Honda Insight Forum banner
5461 - 5480 of 5648 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
@Fly3cyl:
Got an wheel alignment and installed the silver spat that came in the hatch of my red insight.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle
Until then, Rust-Oleum 7762 Sunrise Red UPC 0-20066-77628-2. Sand first with around 1000-1600 (much lower may leave visible scratches), no need to take off the silver paint. Prime with etching primer like Duplicolor UPC 0-26916-94690-4.

Bottle Liquid Drinkware Fluid Drink

Do NOT use "automotive primer" which I found remained soft and contributed to failure of a second coat of sunrise red.

Most important: Do not spray or dry if humidity is above 50%; subsequent coats will cause underlying coats to fail like cracks in a dry lake bed, and you will have to sand off ALL layers or the cracks will be faintly visible even if they seemed gone after a partial sanding. Don't ask how I know this.

I used a dehumidifier to make a paint booth at 35% RH that worked well. But you should not be in the booth when painting (use gloves through the walls and a plexi window) lest you poison or suffocate yourself.

Below is what the spat looks like three (or is it almost four?) years later.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

This paint is not perfect. It won't feather with the factory paint.

And unlike the factory red, it will retain dirt and oxidize and need buffing. But after years in the sun I am satisfied. The roof was painted and the molding is original.

Most people looking at the car do not notice the paint unless I point it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Nice job!
And the black line around the spat helps your eyes not see any differences so much. The hard ones are in the middle or on the edge of a field with no break between. Yikes!

·
Registered
70 Posts
That looks good. What's the offset on those?
Thank you. 15x7 +41 is the specs.

I’m surprised they fit the way they do. I’ve talked to a few Insight owners who have run 15x7 +35 wheels with no issue. But these are further inset and are on the hairy edge of not fitting. Wheel covers have hardly any clearance. No idea how people run +35 7 in wheels on this car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
BURN THE WITCH! HERESY!!!!

Real talk though, I love those wheels. I had RPF-1's on my Miata. I also love those tires. I have a set on my Volvo and they are about the best handling tires I have ever had.

[Edit]: About your IMA pack, it was probably on its last legs anyway and barely holding on, and adding the extra strain from wider/stickier tires just sent it over the edge.
Lol, thanks man. RPF-1s go great on almost any car, but especially a Honda.

Tires also surprised me for how cheap they are. They grip quite well. I’ll sacrifice MPG for the fun factor. I do plan on conducting “scientific” testing to see just how much MPG this setup eats up though.

Pack was definitely on its way out. Past 2 months I’ve been driving the car daily for my internship. SoC would drop like a rock in an 18 minute commute. I knew it was coming. Code 77. It’s just part of the ownership experience.

·
Registered
2000 Insight 5MT
52 Posts
I know a lot of you are going to hate this.
15x7 Enkei RPF1s put on the car. Hankook Ventus V2 195/50R15.
Averaging over 50 mixed city and highway still with an IMA battery that just **** itself. Really fun coincidence for that to happen right after buying totally unnecessary wheels, lol.
In this spec, RPF1s are 1.5 lbs lighter than stock, so that may have a factor in the fuel economy.
I plan on eventually getting RE92s on the stock wheels and swapping them out as needed.
View attachment 97347
Damn, I'm getting 50 on eco tires with a functional IMA and freshly installed underbody aero. My car is clearly broken lol.

·
Registered
2000 Silverstone G1- 200k miles
285 Posts
Damn, I'm getting 50 on eco tires with a functional IMA and freshly installed underbody aero. My car is clearly broken lol.
Very likely you're not going into lean burn for whatever reason. Have you cleaned the EGR valve and plate passages? You might also need to feather off the gas, let the MPG meter get to 75-100 and lean burn a bit. 2000-3000 rpm, 50-60mph.

Also could be AC. Does the car idle at a stop light? Stop and go traffic?

