Honda Insight Forum banner
4761 - 4780 of 4818 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
How do you keep the clearcoat on the wheels in such good shape???
Thanks for the good word. I use felt polishing pads on my orbital buffer with different polishes, I most recently used White Diamond on my Insight.

The buffer is really what makes the work easy and thorough, doing this by hand is a labor. Be careful not to buff the deeper grey recessed sections too hard, that paint is fragile. And I recommend doing the wheel caps by hand, they flake very easily.

Pads:
Amazon.com: GLASS POLISH 11010 GP-PRO Felt Polishing Pad Set for Polishing Glass, Plastic, Metal, Marble | Ø 6 inch | Pack of 5 Pads : Automotive

Polish:
White Diamond Metal Polish with Long Lasting Sealant, 12 fl oz - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Reactions: Dougie

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,273 Posts
just finished changing the commutation sensors. This will yield a p1565 code along with the IMA light. The process involves pulling the trans, clutch, flywheel half-shafts. What a pain. I only just know started the car and my codes are gone.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
868 Posts
I changed the "o-ring" (really a gasket with filter screen) for the timing chain auto tensioner. It had been weeping oil down the back of the block on the passenger side. Pretty simple job. I got a good tip from Scott K., to use a thin coating of Hondabond on both sides of the metal gasket on reassembly.

Although probably unnecessary, I won't run the engine until tomorrow to let the Hondabond set up overnight (since the whole reason I did this was to cure an oil leak). I figured with oil involved, I should give it a little extra time.

This is a pretty trivial procedure. If you have that characteristic leak down the back of the block, there is really no reason to put off replacing that gasket.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Honestly, the most time consuming aspect of the timing belt auto tensioner gasket replacement is cleaning up the parts on removal and applying the Hondabond to both sides of the thin metal gasket.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Installed Scott's rear springs, changed driver side beltline molding with good used and washed and waxed with Meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax. Probably should have installed the grid charger harness instead, since I got an iIMA light on the test drive for the springs.

And, I see fresh oil down the back of the block after having done the timing chain auto tensioner reseal (well I know it isn't leaking from there).

I also recently replaced the valve cover gasket (it needed it).

So could oil there (on the passenger side rear) be evidence of a bad head gasket? If not, what else could it be? As far as I am aware, I don't have any other symptoms that might be associated with a head gasket leak. At least I don't think I do.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,561 Posts
Crankshaft seal? It can fling oil to the back of the engine right below the tensioner. IMHO

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Sold my car. My grey one that is, now I'm down to 1.5 Insights. Something leaves the soul as your Honda Insight pulls away in another man's arms. But, with this out of the way there is new opportunity!!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Completed Prolong charger/discharger harness install and the car is currently plugged in and charging. Install is pretty simple for anyone contemplating making the plunge. Translation: If I can do it, you can do it.

Been on the grid charger for about 4.5 hrs. Started at 160V, seemingly stable at 171V (no tenths) for about the past hour. Could simply have slowed in rate of climb. I do not have an OBDII C&C.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sold my car. My grey one that is, now I'm down to 1.5 Insights. Something leaves the soul as your Honda Insight pulls away in another man's arms. But, with this out of the way there is new opportunity!!!
Congratulations on selling your car, we'll assume you got a fair price for it considering its condition and level of detail.
Tim

·
Registered
868 Posts
Turned off the P1457 code I popped on the way home with my ELM327 chip code reader.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I did 2 complete cycles on my battery so 3 charges. First went to 169.9v, second to 172.5, and the third to 173.3.

Completed Prolong charger/discharger harness install and the car is currently plugged in and charging. Install is pretty simple for anyone contemplating making the plunge. Translation: If I can do it, you can do it.

Been on the grid charger for about 4.5 hrs. Started at 160V, seemingly stable at 171V (no tenths) for about the past hour. Could simply have slowed in rate of climb. I do not have an OBDII C&C.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I did the leaky seat belt fix. Discovered I'd done it before, using silicone caulk. However, the caulk separated from the white plastic clip, creating a gap where the water was undoubtedly entering (channel between roof and side that is behind this point was sealed). Decided to try JB-Weld around that clip this time around.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
This summer I've easily seen this a dozen times. We live on the edge of a swamp so perhaps the dragonflies are more numerous that where you live. But they are everywhere and they are constantly perched on my Insight's antenna (which is from a VW).

·
Registered
384 Posts
Cool pictures!! Dragonflies eat lots of mosquitoes!!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yesterday, actually, turned it over 304K miles. I've only put about 9k of those on, but with some regular maintenance and a few timely repairs, it just keeps ticking over.

Lifetime MPG is 54.7 (I have not reset it) and lately I've been averaging 55.4 mpg including a 90 mile, 2/3 highway trip (commute) at 60-75 mph 2x/week (I think the EGR plate cleaning may have helped things).

I'm not sure I can squeeze my average higher (remember, this is a CVT), but I will do a three cycle grid charge/discharge early next week, so maybe a marginally healthier battery will give me a mpg boost as well.

Recently I have adjusted my habits to run daytime running lights, i e , headlight always on, to extend battery health by keeping up SOC (opinions on that may vary, but I am giving it a try).

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
55 MPG is good for a CVT. I assume you have the tires pumped up. Also even a fairly small reduction in highway speed makes a significant difference. I would try backing off to 70 MPH max to see if it helps.

4761 - 4780 of 4818 Posts