Honda Insight Forum banner
5701 - 5720 of 5740 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Silverstone G1- 200k miles
342 Posts
RTV failed for me. The bond was ephemeral. In gasket situations, the sealant is held in place with a compressive force over a large surface area.

Here, the interface between the sealant and the clip / body is unsupported; the sealant itself provides part of the structure. Without a true bond, it can delaminate and fail. I've seen this in previous attempts to address this on my car and on a window molding that an installer took a shortcut with and "secured" with windshield caulk. It separated easily when I removed the molding. I was lucky. We've had several posts where people are seeking new moldings because their old ones departed. I lost one that I thought was secure using non-latching clips, done because I needed the molding to be removable. The wind force at highway speeds, particularly in rain, is significant.

I'm trying to find something that is designed to make an actual bond with the nylon, because it is designed to and a bond with the paint for the same reason, and is strong enough to survive thousands of miles of vibration. This is a difficult ask.
Ahh I see, yeah if I had your experience I probably would go within adhesive like the 3M or epoxy. Often I have a lot of permatex black lying around from sealing up other stuff so I end up just slathering it on to anything else and it seems to work for whatever reason. With the moulding clips, I stuffed the foam seal with it and smooshed it out. Seems to have held up for the year or so I've had the car, but I definitely don't drive it enough (10k miles).

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,664 Posts
I changed the cabin air filter on Monty, but swapped it with a filter holder I had previously removed from Pearl. The foam insulation around the perimeters of both was well perished. After a little reading up on IC about what others had done for that, I found a reasonable solution at the local Lowes. The hardest part was removing the remnants of the old insulation involving some combination of rolling, peeling and scraping with fingernails. I removed the old glue residue with rubbing alcohol and affixed the Frost King 1.25 x 3/16” Camper Mounting Tape. The 1.25 width exactly matches the width of the filter frame. Installation in the dash is a little snug, but not in a way that should cause any concern. The insulation was about $7.00 for the roll and at 30’ I could do Balto’s entire fleet and have some left over. This would be an easy upgrade/ maintenance procedure for the fall maintenance meet up in Maryland. I am betting almost everyone’s car could use this if it hasn’t been done already. Photos below:
Purple Violet Font Material property Electric blue

Sky Cloud Water Blue World

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,236 Posts
Another candidate for the Lazarus name.
I think that's a fitting name, and yes, this car has been declared dead more than once. I bought this as a parts car from Gerald shortly after the 2016 Insight Fest in Indianapolis and robbed it of some straight parts (doors/hood/etc). I did get it running and sold it to a friend of NathanC's (forgot the buyers name, but he's on this message-board too) who had overheating issues, replaced the motor, and then had more issues. He sold it back to me a few years ago, but I haven't had time to do anything until the last few weeks.
Motor is in, here's the first run. I was surprised that it started so quickly on old fuel and lines that weren't primed. I didn't run it for very long, because I hadn't put any antifreeze in yet. (wanted to make sure this motor ran first)
Here's me burping the cooling system. While it was up on the lift, I was checking the brakes and everything went soft. Blew a line in the driver rear side, somewhere above the fuel tank. I ordered a repair kit from Amazon, so I guess I'll be fixing that next.

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
89 Posts
Scraped a curb pretty bad. Thought I was nowhere near it. Now my passwngert side skirt is pretty scratched up but it's not too bad. Scratched through to the plastic in a couple spots but not bad enough to warrent a replacement.

Thankfully that part is not aluminum.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Had the A/C Discharge and Suction hoses rebuilt at a local mom&pop custom hose shop. They make brakes lines from scratch, too.

The two A/C lines have rubber hoses crimped onto the hard pipes.

Expect to pay around $150 for an Evac and Recharge service and about $65 per hose. Plus refrigerant.

A/C Hose, Discharge - Honda (80315-S3Y-A01)
A/C Hose, Suction - Honda (80311-S3Y-A02)

Discharge O-Ring (1/2") HONDA 80872-SN7-003
Suction O-Ring (5/8") HONDA 80871-SN7-003

Also, dump n filled with Honda Blue coolant including block heater/drain plug.

Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I deleted the muffler from two of my cars. weigh 8 pounds.

the shorter you cut the pipe before the muffler the louder the car gets

The second car I cut a lot more of the pipe off. It’s only noticeable in first second third and fourth Fifth gear.

·
Registered
256 Posts
That engine needs the back pressure.

You lost the low end which is the purpose of the high compression sorta shaved head setup.

Now, your power curve has been moved to begin nearly 1000RPMs higher.

Would be interested in a dedicated thread, not here, to see results.

·
Registered
342 Posts
That engine needs the back pressure.

You lost the low end which is the purpose of the high compression sorta shaved head setup.

Now, your power curve has been moved to begin nearly 1000RPMs higher.

Would be interested in a dedicated thread, not here, to see results.
I think you meant scavenging, but that happens at the collector built into the head. You basically don't need anything after that including the catalytic converters. Engines don't need back pressure!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think you meant scavenging, but that happens at the collector built into the head. You basically don't need anything after that including the catalytic converters. Engines don't need back pressure!
You know, you have discovered something no one has done before. Like ever.

Straight pipe your insight and dyno test it for us.

Show us the dyno test results before and after.

inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You know, you have discovered something no one has done before. Like ever.

Straight pipe your insight and dyno test it for us.

Show us the dyno test results before and after.

inquiring minds want to know.

The idea of "back pressure" is old fuddery from when we used to run 5in exhausts on 400hp engines in the 70s thinking bigger is better. Then we realized smaller makes more power, so this concept of "back pressure" started. Nowadays, with computer aided modeling and simulation and videos, info and manufacturing processes that used to be exclusive to high end race cars and exotics trickled down to regular cars and people like us.

The insight's exhaust system only cares about reducing emissions. The collector being built into the head and the catalytic converters being as close as possible to the engine has to do with reducing cold start emissions as much as possible and keeping them warm during long periods of lean burn. If Honda wanted to increase low end torque, they'd make really long headers that would resonate around 2500rpm or whatever they have the intake tuned to. There's a reason why the intake runners on the insight are SUPER LONG. It helps air get into the engine at lower rpm.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I’ve got a manual Honda insight. Third gear to second gear there’s a problem with the grind. Until now.

what I’m doing I put the gear stick or lever like they would say in England.

While the car is rolling between 14 and 18 miles an hour.
With my foot off of the clutch. grab the gear stick lever put a little force on top of second gear. About as much force as it takes to put your finger on your nose and push in enough that it moves a little .

while there is still a small amount of pressure on top of second gear position then you clutch it.

A very high percentage of the time it goes in with no resistance. It does not work as well on first gear because I’m never going slow enough for it to work in first gear much but it does work in first gear if you are going slow enough.

that’s my late season corn and kale it’s a acquired move but easily incorporated into your driving habits after a little practice fore thought and of course those natural good looks that we all possess

Attachments

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Usually my mileage is over 100 mpg so I checked air pressure I had 2 very low tires. Things should be moving up in the future.

this is the car with the muffler removed. It doesn’t have a very smart person driving it either but that’s just how it goes

I love the smell of aluminum in the morning

mileage is from this morning after getting to work still at work right now

Attachments

5701 - 5720 of 5740 Posts