Honda Insight Forum banner
4781 - 4800 of 4818 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
If there is any suggestion of a history of front end suspension repairs, consider getting an alignment. The G1 alignment specs are weird and a previous owner might have tried to make them normal.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
868 Posts
Just started the discharge after charging up to 173V, stable for several hours, after charging for approx. 20 hrs. Over c. 3 hrs., It has discharged from 173 to 142V. How long might it take to discharge to 96V?

So, a half hour later the voltage is flickering between 141-142 and the discharge amperage is fluctuating rapidly, almost oscillating, between about .9 and about .5 amps. Normal?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Over c. 3 hrs., It has discharged from 173 to 142V. How long might it take to discharge to 96V?
That’s a pretty fast discharge, but maybe your load is bigger than mine.

I happen to be doing a cycle right now. I did a 17-hour charge until the battery leveled out around 173v. Let it test for an hour, then started my discharge with two 60w bulbs in series. After 11 hours I’m at 145.2v.

My experience over a year of doing this is that somewhere south of 140v the battery falls off a cliff and discharges rapidly. Like, in an hour or two it can drop from 130v to 90v or 60v. You need to keep a close eye.

I haven’t experienced the bouncy voltages you describe, but I recall reading somewhere this happens when you start running into unbalanced cells. What you’re seeing is individual cells or groups suddenly discharging and fighting each other. If I understand correctly, this is actually good. You want them all to discharge, and then the successive charge/discharge cycles begin to rebalance them so they are more in sync.

Maybe. Hopefully the folks that know will chip in their two bits.

- Park

Reactions: Joule

·
Registered
868 Posts
I did not let the pack rest before commencing discharge after charging it for 20 hrs. Jumped right into the discharge per Hybrid Automotive instructions.

·
Registered
306 Posts
@Joule, I doubt whether resting the pack is really that critical. I use a homemade grid charge and discharge setup and am following OlRowdy's suggestion to let the pack rest with the cooling fan running between cycles.

For what it's worth... I keep charts of my charge and discharge cycles in Google Sheets. Here's the link:

By using the tabs at the bottom, you can look back at previous cycles and see how the discharge curve works. The graphs are roughly to scale on the timeline. The blue line is voltage. The red line is amps (*100 to make the line visible on the same graph). I also chart temperature and discharge loads, so you can see the effect those have on voltages.

This is a Honda battery. Not sure of its age, or whether it's a replacement. It came with my '02 silver car and seemed to be pretty resilient, so I transplanted it into my '00 Citrus. It goes about 6 months between needing a few cycles of grid charging/discharging to rejuvenate it.

- Park

·
Registered
868 Posts
Thanks Park. Roughly eight hours from 173 V down to 96 V. Charging again.

Five and a half hours charging from 96 (after post- discharge rebound to 122 V) to the current 162 V and seven and a half hours to 163 V. Nine and a half hours to 165 V. Eleven hours to flickering 165/66. Sixteen hours to 169 V. Eighteen hours to 171 V. Nineteen and a half hours to 173 V. Twenty-one hours to 175 V. It ultimately ran up to 177V where I let it sit for several hours.

On removing the charger and connecting the discharger, the voltage read 174 V. Two hours later it had discharged to 150 V at a 1.5 A load. So losing about 12 V an hour (I know it's not linear). Next stop, 60 V.

Seven hours after connecting the discharger, we are at 97V with a 0.25A discharge load.

After a discharge to 60 V, the pack rebounded to 132V right before I plugged in the charger. Went from 132 to 155 V in the 1.25 hours it has been charging since.

·
Registered
306 Posts
This is kinda fun. Dueling battery cycles. I’m trying something new and keeping the car in service while I do the charge/discharge cycles. I just flip the main battery switch off when I drive, then turn on the battery and reconnect the system while I’m parked at home or work.

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle Tire

Burning the midnight discharge at home. The yellow color is because the only pair of true 60w incandescent bulbs I could find were bug lights.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Pulled up out back at church for a charge cycle. Dangerously close to the aluminum recycling.

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

My homemade charger and discharger setup riding along. (Thanks again, @olrowdy01). Who says the Insight isn’t a PHEV?

I threw in an old floor mat to keep things from sliding around and cover the battery switch. Also a thermometer to track ambient temps.

Things are working fine so far. The car drives okay in light city traffic minus the IMA and seems to be charging the 12v adequately, except when I get excited and rev the engine too high. (What's the limit? Something like 3500rpm?) Then it temporarily throws the battery and brake warning lights, but resets in a minute or so.

Data nerds can follow along on the Google Sheet I linked earlier. You can see where I flip things off to drive. It's like a mathematical live blog - data is visible as soon as I post it.

- Park

·
Registered
2000 MT
153 Posts
Finally got around to installing some pads and rotors, and wheel bearings. My goodness is it quiet now. Interested to see any mpg change over the new couple weeks from not pushing through dragging brakes and a worn bearing.

·
Registered
2000 Insight, 5MT, red
29 Posts
This was yesterday, but I took it to a local cars and coffee.

My friend helped put the newspaper article on the window. I need to make a proper board for meets and such...

I know there's an underpanel/fender liner not in place. On my list of things to address. If I recall correctly, there's a broken tab of some sort.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Today I drove over to TN to meet @mudder and pick up another Insight to clean/fix up...sadly it wasn't meant to be (see his FS free thread on why) but we got to wrench together and get soaked in the downpour and shoot his M-16 <snip> on the back porch to cap things off. Also got to see his home, the garage of which is custom-built to fit his garage queen G1. Lots of driving but worth it to meet a fellow Insighter and hang out with a good friend who drove me up there.

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
Wow, I don't even treat Dogbite that well. Gotta up my game!

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Installed a new to the car radio (97-01 Prelude) and did some light cleaning:

Also replaced a tail light bulb because the running light filament was burnt out.
That radio is cool. Coincidence, looks like your temp control dial bulb is out - just found mine to be out as well. I happened to be swapping my dash buttons yesterday and while I was in there pulled the bulb and ordered a new one which should arrive tomorrow. They're $5. P/N if I got it right (Isaac was kind enough to verify the P/N) is
79670-S0X-A01.

·
Registered
2000 Insight, 5MT, red
29 Posts
That radio is cool. Coincidence, looks like your temp control dial bulb is out - just found mine to be out as well. I happened to be swapping my dash buttons yesterday and while I was in there pulled the bulb and ordered a new one which should arrive tomorrow. They're $5. P/N if I got it right (Isaac was kind enough to verify the P/N) is
79670-S0X-A01.
Looks like my ECON button's light is out too? Unsure if the correct part number for that would be 35851-SP0-506 or not.

4781 - 4800 of 4818 Posts