Honda Insight Forum banner

4621 - 4640 of 4657 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I could see forced auto stop being helpful on long down grades. If you put in in neutral to lower resistance the injectors turn on to idle. If you open the throttle same thing. Lot of places I could coast several miles in neutral
I used to coast in neutral on the long down grades, but FAS is much more thrilling.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Spent the morning over at my Dad's bringing his 2000 Insight back to life. It was a bit of a basket case, sat for a year, he totally killed the 2019-new 12 volt battery (it literally reads 1 volt. How did he do it????), and of course the IMA battery was sad. Fortunately it was still hooked up to the HV charger I put in 2 years ago so that was ok. And the vent cap on the water outlet at the top of the heat switch area had rotted so it needed to be purged.

So we did the purge (good news, not many bubbles from just sitting), fired it up, ran it through the cycles and even though the water issue is fine it's still doing the idle hunting: Specifically if the HV battery is not trying to charge the engine is fine. As soon as the HV battery starts to charge (a single green bar) the engine starts to sag, almost stall, recover. Put on the AC and it sags even lower, the AC compressor shuts off, it recovers, AC compressor engages, sags, etc. You can see that with the AC gauges I put on to check pressure (would drop to 30, then go up to 80, then to 30 on the low side).

I might do a new thread on this, just what circuits, logic, and vacuum lines handle the engine idle control? Is there a vacuum solenoid that goes around the throttle? Last time I worked on it I replaced the idle stabilization value (and the water gasket and bled the water system as a result) but the new one doesn't seem to be any better so I have wondered if it's a logic issue....

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
50 Posts
Restored the headlight lenses with Turtle Wax. Super easy and quick but i wonder how long they'll stay like this.

Also noticed my clutch only feeling like anything at the bottom of it's press so I added some fluid and it seems to have helped a bit. I think it has a very small leak somewhere but never really seen drips or puddles where I park. I'll have it looked at whenever I get the transmission fluid done but idk when that will be.

·
Super Moderator
1,986 Posts
When your clutch master cylinder reservoir is and the pedal grabs right off the floor, usually the fluid leak is the master cylinder leaking inside the cabin of the car down the inside of the firewall. This is why you don’t really see a puddle or fluid leak. You really need to use a flashlight and look under the dash where the clutch pedal/piston goes through the firewall.

Scott

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
50 Posts
Sacriledge; but I left it at the shop. Want them to replace both cylinders since one is for sure leaking. Have to skate to work for the next day or two.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
It was about one year ago that I joined this online community and tried to get you guys to convince me not to buy a G1. Since then I've owned/brought-back-to-life/restored two and almost bought 4 others...but I came to my senses.

Higher temps are helping me on this tank...not really using every hypermiling trick and still seeing 70mpg on my mostly-in-town commute and this is on e10 not e0. Love this car!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ha! As opposed to @jeffffej I loaned my car to my son while I was on vacation for a week and came back to find this…

“How did you even do that?!” I asked incredulously.

He admitted to taking his hour-long lunch break in the Wendy’s parking lot with the AC on full blast and the car idling all week.

Given that use case, 38mpg is still pretty respectable.

- Park

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Better to buy him his own car than to take such a hit to your own MPG numbers. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Better to buy him his own car than to take such a hit to your own MPG numbers. :)
He has two cars. Both currently broken, but we're working on that. He has my taste in cars - cheap and old - and he doesn't mind fixing them. Makes for some good father-son time in the garage.

He was remarking that in his usual daily driver, an '89 Lincoln Town Car, he can actually watch the gas gauge drop visibly if he idles the car for an hour. So he was impressed he could do it for a week in the Insight and only lose a tick or two on the gauge. I shudder to think what he spends on gas.

The Insight's readout was below 36mpg when I got the car back Saturday. I've managed to work the number up driving around town. It's been freakin' HOT in Wisconsin this week so I am continuing the practice of all AC, all the time. I'll reset the computer with the next tankful and all will be well.

- Park

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
645 Posts
Got it (the new-to-me 5 spd) titled and registered, got plates and started grid charging with a Maxx Volts grid charger (included in purchase) at 10:15 a.m. @ 159 V, now (7:40 p.m.) at 174 V. Started at 271 mA rate, now at 258 mA rate. Probably 82°F here now. Charger and IMA fans running.

