Honda Insight Forum banner
5541 - 5560 of 5646 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Silverstone G1- 200k miles
284 Posts
I plan on doing 70% ceramic on all of the windows (including windshield, might hold off on the tiny liftgate window). It's been a plan of mine but the windshield replacement needs to get done first after the rock chip fiasco.

Before Insight ownership, I was interested in lach's Insight considering he could drop it off at my parents' house then I could drive it back. His had the same tint - you can see it on the left door here.

View attachment 97851

Phantom Z3 did the same thing, but 40% on the door windows - What did you do to your G1 Insight today?
I'd recommend going to at least 50% on the sides and rear of you can I was afraid 40% was going to be too dark for night driving but it's no problem. On the windshield, I went with 70% so it still looked like it was clear (since windshield tint is illegal here) but still had alot more heat rejection over the 90%

Take a look at the IRER values for 3m crystalline:
Font Rectangle Electric blue Pattern Typesetting

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'd recommend going to at least 50% on the sides and rear of you can I was afraid 40% was going to be too dark for night driving but it's no problem. On the windshield, I went with 70% so it still looked like it was clear (since windshield tint is illegal here) but still had alot more heat rejection over the 90%
I'll consider it, but I'd need to see it in person instead of internet photos. I quite like the bubble look of 70%.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Should really post more often here. I've done the following since last post:
  1. Window tinting all round
  2. Refurbished the wheels, powder coated alloys and centres and new emblems
  3. 3D printed window switch to sort my broken switch out
  4. Repainted the front bumper myself - need to wet sand and buff to finish
  5. Refinished the headlights
  6. New DAB radio and powered antennae
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
View attachment 97964 View attachment 97965
Aquamarine 😍😍😍😍😍😍.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
I'll consider it, but I'd need to see it in person instead of internet photos. I quite like the bubble look of 70%.
(Please take this the right way)
What's your issue with running darker tint? I run 15-18% on my insights, as I put 5% on my CVT car and I regret it, can't see out at night. However with 15-18% I can still see good at night, and that includes backing up. You could also get 25% I suppose, but imo that's too light.

·
Registered
816 Posts
@NathanC
I do believe I speak for everyone here...
Pictures of the dust. We need som dust pictures!

I've been working in the Dust Fields
all the live long day.
I've been working in the Dust Fields
just to pass the time away.
Can't you hear us all a-chokin'
coughin' hackin' up our lungs?
Can't you hear the boss-man shouting
"we eat dust by the ton?"

·
Registered
2000 Silverstone G1- 200k miles
284 Posts
What's your issue with running darker tint? I run 15-18% on my insights, as I put 5% on my CVT car and I regret it, can't see out at night. However with 15-18% I can still see good at night, and that includes backing up. You could also get 25% I suppose, but imo that's too light.
Definitely personal preference. I had 20% in my convertible and it's way too dark at night. You can see headlights and street lights, but for me it kills visibility.

·
Registered
314 Posts
View attachment 97964 View attachment 97965
wow very clean looking. Cool color too (y) :D (y)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Literally a visual personal preference.

I have 20% on my Fit and don't have visibility issues.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
81 Posts
I re-soldered 2 of the 4 IMA Boost Box wires after experiencing intermittent "cutouts". Yellow and green becasue the grey plug was easier to get to. Basically from no assist to max assist or somewhere in between every few moments. Took it for a drive and filled up with a bottle of Techron & gas. So far it is stable but before the attempted fix sometimes it would work fine so could be a fluke. Sure feels good to have it working now.

The green wire solder joint looked pretty bad so I tested it out after fixing that particular one and I had already redone the yellow.

I've never really used fuel system cleaners aside from a couple of those random gas stations on the freeways that pump some with the gas. I rarely rev it out and do a lot of city trips so hopefully this will keep some carbon and whatever other crap at bay.
After a few days it's been working fine but this morning on my drive to work with low battery it started acting up again. I'll look at the other two wires on the blue plug and see what I can do. Might end up crimping them to avoid this headache. Hopefully it's still just a poor connection and not an issue with the device itself. These two wires are the ones I soldered the boost box onto the existing wiring harness by cutting away a section of insulation and soldering then to that to tap into and they might also not have been reliable.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,560 Posts
Got the good news.

About 10 days back commuting home I overheated, as in steam-from-under-the-hood overheated.

I shut down as soon as I saw the temp rising, but it did go into the red after engine shut down. At my mechanic’s since.

Today he called. Rusted hose clamp allowed a hose to pop off. He replaced same & coolant. Has been running for past hour without incident. I think I dodged a bullet. He asked me where he could get an Insight for himself. I told him I had an extra in my garage I’d sell him. We’ll see where that goes.

The extra is the ‘04 Navy Pearl I got from Nojunker in Western Mass. in January. Needs brake lines, a thorough de-mousing and an IMA revive, among other things.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,560 Posts
Could be nice for the local Insight community to have one being used as a daily driver by a very highly skilled local mechanic. I think our friends in the Los Angeles area may know how that can play out.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Could be nice for the local Insight community to have one being used as a daily driver by a very highly skilled local mechanic. I think our friends in the Los Angeles area may know how that can play out.
Invite him to the event in September! We can give him the lowdown on the various issues we face and, something he may be more interested in, all the cool mods.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
On yesterday's hot day, kiddo reported check engine and IMA lights. P0128, and two "your pack is shot - buy a new one" codes. Checked coolant level (correct level marked on a sticker) and live data; looked OK, but car has been idling poorly at autostop and IAT seemed high and did not change. Will check it out later, maybe log this data. Will swap pack with a conditioned pack and put it into the conditioning pipeline. Introduced kiddo to my friend "12V battery disconnect" and sent her on her way!

·
Registered
2001 Insight Manual
19 Posts
Swapped the K&N filter that was installed for a WIX. I've heard K&N may get you slightly better performance at the cost of worse filtering. I'll take longevity over 'horses.

Made some custom footwell and cargo area floor mats using "putting green" carpet, studded carpet protector, and spray adhesive. They turned out okay, and look better than my raggedy OEM mats.

5541 - 5560 of 5646 Posts