Honda Insight Forum banner
5041 - 5060 of 5073 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Your New Formula Red has a good shine beneath a little road grime. You are probably in the minority of vehicle owners who actually wash the salt residue off the undersides. It will pay off over the long run as you know. I don't know how often you need to do this as I have yet to live in an area that uses road salt.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Your New Formula Red has a good shine beneath a little road grime. You are probably in the minority of vehicle owners who actually wash the salt residue off the undersides. It will pay off over the long run as you know. I don't know how often you need to do this as I have yet to live in an area that uses road salt.
Thanks. I'm really pleased how well the car cleaned up when my friend detailed it.

Depending on how wet the roads are and how much salt is laid down, I'm at the car wash rinsing it off every 2-3 days until the roads are cleared out, rain or shine. Its a bit excessive, but I also hate an ashy car and I don't like the idea of salt eating up something I plan on preserving.

I've driven my 580k-mile Fit nearly 200k miles and the underside, wheel wells, and arms/beam still looks great. The only rust that car has is a hole on each side on the end of the rocker and one side has some on the wheel well. Both areas have been rusting internally before my ownership.

My very rusty Miata which spent time in the UK has even seen its fair share of salt, and the body really hasn't gotten much worse. Before the Miata, I daily drove a rust-free '99 Integra GSR for four years even in the snow and rinsing underneath that car often paid off.

Rinsed it today during my lunch break and last rinsed on Friday.

I think those undercarriage sprays work on a timer.
They might. I'm not sure, but they always seem to turn off when I'm not ready.

I always feel like I have to coast into the bay at 3-5 mph for the water to really get front to back.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It doesn't sound excessive to me. It sounds like you have a good regimen that has worked well with your other cars. Some vehicles have areas that trap moisture/salt and they are almost impossible to rinse and dry. I don't know if the G1 has this. It also pays off for ease of repair to minimize corrosion.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Some vehicles have areas that trap moisture/salt and they are almost impossible to rinse and dry. I don't know if the G1 has this. It also pays off for ease of repair to minimize corrosion.
I haven't owned the Insight long enough to figure that bit out. I'm sure someone can chime in.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
No problems like that I know of. Bought my car almost 17 years ago.

The corrosion areas on the G1 Insight mostly seem to be in the pieces made of steel, located on the bottom where they are exposed to salt. Underbody bolts, fuel lines, etc. The body is aluminum and plastic.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Well I ran an errand and the roads were clear, so I can’t say how the handling is, but they are quite noisy as you might expect. I think the rear IMA enclosure and cargo compartment act like a giant reasonator. Sounds like you’re driving around with a box of lose marbles in the back.
My Nokian Nordman 155/80R13 unstudded tires arrived today. They look good, but don't have the traditional yellow balancing dots. Did yours? There are some small stickers on the beads that might be balancing marks, maybe?

Also interesting that they list a maximum pressure of 47 PSI. They weight 13.7 pounds. Made in Russia.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Today I installed a new valve cover gasket and did a valve adjustment. Very easy job though I was slightly misled by a YouTube DIY vid but all worked out fine in the end. My valve cover was leaking on the exhaust side and the old VCG upon inspection was very hard in that area but soft elsewhere. Valve clearances were perfect on the intake side but a bit tight on the exhaust side. Engine was pretty clean without much buildup in there at all after 205k so I am quite happy! And the car seemed to tick a bit less on cold start afterward but it could be placebo effect.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The corrosion areas on the G1 Insight mostly seem to be in the pieces made of steel, located on the bottom where they are exposed to salt. Underbody bolts, fuel lines, etc. The body is aluminum and plastic.
Aluminum doesn't rust, but it can corrode.

Unfortunately on my driver's seat, one bolt is not on due to snapping and some of the mount on the body has corroded. Going to ask a friend that can TIG weld to fix it in the warmer months.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Aluminum doesn't rust, but it can corrode.

Unfortunately on my driver's seat, one bolt is not on due to snapping and some of the mount on the body has corroded. Going to ask a friend that can TIG weld to fix it in the warmer months.
I had to drill and use an easy-out on on a rear driver's side seat bolt. It took multiple attempts and the application of heat with a propane torch. It was a few years ago, but as I recall I had to open access under the splash panel to watch that nothing caught fire. Now I try to coat the seat bolt threads with anti-sieze.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Regarding jeffffej valve clearances - interesting comparison to my valve clearances a couple of weeks ago where the intakes were too tight but exhaust measured within spec.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,169 Posts
Although I don’t purposefully look for opportunities to drive in bad weather, and actually try to avoid same wherever possible, I am curious how the Nordman 7s will perform in adverse conditions.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
31 degrees F here today, first real drive after valve adjustment, cold cold start, I honestly believe the engine is ticking less now!!!

Reactions: CITRUS 95060

·
Registered
333 Posts
Insight miracle... I stopped at the gas station to air up my tires and ALL FOUR VALVE STEMS were visible without rolling the car forward or back. Good thing too, 'cause it was 16F and breezy here in La Crosse, WI today.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt

The tires were all holding pretty good pressure except the right rear, which needed 5psi. These Nexens have been decent all-season tires. They'll handle any snow that I'm willing to drive the Insight in (which is less than 4").

- Park

·
Registered
255 Posts
Insight miracle... I stopped at the gas station to air up my tires and ALL FOUR VALVE STEMS were visible without rolling the car forward or back. Good thing too, 'cause it was 16F and breezy here in La Crosse, WI today.

View attachment 94071

The tires were all holding pretty good pressure except the right rear, which needed 5psi. These Nexens have been decent all-season tires. They'll handle any snow that I'm willing to drive the Insight in (which is less than 4").

- Park
Sounds like intervention from above. Really, how often does that happen? I am usually happy if even one rear valve stem is visible.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Sounds like intervention from above. Really, how often does that happen? I am usually happy if even one rear valve stem is visible.
I have a garage and a short, downward sloping driveway into an alley. I push my car backwards by hand out of its garage parking space to get the valve stems out from under the skirts. One of these days I'm going to overdo it and the car will roll across the alley into my neighbor's fence. Hopefully it will not also run over my foot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's a genuinely good day whenever this happens!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Rare photo op when they’re both in the driveway. At last, another car in the family with fender skirts!

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Left is my son’s 1953 Kaiser daily driver, with less than 35,000 miles. Right is my 2000 Insight daily with over 286,000 miles. Bonus: his car is waaayyy slower than my Insight (like 20 seconds 0-60)!

- Park

5041 - 5060 of 5073 Posts