Been at 174 V since 7:40 p.m. (now 9:10 p.m.) and steady at 258 mA charge rate.

It will likely rain tonight and the rear hatch is cracked enough to allow an extension cord in. If I am going to charge it until it stops rising, can I break off the charging overnight and pick up for another 12+ hours tomorrow, or is there some reason the charging should be uninterrupted?

Plus the meter on the grid charger has no decimal places, so I don't really know whether the charge has stopped rising. Any suggestions other than get another charger with a better meter?

Left it on overnight due to the black 🐻 (wife forgot to bring in the sunflower seed bird feeder a/k/a bear snack dispenser).

Grid charger @177 V and 274 mA charge rate at 5 a m., so nearly 19 hours after first beginning. Charger will stay on for a while longer.

178V @ 262 mA at 7 a.m. (after 21 hours) so it will stay on the grid charger a bit longer.

178 V @ 258 mA at 12:30, so 26 hrs. 15 min. in.

·
Registered
282 Posts
@olrowdy01 likes to watch that decimal point on the voltage. The last few hours it ticks up very… slowly…

Elsewhere I’ve seen a calculation of about 30 hours with a 350 milliamp charger to push a battery up to max.

My personal experience using my charger with the decimal readout, working at approx 350ma, is that the 30 hour estimate is just about right.

Your charger is working at a lower current, so it would take longer. But I’d expect it to top out around 176-178 volts, less if the ambient temp is high. So you’re probably about at peak.

While the batteries seem to be fault tolerant, it is possible to damage them by charging too long, especially if it’s hot out. I’d probably pull the plug if it were me.

Conventional wisdom says you’ll get the best results if you next do a long slow discharge, then repeat the charge/discharge cycle two more times, and finish with a grid charge.

Best o’ luck!

- Park

·
Registered
645 Posts
I don't have discharge capability right now. I'm either going to have to remove the Maxx Volts harness and replace with Prolong Harness, or make and fit a light bulb discharger.

Also, the Maxx Volts has no decimal places in the voltage read out, so if it is increasing by hundreds or tenths (or stable), I have no way to judge and yes, it is a little warm here.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Changed engine air cleaner (needed). and spark plugs (dumped Densos for correct Honda Bs). The gap on the replaced plugs was probably 2x spec. The plugs were also loose in the head (all three). Here's hoping MPGs improve.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Put a new BOV on the other day. Sounds much better, and boost seems to be a little more consistent now. I think the old unit I was using was leaking a little at low boost.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 Insight 5MT A/C
11 Posts
This doesn't quite fit here. But I doodled my Insight. Image quality isn't great cause I used my phone, but I plan on scanning it.
Insight rough.png

Fun style to draw cars in. Especially being a design student and typically having to make everything perfectly rendered, lol.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Used your phone? I couldn't get that good an image using a camera!

Reactions: jcburk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Insight was towed to the shop in MARCH and I just got it back 3 days ago……. Hydraulics leak inside the clutch boot, that wasn’t leaking outside……. so felt like clutch was shot….

Either way, that took awhile!

So now I finally have license plate and registration for it

Also put the aluminum panel under it ….. So that’s nice

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally got it to pass smog and was able to transfer the title!

Driving it home after the sale it threw a CEL which would go on and off every couple of days while driving. Smog place plugged in the reader and said the cat was bad and would need replacing, but after a few more weeks of freeway driving the light went off and hasn't come back on -- thinking maybe it cleaned itself out with some harder/longer drives than it was getting? Anyways, it passed without having to drop any dough and it's fully in my hands.

It's a black 2001 CVT that I picked up on craigslist a month ago. Definitely needs some TLC to get it running smoother, and have I've been fixing little issues here and there this past month, but it runs alright and gets me to work and back at ~55mpg (much better than my van that gets 20 on a good day)!

First big project a few weeks back was fixing the whirring trunk latch thanks to Jessie's part. Following that was the rear speaker re-installation, and next items on the list are and EGR plate & valve cleaning and remedying my sticky passenger side window.

Big thanks to all those who have been posting on here for many years for making my life a whole lot easier!

g1(2).jpg g1.jpg

4621 - 4640 of 4657 Posts