Honda Insight Forum banner
4901 - 4920 of 4943 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I confirmed that the P1448 that the IMA was reporting (the main ECU reports it as P1600; not sure what the IMA blink code is since my reader reads the IMA directly) was definitely caused by me forgetting to plug in the IMA fan during reassembly.

EGR plate. Bought a second one so I can just swap it out instead of having to clean it out right there and then when I take it out.
That's a really great idea. I need to do that.

I'm doing the same for my NiMH pack - have a spare that I put through reconditioning while I drive using the other.

The photos of your red insight with an the fall leaves are awesome.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've looked at that but I lack air in my garage. Unfortunately, I didn't even do the Insight burping at the garage, I did it at my house which is across town. My $6 funnel kit did the job although it took some time haha.

I confirmed that the P1448 that the IMA was reporting (the main ECU reports it as P1600; not sure what the IMA blink code is since my reader reads the IMA directly) was definitely caused by me forgetting to plug in the IMA fan during reassembly.

That's a really great idea. I need to do that.

I'm doing the same for my NiMH pack - have a spare that I put through reconditioning while I drive using the other.

The photos of your red insight with an the fall leaves are awesome.
I've done this before but to my Fit. Forgot to plug the crank position sensor after putting in a new engine and got two codes immediately.

Scott sold me the second EGR plate for $25, which spared me some cleaning time. The swap only took 20 minutes with me taking my time and I spent more cleaning up the coolant spray residue from the day before. Well worth having a second one IMO.

One day I'll get to where I'll have a second NiMH pack to recondition. Currently, I have to wait for my garage to get open real estate again. Hoping by the end of this month, I'll be able to put the Insight there for a week.

Thanks! I'm hoping to get some scenic photos of it before all of the leaves fall off...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Facing a delaminating tire while on the road, I decided to call around local used tire stores. The second one I called had a 165/65R14 for $30. I don't think I was in the shop for more than 10 minutes. I left with a balanced RE92 that had about 50% life left and was in better shape than two of the three remaining tires. So easy!!!!

Reactions: Natalya and MparkH

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,700 Posts
What was the date of MFG on the tire?

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,072 Posts
Yesterday actually. Bro helped me with front strut, Scott's uprated front springs and new sway bar end link R&R. Didn't get the new front lower control arms done and I can hear the bushings groaning.

Picked up alloy mounted Nokian Nordman (studded) from local tire shop. They were remounted from steelies and put on alloys.

Had to pull fuse #18 under the hood on my commute to work in the rain this morning because my pack died right on schedule (after a week's use) and I didn't grid charger last night. For now, running gas only.

I hope to replace the pack this weekend.

I have to say based on not more than 50 miles on the car since the partial suspension refresh, it is utterly transformed. It still has what I would characterize as an active ride, but it is active toward the "sporty" side -- that is, you know when you are on a bad road -- as opposed to active in the sense that it is going to rattle my fillings out, and give my Bobbleheads whiplash, which was the prior state of affairs.

I suspect a large part of that improvement is due to Scott's uprated springs.

I will post more on those, after a bit more use, but preliminary indications suggest this is a worthwhile upgrade (remember, I am running a CVT and Scott makes uprated springs for both 5 MT and CVT and they are different).

On another front, I noticed a torn front caliper piston boot on my driver side caliper that, once road salt gets in there, will cause me no end of hurt in Winter, so time for driver side caliper replacement.

It's always something . . . But my little ride pays large dividends in cost savings, meeting a bunch of great new people through this forum, and driving fun so, thus far, it has been worth it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This afternoon I fitted an aftermarket remote receiver to lock/unlock the car as it came with no fobs and, as it is an early JDM car, I couldn't be sure which of the (expensive) Honda fobs available would work with it. Very simple to do needing just a ground connection and three Scotch Lock splices. I did think about linking a spare button to the hatch release, but there didn't seem to be any advantage. Will have to think about whether anything else is worth doing - horn and lamp flash obvious candidates. Planning to do the same to the Smart ForFour as the only fob for that is dead.

·
Registered
37 Posts
SS brakes lines and fuel lines. New wheel cylinders. new brake hoses. new Aluminum bulkhead fuel fitting on hat as rodent ate into the nylon elbow.

Looking for :
rear spring
parking cables.

Back on the road, driving like I stole it.
ISB left long time ago, still going - 1,2 and 4th

Reactions: Saxjonz

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,700 Posts
There are several threads about installing the brake/fuel lines here at ICN. IIRC. Search by topic is the answer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Today was a first. I spent over $50.00 to fill my Insight.

I did use Premium @ $5.19/gal, but I figured what the hell as regular was $4.89!

I remember YEARS of less than $25.00 to fill it up. How do people in large SUV's do it?

Reactions: Natalya

·
Registered
37 Posts
They are the fine lines, not the oem lines. I guess I could figure it out when pressed to get it done.
Correct. no instructions. Take photos before taking apart. It's not hard, bit time consuming.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I put a few miles on the red deermobile.

Map World Line Atlas Parallel

(pretty much the route, destinations changed to make the route come out right. detours made it about 7500 miles)

The Insight did really well.

I did a similar drive a couple of months earlier with a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid. Trashed both front trailing arm bushings, though.

The IMA packs seem to really love the long, long drives.

·
Super Moderator
5,435 Posts
Mine, too.

Sam

4901 - 4920 of 4943 Posts