Honda Insight Forum banner
5801 - 5820 of 5899 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did quite a few things today. Took advantage of my only day off!

I cleaned up and installed some new aftermarket aluminum shifter cable bushings that are intended for some Civic but happily fit the Insight. That fixed my tight "left to right" shifting for a nice smooth and accurate shift with little play.

I also started playing with my multimeter and a few switches intended for a first generation CR-V that I had laying around. (See: username). Of those switches I have three cruise switches and one fog switch. They fit into the smaller knockouts perfectly to the driver's side of the steering wheel, just in a horizontal position.
I am working on the pinout of the connector regarding the activation light, backlight, and switch itself as well as how to manipulate them for an OEM look. I will be using one as a CALPOD switch hopefully and another for some other function I have not determined yet.
I would like to find a second generation CR-V seat heater switch, I believe that will fit the bigger knockout, considering it interchanges with the corresponding CR-V knockout. Pictures to come!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Naw just cover the cat it'll be fine.
Only issue is the rails the sheet mounts to are wood covered in alu tape due to me ordering the wrong size bit of alu after much painstaking and careful measurement, i tested a sample over the hob and it took about 1 min at the distance in the photo for flames to start coming from under the tape, Not really sure if that's fine or not, though i'm sure i've seen someone put correx on the whole underside without issues.
Black Tints and shades Automotive lighting Flash photography Space

Gas stove Kitchen appliance Kitchen stove Cooktop Stove

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,734 Posts
Oh don't use wood down there. Umm, the thing you photoed is the resonator not a catalytic converter. I used coroplast (maybe that's what correx is? basically cardboard except made of plastic... like for realtor or politician road signs) and I cut two notches where the lips from either of the ends of the resonator would touch the coroplast. I think the ends might be hotter than the centre of the resonator. The plastic didn't melt where it touches the centre. I didn't use spacer bars along the sides of that like channel where the exhaust goes I just screwed straight into the plastic of the OEM underbody panels. Just be careful not to hit any brake lines, gas lines, or the IMA power cables.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bought an $80 92-00 civic clutch master, slave, braided hose kit. It has a 90 degree fitting, makes each cylinder 3AN supporting for anything in the future, and allwoed me to rebuild the 03-05 civic hybrid clutch slave on my HCH transmission.

Bore, rod, and spring are identical, so the slave got the bore cleaned out and de-glazed with a small cylinder honing kit (stone bars).

Clutch master from a 92-00 civic works great with 3 modifications. Clutch rod needs 0.25 to 0.5 inches cut from the end. Insight clevis must be used (wider than civic). Abvoe the clutch master, you must cut away material to allow room for the line fitting. Can provide pictures at a later time if anyone wants them. Reservoir needs new line, so clear lawnmower stlye tubing, 1/4 I believe, works fine. Heck, we bleed brakes with it all the time, some of my hoses are 10+ years old and still working.

Car feels FAR better. Symptoms up to this point were leading to master slowly dying.

Found out the reason why. I previously made hte mods for the civic 92-00 clutch master, but failed HORRIBLY by not cutting the rod down. Basically the amster was always slightly pushed, forcing the lines and slave to constantly see pressure.

At same time, solved my random throttle responsiveness and stutterings. PCV was leaking at the valvecover.

92-00 civic PCV, 92-00 civic PCV grommet, and a little sealing tape, and all is well. Car feels much stronger overall, no more random mis-behavior has been noted.

This whole time I thought it was an exhaust leak between the O2 and head, but never could find one. Should have done a closer inspection on the crankcase venting system!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Plastic

Automotive lighting Gas Automotive fuel system Auto part Bumper

Clutch master from a 92-00 civic works great with 3 modifications. Clutch rod needs 0.25 to 0.5 inches cut from the end. Insight clevis must be used (wider than civic). Abvoe the clutch master, you must cut away material to allow room for the line fitting. Can provide pictures at a later time if anyone wants them. Reservoir needs new line, so clear lawnmower stlye tubing, 1/4 I believe, works fine. Heck, we bleed brakes with it all the time, some of my hoses are 10+ years old and still working.
They make a spacer used to fit a s2000 clutch master to a civic because of the rod length…. would running this spacer get away without having cut any paneling and probably not have to cut the rod too?

·
Registered
254 Posts
S2000 master is a no go. Built in reservoir, and no room for a spacer.

You have to re-use the Insight master mounting studs, since the civic ones are shorter.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yea definitely not the s2000 master but use the spacer on a civic master , would that allow you to not have to cut any metal from the firewall/body?
Should help. Just need to get longer mounting studs. Or use long bolts, and screw them in from the front, into the pedal direction. Little bit of fitment and re-cutting as needed.

I used half inch thick foam to sandwich against the firewall and seal against the elements from entering the pedal area.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Re-installed my skirts today, had to space the rear mounts out approx half an inch. With 1inch wheel spacers, the car feels fantastic, and with the skirts back on, doesnt look so naked.

I really gotta find the time to install Scott's belly pan he sold to me.

·
Registered
2001 Insight Manual
52 Posts
I put the OEM radio back in, and quite frankly find that it sounds better than the aftermarket radio that was in the car when I bought it.

Since I like the sound, I went ahead and bought this doodad which gives me bluetooth and aux when I press the TAPE/CD button. It works fine, but it seems there's a constant white noise in the background. I only notice it when I pause my music, so it's not a big deal. I'm not sure if that's a limitation of the CD port on the head unit or if it's caused by the adapter.

The instructions are some of the worst Chinenlish I've seen in a while lol.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,714 Posts
I finally replaced my air cleaner housing with a good used unit obtained from Scott Kulbeck.

The old one wouldn’t give me a tight seal. Since the attachment points for the wire clips rusted away.

Automotive tire Gesture Bumper Finger Thumb
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Wood Gas

5801 - 5820 of 5899 Posts