Honda Insight Forum banner
4741 - 4760 of 4818 Posts

·
Registered
Red 2005 AT
6 Posts
My CEL and IMA popped up a couple of days ago for the first time! I am a 78 year old hybrid novice! I bought my 2005 CVT last Dec with 196k+ miles and it now has 206k+. The battery gauge stayed within 0 to 3 "ticks" from the top until about a week ago when it would drop down to mid-gauge the back up, etc. I know someone that has had a G1 for years so I messaged him (after reading in my manual which, of course, said to "rush on over" to a Honda dealer!). My friend said to disconnect the battery under the hood for like 30 seconds. I did that and the two "lights" did not reappear!
Comments/suggestions!?

·
Super Moderator
5,396 Posts
A guy at a gas station asked me if he could look at my car. He worked at a Honda dealership and had never seen one.

Sam

·
Registered
495 Posts
OK! Finally got the leanburn ECM installed in my CVT! Thread soon, but just had to get it out there! Wheeeee!

·
Registered
insight 2006 MT insight 2005 MT
57 Posts

I gave a twin brother to my insight.
He's the bad boy of the family, he seems to have eaten salt since birth. But I don't despair, I'll get him back to health quickly

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Went to do an A-pillar clip fix on my beater...cut all the clips and the trim won't budge. I've taken 5 of these off and know how it works...someone has been in there before me and probably gorilla glued the trim down due to broken inserts. Hate that I cut all the good clips but seeing as that thing is not coming off without a fight I'm going to leave it and form plan B. I did some work at the little rectangular trim piece behind the A-pillar trim, perhaps that will resolve this leak. It is a small leak.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,109 Posts
Sometimes they're easy, but sometimes they suck. I've never seen one where someone else tried it first, but it's certainly possible. First Insight I owned I tried to fix it but only got 1 of the sides done so if current owner (not person i sold it to) tried to fix the leak they'd run into the sealer I had put in there and it might make their life harder.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Sometimes they're easy, but sometimes they suck. I've never seen one where someone else tried it first, but it's certainly possible. First Insight I owned I tried to fix it but only got 1 of the sides done so if current owner (not person i sold it to) tried to fix the leak they'd run into the sealer I had put in there and it might make their life harder.
Thanks. This car was well loved at some point, there are evidences of that...and the driver side does not leak, at 203k it should unless something has been done. I pulled on it pretty strong and it didn't budge. My theory is that it was sealed at one point but has somehow began leaking again, and that when it was sealed the tabs broke so the P.O. epoxied it down firm. I have an alternate plan to solve this issue that should look clean and yet keep the water out.

Reactions: Natalya

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
56 Posts
Installed Scotts aero panel under the car and attached the front bumper better as some holes were torn through. Drilled a couple new ones and zip ties it down where I could. the new panel helped secure things a bit better!

·
Registered
14 Posts

Took the Insight on it's first run through the twisties up to Julian CA with my partner. Not as much speed as the Volvo but so much fun to drive (without breaking the wallet as well).

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Silver looks great!

Question, ideas about what to do with the fading black plastic? Mine is a lot worse.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Took the Insight on it's first run through the twisties up to Julian CA with my partner.
Julian is awesome. Great memories of dutch apple pie from the Julian Cafe, playing in the snow nearby in winter, etc....

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
868 Posts
Wipe New - a Rust-Oleum product - should work on the black plastic trim. A little goes a long way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Finally got round to checking the plugs after 4 months ownership. All type B and all within spec after 100,000km. However, one very loose, one loose but with stiff threads so could only tell by winding it back in past the point I started at, and just one was tight and had nice clean insulation on plug and coil - loose ones needed a good clean. Not driven it yet, but hoping it will improve the slight hesitation it has at times.

·
Registered
47 Posts
R&R left front wheel bearing. I bought a good quality wheel bearing without the hub so there was a good deal more monkeying around to be done to change out the bearing. Knowing what I know now if I had bought a wheel bearing/hub assembly I could have changed it out without removing the steering knuckle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bought this 2003 insight last year on ebay for $1606 with 123k miles. It was used on a farm so the suspension was shot. The IMA battery was failing as well. She's finally ready to become my daily commuter with the following done.

Control arms, Sway bar linkage in front, OEM struts in front with new bump stops, Gaz struts in rear with Scott's springs all around

Scott's custom belly pan

Oil pan replacement (Scott supplied the oil pan)

Fumoto Oil drain plug

Motor oil and filter change

Honda MT oil change

new 8ah greentec IMA battery.

2nd and 3rd o2 fouler (from Scott)

new belt

Valve clearance adjustment

New u1 battery with the necessary adapter components.

pioneer Bluetooth stereo and 4 pioneer speakers.

New speaker grill in sandstone (wrong color for my grey insight if anyone wants to trade lol)

Polish and wax

interior clean and new floor mats

Waterproof new pillar clips on each side

new windshield wiper linkage

Here she is after successfully taking me to work.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
OK! Finally got the leanburn ECM installed in my CVT! Thread soon, but just had to get it out there! Wheeeee!
I'm so jealous!!! Where did you get your ECU from??? I have been looking for one for months!

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Bought this 2003 insight last year on ebay for $1606 with 123k miles. She's finally ready to become my daily commuter with the following done.....
Really love what you have done to this car. Reminds me (very similar parts/work list) to what I've done to my '00 grey in the last few months of ownership. I am on the opposite of this as you, having finished the car a few months ago and now selling it to start repairing another one. The prices that we can sell these for after such work, compared to what we spent to get them there, is an interesting thing to me lately.

On another note, today I had new RE92s installed on the Cherry Bomb Rocket, my installer also bled the brakes and adjusted the rear brake shoes, aside from a few small repairs in the queue this car is on its way to something!!!!

4741 - 4760 of 4818 Posts