·
Registered
2000 Insight 5MT
52 Posts
Very likely you're not going into lean burn for whatever reason. Have you cleaned the EGR valve and plate passages? You might also need to feather off the gas, let the MPG meter get to 75-100 and lean burn a bit. 2000-3000 rpm, 50-60mph.

Also could be AC. Does the car idle at a stop light? Stop and go traffic?
Well, maybe not broken. 75mph highways in 100+ degree heat with the AC on isn't super conducive to efficiency with these cars.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I checked the oil near the end of a 600+ mile trip to find the dipstick completely dry. I should maybe check that more often. I should probably also replace the timing chain tensioner filter and hope that fixes the oil leak.
Instead, I'll probably continue to pretend oil is optional like the monster that I am.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Check your PCV on the valvecover. Pop it out after removing the hose and shake it. If it does not rattle, the checkvalve is stuck and likely pulling oil directly into the intake manifold.

These engines make vacuum all across the rev range, so the crankcase ventilation is always full of oil.

I run an oil catch can, and I can fill about 4oz of oil in under 500 miles.

Reactions: minor4326

·
Registered
134 Posts
PCV Checks out fine, but I cleaned it out anyway. I'm relatively certain that it's the timing chain tensioner filter, as the entire back of the engine is covered in oil starting at the tensioner, and I looked at the gasket itself and it's cracked in multiple places... So... I spent the too much money to get one sent my way.

Never going to actually install it, though, because I clearly hate my engine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
... Decided to treat myself to a car wash...
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Automotive tire Purple Automotive design Textile Tire

And then it was a terrible car wash to boot.

Trying to decide if I model those clip mounts, print them, and glue new ones on, or if I buy a good part as I have enough vinyl to wrap another one.

Edit: Made some rough models of the parts that broke in a way that I think is slightly improved:
Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Parallel Auto part

The part in the center would need to be carved to fit the curve and doesn't line up with the original footprint, but I think this design should be more robust.
Looking closer, I think the other two parts might not be the same throughout the panel, so those might have to be adjusted so you can trim to fit as well...

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
... Decided to treat myself to a car wash...
View attachment 97386
View attachment 97387

And then it was a terrible car wash to boot.

Trying to decide if I model those clip mounts, print them, and glue new ones on, or if I buy a good part as I have enough vinyl to wrap another one.

Edit: Made some rough models of the parts that broke in a way that I think is slightly improved:
View attachment 97388
The part in the center would need to be carved to fit the curve and doesn't line up with the original footprint, but I think this design should be more robust.
Looking closer, I think the other two parts might not be the same throughout the panel, so those might have to be adjusted so you can trim to fit as well...
I love that color so much.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Check your PCV on the valvecover. Pop it out after removing the hose and shake it. If it does not rattle, the checkvalve is stuck and likely pulling oil directly into the intake manifold.

These engines make vacuum all across the rev range, so the crankcase ventilation is always full of oil.

I run an oil catch can, and I can fill about 4oz of oil in under 500 miles.
Glad I'm not the only one that noticed this! Even on my boosted car it seems to get a lot of junk in the catch can in a short period of time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been wanting to send an oil sample to blackstone since I got the car, but I have the aforementioned oil leak problem preventing that.

I love that color so much.
Thanks, I love it too, but unfortunately between my poor install and the harsh weather out here, it's showing it's age. I should start looking into getting paint in that color.

·
Registered
2000 Silverstone G1- 200k miles
285 Posts
I've been wanting to send an oil sample to blackstone since I got the car, but I have the aforementioned oil leak problem preventing that.

Thanks, I love it too, but unfortunately between my poor install and the harsh weather out here, it's showing it's age. I should start looking into getting paint in that color.
How quickly are you going through oil? I've sent samples where I've had to add 3-4 quarts over 7-10k miles due to burning and oil leaks, mostly because the engines are abused to high hell and back.

5461 - 5480 of 5648 Posts