Honda Insight Forum banner
5341 - 5360 of 5402 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
This car isn’t your local beater car.

it’s so unique that it deserves new parts especially since many Honda dealers have online parts sites with 33% off new parts which makes it competitive with aftermarket parts.

This how I was able to afford to fix this car since the beginning of the new millennium.

Reactions: Saxjonz

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,161 Posts
I wasn't trying to disparage this model, but rather the far from new car that resides in my driveway. I have a long road ahead of me to bring it up to concourse quality, and I'm not sure that's even my goal. I've had 6 of these cars, all of them nicer than this one, but that's alright.

Here's what the pedals looked like before I found some replacements. (well, the center pedal anyway)
Bicycle handlebar Electrical wiring Road surface Bicycle tire Asphalt

I've got a low mileage motor in the garage, low mileage transmission, all new stickers, full suspension (zero rust), and just about every part I need to keep it on the road. Just wrapped up the Lithium, moving onto the body work next!

·
Registered
202 Posts

it’s so unique that it deserves new parts especially since many Honda dealers have online parts sites with 33% off new parts which makes it competitive with aftermarket parts.

This how I was able to afford to fix this car since the beginning of the new millennium.
Just because it is an Insight, doesnt mean it should see high class treatment.

My 2001 is old enough to drink, and looks like its been drunk its whole life, given the smell and condition.

Perhaps when it is my only project car, will I attempt to bring it to super clean and refreshed status.

For now, it is a daily driver that gets good gas mileage, and has automatic speed limiting via A/C cooling operations lol

Somehow, the car still smells like the previous owner's asshole, even though I have attempted quite a few cleanings with citrus based products. Ozone helped a lot, but I think the ultimate fix is getting rid of the carpet and headliner, and replacing both. I already have a neat blue and tan flannel pattern to match the blue of the car for the headliner, and I think I will end up just making my own carpet with something nice from an online source.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just because it is an Insight, doesnt mean it should see high class treatment.

My 2001 is old enough to drink, and looks like its been drunk its whole life, given the smell and condition.

Perhaps when it is my only project car, will I attempt to bring it to super clean and refreshed status.

For now, it is a daily driver that gets good gas mileage, and has automatic speed limiting via A/C cooling operations lol

Somehow, the car still smells like the previous owner's asshole, even though I have attempted quite a few cleanings with citrus based products. Ozone helped a lot, but I think the ultimate fix is getting rid of the carpet and headliner, and replacing both. I already have a neat blue and tan flannel pattern to match the blue of the car for the headliner, and I think I will end up just making my own carpet with something nice from an online source.
Both the carpet and the headliner are fairly easy to remove and wash, but you need a good bit of warm weather ahead to dry them.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,304 Posts

Lots of work last week. Main item was replacing both front struts. (I already have Scott's springs up front.) Look at the bump stop on the old one vs the new one. 215K miles wore off over an inch of the bump stops.

I was preparing for a 2000+ mile round-trip so I did a lot of stuff.
  • New cabin air filter
  • New front struts, bump stops, and tie rod end boots
  • Changed the oil
  • Rotated tires front-to-back

The new struts make the car feel WAY better and replacing them got rid of an annoying clunking sound I was hearing up front when I would go over bumps. I'm really glad I got the old ones swapped for new.

This is one of the new tie rod boots with new grease in it. The old ones were smashed and had lost most of their grease. I'm glad Scott suggested I take care of that while the struts were out of the car.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,370 Posts
Natalya, One of my front struts was completely collapsed when I replaced it recently. I pushed it all the way down when I removed it. I am pretty sure it has not yet rebounded. You’ll be pleased with the improvement. Wise to tackle it before a long road trip.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Have you washed the seat fabric yet?
Lightly. I used that "tuff stuff" foaming cleaner, let it soak, covered it again, and used a pressure washer on a low pressure, wide angle nozzle. It brought the coloring back nearly to normal, but it is stained, likely from someone working in a greasy job.

