Honda Insight Forum banner
5401 - 5420 of 5471 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Took mine out to my favorite local ice cream place yesterday after spending all day in the heat at Radwood: an '80s/90s car show that was hosted in Philadelphia.

Woke up this morning at 6am to wash it an hour later in preparation for cars and coffee. Went to a friend's house then we drove over.

The Insight gets plenty of attention there compared to my Miata.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,441 Posts
Came back to the school parking lot where I had parked to referee two youth soccer games (both H.S. aged boys) to find the driver side front tire flat — but it was only flat on one side. Changed the tire in 90+ degree heat and drove to the Firestone place that did my alignment the day before to patch the tire so I could drive to my next two games.

In the morning, I had installed a dash cam, which seems to function well enough.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not so much today, but I got tired to slowly rolling on the miles when I want to get this thing to half a mil, so I changed my oil and set off on a 4000+ mile road trip a week ago. So far I've been to NYC, Phillly, DC, Charleston SC, Atlanta, Chattanooga, TN, Opp, AL, Destin, FL, and I'm back in Chattanooga. Headed out in the next day for Memphis and then I head back to Vermont via Indianapolis and Niagara Falls. We aren't going to talk about my fuel economy through all of this.

Last night I got tired of the dragging brakes and spent about two hours unsticking the pins on the brakes. Unsurprisingly, it got a good deal quicker after that, I imagine the range would be better if I would lay off the gas and go slower than 85.

Currently sitting just shy of 459k on the clock. If I do this trip 10 more times, I'll hit my goal and be able to rip out the engine and do an EV conversion...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I'll hit my goal and be able to rip out the engine and do an EV conversion...
Awesome on the road tripping! Doesn't the IMA feel healthier after one of those long ones?

Instead of ripping out the engine, why not put electric in the back or come up with an interesting multi-pancake-motor-multi-clutch setup and keep it in place as a range extender for those long road trips?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Who gets excited to have an IMA error in the car they are trying to get inspected? Me!
Communication Device Gadget Electronic device Electric blue Font

Time to take my "reference pack" off of its five month discharge (yes, I've been discharging it for five months!), put it on a two-week 12mA pre-charge (thank you @eq1), then fill it up and drop it in. Time to see whether my six month conditioning regime cuts the mustard.

Attachments

·
Registered
Red 2000 MT
59 Posts
I'll hit my goal and be able to rip out the engine and do an EV conversion...
There was a partially complete but rolling EV conversion for sale in central Massachusetts. It was still available as of February, and was a really great deal, but I don't have time for another big project.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Instead of ripping out the engine, why not put electric in the back or come up with an interesting multi-pancake-motor-multi-clutch setup and keep it in place as a range extender for those long road trips?
There's a certain value to KISS. Anyway, if I have the engine sitting around, I can repurpose it for another stupid project...
There was a partially complete but rolling EV conversion for sale in central Massachusetts.
I remember seeing that, however it's not the direction I'm aiming to go. My goal is to "simply" shoehorn a Chevy Bolt into the Insight chassis and hope for the best. Should be a pretty damn zippy car when I'm done with a pretty solid range.

After seeing the MPGs drop to the high 30's (CVT) on this leg of the trip, I'm starting to genuinely worry about the health of the car. In the morning I'm going around and checking tire pressures to get the low hanging fruit out of the way, and hopefully I find something off. Otherwise, I was seeing 46 mpg when I left Vermont and in less than two weeks it's dropped to 39. This doesn't bode well for completing this trip. Oh well, maybe I'll just get to do my EV conversion that much sooner.

·
Registered
784 Posts
After seeing the MPGs drop to the high 30's (CVT) on this leg of the trip, I'm starting to genuinely worry about the health of the car...."
Keep in mind that your half-a-million goal, while laudable, is arbitrary. I owned an Accord that I was bound and determined to drive to the moon and back (about a half a million miles). At about 400-thou I hit a "sweet" spot where everything started going at once: tires, exhaust, suspension, pads, rotors, and I had to abandon ship. Now, I say "I nearly made it to the moon and back."

Please don't sacrifice your well-being for an arbitrary goal.

·
Registered
2000 MT
195 Posts
Dragging brakes and low tire pressure could easily account for most if not all of the mpg hit you are seeing. Don't give up if you really want to hit the number and you are willing to get through most of the work yourself!

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
This isn't really something I did to my car. I don't think it's worth starting a thread over and I really wanted to share it. I pulled over to the curb to drop off a delivery. As soon as the car went into Auto stop I heard a strange buzzing sound. Oh man, what's wrong with my car now. I get out to run the delivery to the door. There's a kid on a bike with a plastic water bottle stuck in his forks. This was filming when I got back in the car. It's not quite the way I heard the sound but close. Video didn't pick the sound up very well. You'll have to turn it up and lean in close to hear it
I'm glad the car was just fine. I also got to relive an old childhood memory. I preferred the sound of a Coke can though.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,042 Posts
A playing card clipped to the spokes was the trend back in my youth.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Reactions: 1036Project

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I never tried the playing card in the spokes. I've only seen that one in a movie. My dad showed me the balloon trick. I found out about the Coke can by accident. Saw one in the street and just had to run it over. It was my favorite cuz it was the loudest. But it put quite a bit of drag on the bike.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I found out about the Coke can by accident. Saw one in the street and just had to run it over. It was my favorite cuz it was the loudest. But it put quite a bit of drag on the bike.
I never saw the Coke can trick before.
For Old People Like Me, here's a vid-joe: Make a bike sound like a dirtbike/motorcycle - YouTube
It works great and I can imagine a whole bunch of kids aggravating a neighborhood.

For You Kids... Old People Like Me had no pop/soda cans when we were youngsters. Only returnable and then re-used glass bottles. A reward of 2-cents each upon return to the store. Enough for 2 (yes two) pieces of Bazooka (with comic included)! Six of them could get you a Snickers and a piece of bubble gum. So... we used to scrounge the bottles out of ditches and garbage cans for the dough.

5401 - 5420 of 5471 Posts