Honda Insight Forum banner

4501 - 4520 of 4569 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Calling all geniuses.

Has anybody driven A 2000 Honda insight. Got a real good record of mpg.

and then drive it the same miles with both back wheels exposed. To see if it makes any difference if they’re covered or not on mileage.

I’ve had an idea of epic proportion’s that could possibly gain more efficiency if anybody has any results.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I’ve had an idea of epic proportion’s that could possibly gain more efficiency if anybody has any results.
Nathan, please don't leave us in suspense. And don't listen to anybody who says it's a bad idea, neither 'cause whatever it is, we'll all learn something. We always do! My only hope is that it won't maim or kill.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
42 Posts
Added some air to the front tires from about 35 to 45psi. One short drive home later and I think lean burn is slightly easier to get into and sustain.

Got tint on the two hatch windows done a couple days ago. I really like it as I've been using a reflective pool cover in the window. 5% on top and they tried to darken the bottom as best they could since it comes tinted factory but it's a bit lighter.

Maybe this summer I'll get the side windows done lightly.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
501 Posts
Took the snow tires off and put the Potenzas and side skirts back on. Highway trip tomorrow so I'll see if I can up current tank average from 54 MPG.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well, I think I found the gas mileage sweet spot for my car. RPMs at about 1900, plus warmish temps - say mid-40s, Potenzas back on it and sideskirts in place netted me 63.4 mpg (tank avg so far after 80 miles 65% of which were highway on NJ TPK, some of which was at 75+ mph) -- that translated to driving between say 50-60 mph. If you can tolerate the slower speed, you can wring some pretty decent MPG out of a CVT car with more than 300k miles on it. (I turned it over 300k this morning). I can still get 53-54 mpg all day long going 75 on the highway.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I SOLD mine, today! Hated to see it go, but it's all for the best. I didn't even cry that much. You'll be happy to know that the buyer is a young fella. Maybe he'll help counter-balance of some of the old farts that hang around this place. He is a member on this site, but I won't out him. He can owe up to it, if he wishes.

QUESTION: I no longer own a G1, but am I still allowed to hang out with the cool kids here?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
Hang out, only if you quit picking on the "Old Farts".
(From an old fart)

·
Registered
218 Posts
EGR Plate cleaning. First time in 20 years. Nearly coaked to the hilt. IEGR valve pintle cleaned and EGR passage looks good. Replaced EGR Valve gasket. Torqued to specs. No DTC’s. Looking forward to getting more mpg.

Attachments

Reactions: Drtye

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Is it possible at low RPM it would reduce pumping losses if there were a purposed vacuum leak. That will let in fresh air instead of the EGR exhaust gases. Reduce pumping losses. That would help mpg. Is that what the EGR valve does indirectly? Along with keeping temperature down.
I think if you had more air volume that would also cool combustion temperatures. To help reduce NOX.
<snip>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cleaned the filthy old seat covers - Wow

Sewed in a patch panel to the drivers cover, using my old school Alfa sewing machine. Great colour match. Got loads of fabric left, what to do with it?

Replaced front brake discs and pads - will need to revisit this as the pads went in tight to the old rusty calipers. A simple brush down wasn't enough to clean up the pads sliding contact surface it seems, will need to file the pad-to-caliper contact points back to smooth metal another weekend. Brakes work great as is but the pad retaining clips are contacting the discs slightly, creating a slight grinding noise on hard lock in reverse.

Replaced spark plugs (type B) - Much improved transition to lean burn, feels livelier

New focal speakers on new custom pods behind existing speaker grilles, new speaker wiring, new headunit
Replaced rear motor mount - the central portion of the old one is almost entirely separated, PO had tried to repair with some sort of silicone sealant. Car drives fantastic now. A few observations: Removing the mounting bracket that holds the RMM to the gearbox is much easier than trying to remove/set aside the exhaust. However, you'll need to have skinny arms to reach the top bolts from above. Took me an age with a ratchet. Would recommend an electric ratchet for this job. Other bolts came out easy with a breaker bar. Had no trouble with the through bolt between the RMM and bracket itself, I used an impact on it sat in a vice.

Cracked LCD replaced with non-cracked unit from USA (thanks HondaHybrid442). My car is a Japanese import, and came with the dash binnacle without the MPH/KMH button. It seems that simply pressing the button doesn't switch the car between modes. So I'm still on KMs, but have a USA binnacle ready to go if I ever want MPH back. I also replaced the switches and daughter boards with Mario's circuit board (Thanks Mario), I have 10 switches spare and for the cost of postage free to anyone else who wants to complete this work.

Last but not least, new Peter Perkins battery - single biggest improvement to my car.

Please note, all of this took me at least 6 weeks of weekends, NOT one day!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Well, I think I found the gas mileage sweet spot for my car. RPMs at about 1900, plus warmish temps - say mid-40s, Potenzas back on it and sideskirts in place netted me 63.4 mpg (tank avg so far after 80 miles 65% of which were highway on NJ TPK, some of which was at 75+ mph) -- that translated to driving between say 50-60 mph. If you can tolerate the slower speed, you can wring some pretty decent MPG out of a CVT car with more than 300k miles on it. (I turned it over 300k this morning). I can still get 53-54 mpg all day long going 75 on the highway.
Awesome to hear this. I'm on the first tank of my newest Insight since all repairs etc. have been done (plugs/EGR/etc) and am doing exactly what you are. Nice to see what the car can do! I'm about 1/3 of the way through my tank. Your MPG is pretty excellent for the cold weather up there, kudos.

Hahaha, at what point are you no longer a young fella and officially an old fart??
Only when you take yourself and your Insight too seriously.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I haven't done a valve adjustment or EGR plate cleaning, but I think the latter is less critical in a CVT.

·
Super Moderator
8,848 Posts
Fixed leaking quarter window - the cheap way. Not Scott approved. ;)

Details later.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oil change.

Put on Scott's underbody panel, which came with the car when I got it but there were more pressing repairs at the time, and then I was waiting for the warm weather to come back...

Sadly most of the plastic connection points under the car were ripped out or missing hardware, so zipties were involved...... Don't judge me!

Also my partner just told me I should get vanity plates that say "1ST JEN" because my name is Jen. I thought it was funny.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Replaced and programmed two new Key Fob remotes.

Originals would not wake up even after cleaning.

Reactions: MparkH

·
Registered
31 Posts
Took the Insight to cars and coffee with a friend this morning, here she is with the Aston Martin V8 Vantage (he parked next to me)

4501 - 4520 of 4569 Posts