Honda Insight Forum banner
5061 - 5073 of 5073 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Rare photo op when they’re both in the driveway. At last, another car in the family with fender skirts!

View attachment 94097

Left is my son’s 1953 Kaiser daily driver, with less than 35,000 miles. Right is my 2000 Insight daily with over 286,000 miles. Bonus: his car is waaayyy slower than my Insight (like 20 seconds 0-60)!

- Park
1953 with less than 35,000 miles is quite amazing. The evolution of automobile design over approximately 50 years is also quite am
azing. Glad Honda designers were allowed the latitude to incorporate the fender skirts -a design element commonly seen in the 1950's.

·
Registered
333 Posts
1953 with less than 35,000 miles is quite amazing. The evolution of automobile design over approximately 50 years is also quite amazing
Way off topic, except that the Kaiser is a car. Read on if you're curious...

As far as we can tell, one older guy owned and loved it as his parade and show car from the '80s on. When he died it sat in the garage for years, and his wife finally traded it to a contractor in exchange for home repairs. We bought it from the contractor. Zero rust. The brake backing plates still have the factory paint! The interior is original and amazing - Kaiser was one of the first companies to hire interior designers. And, padded safety dash! Whoo!

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

When we went to look at it, the car started on the 6v system in 0F Wisconsin weather. That's a keeper, there.

Vehicle Car Land vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

It has a number of issues from sitting so long that we are slowly debugging. We replaced all the brake cylinders and flushed some truly heinous sludge out of the brake lines. The original Hydramatic automatic is insanely aggressive at upshifting (4th gear by 15mph), but these are simple-ish to adjust. A couple of fuel line leaks we've patched. The usual "been sitting" gremlins.

Here's what I find amazing. This car is huge, darn near 18' long. It will seat 6 large people in comfort and 8 skinny people if they are cozy. And yet it weighs (3100lbs) less than twice as much more than my Insight (1800lbs). Granted, Kaiser did have a fairly innovative and light-weight body on frame construction. But it mostly goes to show how much weight is added to modern cars by electronics, emissions, and safety systems. Which I'm totally in favor of, of course.

Quick story on the continental kit. Kaiser had a tendency to overproduce, which is why they quit the car market by '55 (though they lingered on as Kaiser-Willys making Jeeps). This car is almost certainly a '52 based on certain features like the exposed trunk hinges. But when they head leftover inventory, they'd slap a continental kit on the cars and sell them as special models the next year. Yes, the car actually has two spare tires, one in the trunk and one on the bumper, and both really old.

- Park

·
Registered
255 Posts
Way off topic, except that the Kaiser is a car. Read on if you're curious...

As far as we can tell, one older guy owned and loved it as his parade and show car from the '80s on. When he died it sat in the garage for years, and his wife finally traded it to a contractor in exchange for home repairs. We bought it from the contractor. Zero rust. The brake backing plates still have the factory paint! The interior is original and amazing - Kaiser was one of the first companies to hire interior designers. And, padded safety dash! Whoo!

View attachment 94100

When we went to look at it, the car started on the 6v system in 0F Wisconsin weather. That's a keeper, there.

View attachment 94101

It has a number of issues from sitting so long that we are slowly debugging. We replaced all the brake cylinders and flushed some truly heinous sludge out of the brake lines. The original Hydramatic automatic is insanely aggressive at upshifting (4th gear by 15mph), but these are simple-ish to adjust. A couple of fuel line leaks we've patched. The usual "been sitting" gremlins.

Here's what I find amazing. This car is huge, darn near 18' long. It will seat 6 large people in comfort and 8 skinny people if they are cozy. And yet it weighs (3100lbs) less than twice as much more than my Insight (1800lbs). Granted, Kaiser did have a fairly innovative and light-weight body on frame construction. But it mostly goes to show how much weight is added to modern cars by electronics, emissions, and safety systems. Which I'm totally in favor of, of course.

Quick story on the continental kit. Kaiser had a tendency to overproduce, which is why they quit the car market by '55 (though they lingered on as Kaiser-Willys making Jeeps). This car is almost certainly a '52 based on certain features like the exposed trunk hinges. But when they head leftover inventory, they'd slap a continental kit on the cars and sell them as special models the next year. Yes, the car actually has two spare tires, one in the trunk and one on the bumper, and both really old.

- Park
Great find and cool history. It makes me wonder what stories will develop of garage find G1 Insights 50yrs from now. Thanks for sharing this story.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got a fuel line kit in from FineLines as preventative maintenance. Final stretches of fixing up this project, which has unfortunately been slow goings due to work. Fiancé and I are getting boosters tomorrow. Depending on how we feel we'll see about working on the Insight.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,169 Posts
I felt like crap for 1.5 days after booster (Pfizer), but I have a few decades on you.

Does that mean brake lines are all done?

Are you going to do the clutch and 2nd gear synchro and input shaft bearing?

I can’t wait to read about the maiden voyage and your driving impressions.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I tried my new unstudded Nokian Nordman 7 155/80R13 tires on snow yesterday. They work very well on snowpack, about as good as the Blizzaks did when they were new. MUCH better than all season tires.

On pavement, they definitely have a slower turn-in performance than the stock RE92s. It is pretty noticeable, and they do tramline on a grooved surface. But the nice thing is they are marked for 47 PSI maximum pressure, and my policy is to run my tires at the maximum permitted by the sidewall marking.

Every wheel required a balance weight, which is a bit surprising.

5061 - 5073 of 5073 Posts