As a mechanic, I put seat covers in everything to help rpevent this stuff.

That, and there was literally 3 inches of dirt and grime in the back when I first got the car, so it had been left to rainy weather at least once or twice and left to rott in the sun.

·
Registered
2000 Silverstone G1- 200k miles
208 Posts

Lots of work last week. Main item was replacing both front struts. (I already have Scott's springs up front.) Look at the bump stop on the old one vs the new one. 215K miles wore off over an inch of the bump stops.

I was preparing for a 2000+ mile round-trip so I did a lot of stuff.
  • New cabin air filter
  • New front struts, bump stops, and tie rod end boots
  • Changed the oil
  • Rotated tires front-to-back

The new struts make the car feel WAY better and replacing them got rid of an annoying clunking sound I was hearing up front when I would go over bumps. I'm really glad I got the old ones swapped for new.

This is one of the new tie rod boots with new grease in it. The old ones were smashed and had lost most of their grease. I'm glad Scott suggested I take care of that while the struts were out of the car.
Oof, I had clunking in a McPherson strut before, not pretty. It came out blown apart and chewed through my front passenger tire while it was still in the car.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Gas Auto part

·
Registered
251 Posts
Inventoried on a spreadsheet, all the Insight parts I have collected.

I usually ordered online and often grabbed 10 pack bags of a particular bolt, screw, fastener. Some hardware fits my 2020 Accord.

It's all in a Honda box. I figure when the car goes, the gift box goes with it.

Got a little pack of 7th Gen Civic parts to go. PM me.

I’ll be counting S3Y in my sleep.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I had a few diagnostic codes I needed help with. Mudder requested that I flash the blink codes. I had to replace my IMA light and CEL since they had cough burned out. I decided to add in series a double pole switch. That way they are available if I need to blink the codes again. Also in the future I can keep the switch on to let me know if I have a problem. I can then turn them right back off so I don't have to look at them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This was all yesterday.

I was driving past some construction on I-95 outside of Philadelphia and noticed a splat of something on my windshield. I used the washer fluid followed by a quick wipe and didn't think of it since. Got home and noticed on the front of my car looked like I went off-roading. I was up for over 20 hours at this point and it was almost 5am. Told myself I'll clean it up after I wake up hoping I don't regret not immediately cleaning off what potentially could be cement mix.

It cleaned up well thankfully.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Spoke with a fellow G1 Insighter in Colorado Springs. Not many still rolling here.

Changed out my snow tires for summer RE-92s. They're looking pretty worn, good for one more summer I guess. Maybe should start the OEM tire search soon?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Spoke with a fellow G1 Insighter in Colorado Springs. Not many still rolling here.

Changed out my snow tires for summer RE-92s. They're looking pretty worn, good for one more summer I guess. Maybe should start the OEM tire search soon?
I just got fresh RE92’s. Well, 1yr olds. I inquired last year and the junior clerk must’ve ordered them. Got an extra deal over the Firestone store & coupon. The tread depth is deeper on tires at the tire brand dealer. Car dealers get cheaper versions.

·
Linsight Designer
3,482 Posts
Parden my southern ignorance, but how does one go about "changing out snow tires"? Do you just keep two sets of rims with summer/winter tires on them? Or do tire shops up north just constantly switch from one tire to the other (on the same rim)? Here in the south most tire shops won't put used tires back onto a rim, so I suspect you just have multiple sets of rims?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Parden my southern ignorance, but how does one go about "changing out snow tires"? Do you just keep two sets of rims with summer/winter tires on them? Or do tire shops up north just constantly switch from one tire to the other (on the same rim)? Here in the south most tire shops won't put used tires back onto a rim, so I suspect you just have multiple sets of rims?
Used tire shops all over the place will mount used tires. Got a nice RE92 that way while on the road. According to this site, "most Canadians" use the same rims: Should I Get Rims for My Winter Tires? | Park Muffler Sherwood Park

5341 - 5360 of 5402 Posts