Honda Insight Forum banner

4541 - 4560 of 4569 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
Quit smoking that green weed stuff.
Compare the tank to tank MPG's for a true reading. Not what the FCD shows.
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Cut and programmed two keys, Programmed two remotes.

Head dealer tech said when you clean the remote board and the red light still will not illuminate; it’s done.

Upside to the dealer visit is the COVID disinfectant they blast into the vents. Couldn’t hurt cleaning 21 years of filth.

I originally programmed the remotes using the service manual. The car will only recognize 3 remotes and 3 keys (example 2 black, 1valet).

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I took both my seats out of my car. I’m sitting on some 4 inch thick bubble plastic. And then the foam rubber from a Ford freestyle seat. Waze next to nothing. Way more comfortable than the car seat. If I am in a car wreck I might get whiplash. But that was a good movie. My car is like a woman the less it weighs the better.

·
Registered
252 Posts
That's a good list of forward-thinking cars, not all popular. I was unaware of some of the European models. One can always quibble with these lists, but that was a fun one. Surprised the Beetle wasn't on it. I might have added the Crosley (OHC, disc brakes, and steel wagon body in 1949) due to my personal bias, and the Owens Magnetic (first hybrid). There are a lot of candidates for "first supercar" but I'm partial to the Duesenberg SSJ.

Thanks for sharing!

- Park

Reactions: Arbus

·
Premium Member
2005 G1 NFR 5spd
341 Posts
I tried Scott's secret IMA Bypass by pulling the 7.5 A Fuse #18 from the engine bay Fuse Box as an experiment. My G1 had just passed Emission, so why not!
20210405_122437.jpg

RE92s at 55 psi, outside temp 73°, 40 miles of rolling hills on interstate. 12 Volt charging at 14.3 V except when RPM goes above 4,000 as expected.
Torque App Bluetooth was no longer working was the only downside. I couldn't monitor Engine Temperature or clear Check Engine or read Codes. Car stayed in Leanburn most of the time. Similar MPG with operating IMA.
It was a fun experiment. Will be putting #18 Fuse back in and pulling the tall Pink Fuse #16 for 10-15 Seconds to rest the IMA.

·
Registered
2000 MT
125 Posts
Removed the backup camera, installed stainless licence plate screws. Inspected the connector behind the passenger seat that powers the trunk latch. Ordered a new sumitomo connector (exact replacement) and pins to replace it. Finally going to fix my trunk latch.

·
Registered
2000 MT
125 Posts
I believe so, I want to get it into my hand before I commit to sharing something 100%. I will absolutely post the links of a couple places to buy. I'm into this at 11 or so shipped.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I tried Scott's secret IMA Bypass by pulling the 7.5 A Fuse #18 from the engine bay Fuse Box as an experiment. My G1 had just passed Emission, so why not!

RE92s at 55 psi, outside temp 73°, 40 miles of rolling hills on interstate. 12 Volt charging at 14.3 V except when RPM goes above 4,000 as expected.
Torque App Bluetooth was no longer working was the only downside. I couldn't monitor Engine Temperature or clear Check Engine or read Codes. Car stayed in Leanburn most of the time. Similar MPG with operating IMA.
It was a fun experiment. Will be putting #18 Fuse back in and pulling the tall Pink Fuse #16 for 10-15 Seconds to rest the IMA.
Awesome. I've found that non-IMA mpg is similar as long as you drive correctly. My first drive home after buying my first G1 with no IMA yielded 72mpg highway after 2 hours on the flat interstate, tires weren't even the right ones. Crazy what these cars can do!!!!!

55psi sounds painful though. I keep mine at 45 now. Is there much of a difference in ride quality? I would think there is.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
Run over a dime and you can tell if it is heads or tails!

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
42 Posts
Changed the oil and added a fumoto valve. Some of my under tray aero was missing bolts and held on with zip ties I didn't bring extra of. Currently the front middle metal plate is off and I need to at least zip tie the plastic two down as they drag at 50mph. Idk if I can get the metal one back on without ramps or jacks so it will likely wait until next oil change.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
42 Posts
Changed the oil and added a fumoto valve. Some of my under tray aero was missing bolts and held on with zip ties I didn't bring extra of. Currently the front middle metal plate is off and I need to at least zip tie the plastic two down as they drag at 50mph. Idk if I can get the metal one back on without ramps or jacks so it will likely wait until next oil change.
The metal panel and driver's side plastic panel are secure again. Missing the passenger one. No more scraping at 50. I'm not a fan of the 3 piece design that all bolts together, I think one piece would be much more convenient to unbolt. I'll have to research Scotts panels as I don't know if it replaced those, or is a whole nother piece.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Scott's panel replaces all three of the stock panels. Highly recommend!
I got it a couple days ago. It was amazingly fast from Left-Coast to Ohio........

I have no idea if I am missing just the middle or both sides..... I just looked under the car and saw a big void in the middle and saw long plastic side pieces that go all the way to the back..... didn’t put more thought into it because I thought the OeM front piece must have been one-piece but I guess I was wrong.

If I ever get the car out of the shop, the next step is finding the jack points under it, throwing down some cardboard to scoot easier under it, and throwing it on some jack stands and playing around under it.

I am hoping the bottom of the belly pan is easily distinguished from the top!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
The "top" of Scotts panel probably has a "buffer pad" installed on it. (pad goes under engine and faces UP.)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If I ever get the car out of the shop, the next step is finding the jack points under it, throwing down some cardboard to scoot easier under it, and throwing it on some jack stands and playing around under it.
The Insight is very low to the ground, a couple of inches lower than a Miata even. I usually just drive mine up on ramps to work on it. You can easily lift one entire side of the car using just one of the jacking points. Makes rotating the tires easier.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I drove around with 120 psi in my tires for two years. To test to see if they had any flex in them or give I would hit them with a 10 pound sledge hammer. And listen for that ring a bell. No just kidding. I can still squeeze them with my gripe.
But I am driving at 80 psi now up front to back tires are at 90 psi. Not very noticeable any change in mileage. Temperature has more to do with it but I assume 120 is a little better.

I mentioned that because being able to feel a dime comment is absolutely correct.

4541 - 4560 of 4569 Posts