Honda Insight Forum banner
4921 - 4940 of 4943 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Next time stop by. If you drove through 90/94 you literally were less than 2 miles away. We could do a flag rally where members take it across the US, Canada, and Mexico even, to have members sign it and put their mileage. Could even search out other G1 owners perhaps not active on the forum to get a better idea of how many are in this side of the pond. I participated in a bike flag rally where we a leg rode from Chicago to Jackson Hole and back to meet several members along the way. Was an amazing trip.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I was thinking about posting ahead of time. Next time I will do that!!!

Reactions: Saxjonz

·
Registered
2002 Insight 5MT A/C
34 Posts
Today - grid charging. For the first time under my ownership.

Last week though, I drove to NYC from Cincinnati and back. 1400 mile round trip. Turned over 160k. Car was trouble free.
Averaged 57.5 MPG. Which isn’t great, but I’ll take it for how cold it was. Love my Insight.

·
Super Moderator
9,299 Posts
Set up my hot air intake. Insulated the intake tube, the filter box, and the throttle body intake.

Blocked 90% of grill openings. (Don't do this without an accurate coolant temp gauge.)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Blocked 90% of grill openings. (Don't do this without an accurate coolant temp gauge.)
I just found out that the VW ID.4 EV has a roller blind contraption that automatically moves up and down to block off the radiator (used to cool battery and motor), at least in part to improve aerodynamics. Maybe that is a standard thing in modern cars???

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,700 Posts
Big semi trucks have been using that setup for years.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I pulled out my Blizzak snow tires (mounted on Civic wheels) and looked at the date codes. 2105 (week 21, 2005). They have two sets of wear marks, one for "special compound is used up" and one for "tire is worn out." They are down to the first mark.

My RE92 tires have 4413 date code, so they are "only" 8 years old. They are almost down to the "tire is worn out" mark, but not quite.

So I'm probably going to just leave on the RE92s. Not seeing much in the way of 155/80-13 snow tires on TireRack.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yesterday, replaced the glovebox after repairing/reinforcing the stoppers on the back of the glovebox. One was just hanging by a thread. Glued that one with Super glue activator and Future glue gel. Then, I reinforced both by glueing down a black hose washer at both locations and filled the gaps with black tinted epoxy. Hoping this prevents them from breaking in the future.
Automotive tire Grey Automotive design Rim Tints and shades

Automotive lighting Cable Rim Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Look at these two fine red G1s!!!!

Had a most epic day with @Natalya who came over and met my family and then we did car stuff today. Advanced mods were installed, two G1s got a full detail/headlight restoration/ceramic treatment, and the power of LITHIUM infected me such that I might not sleep tonight. So glad for this forum and friendships I continue to enjoy here.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,072 Posts
IMA pack that Johnny G charged up for me from used sticks obtained from Eli at Bumblebee went into the Silver Spaceship today. Couldn't get the test drive in since I didn't like the brake pedal feel so I'll see if I can get it in to my independent this week.

And the pack fun did not end! My daily driver CVT finally got the pack I got from Chris (Coasties) wreck a few weeks back. I finally had a chance to install it. It seems to be a champ.

However, because I have been running ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) only for the past couple weeks, which seems hard on the 12 V, I had the brake and battery light lit on my test drive and at the end, it was lighting up the ABS and EPS lights as well. Th
e 12V was reading exactly 12V at rest after the test drive, which is pretty depleted, so it is on the CTEK charger/reconditioner now. I may not be able to save it.

Looks like the 12V will respond to a reconditioning.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,187 Posts
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

So, this is "What did your friend do to your G1 Insight today?" instead of what did I do to my Insight.

I don't know how to detail a car, and Jeff doesn't know how to build circuit boards, so I suggested that we trade our skills instead of dollars. I drove up to Jeff's place early Sunday afternoon and we spent a few hours on Insight projects!

Jeff gave my car the trim pieces for the reverse lights and the rear spoiler that he has on his car. He also washed and polished my car and did a ceramic coating, shined the wheels, and did some kind of magic on the black trim piece below the bumper to make it look nice again even though it's over 21 years old.

While he was doing all that I installed a clutch switch and EFAS into his latest Insight.

Circuit component Passive circuit component Light Automotive lighting Hardware programmer

I am no longer selling EFAS to the public, but I am still building these LED-illuminated clutch switches. This isn't the exact clutch switch I gave him, but his looks exactly like this one, you can kinda see it installed in one of the photos Jeff took above.

All-in-all it was a fun day. I really love working on these cars!

4921 - 4940 of 4943 Posts