have a business license?

Scott

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
435 Posts
I told my local independent more than once that he wasn't charging enough for the quality of his work. He recently upped his labor rate (which he probably hadn't done in 5+ years). I don't begrudge him a penny. From having worked some on my own cars, I know he has earned every nickel he charges me, and then some.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You could have replace those items yourself for less than $150 in parts.
I, in fact, just did this job. The water pump, idler pulley and belt cost me about $60 from Rock Auto.

My son and I spent a solid three hours in our icy garage wrestling with cold tools and stuck bolts. The idler was the noisy problem, and that’s the only thing I replaced rather than opening potential new worm cans on my daily driver... in January... in Wisconsin. Never could get the tensioner to move, so we ended up prying the pre-stretched old belt painfully back into the pulleys.

There are times I will gladly pay a good mechanic what (s)he’s worth to get the job done right and conveniently. This came close to being one of them.

- Park

·
Registered
2000 MT
86 Posts
Hankster, take a video of you doing the repair. As outlined in the factory service manual, no short cuts and use any specific tool that is outlined.

As Scott said, do you have a small mortgage worth of tools? What is your hourly rate? I know how much my time is worth. Autos are something that I am blessed in an ability to work on. Not everyone else is, hence my profession pays the bills.

4421 - 4440 of 4445 Posts