Honda Insight Forum banner
5821 - 5840 of 5899 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Guys gals help me escape my frugality and spend $650 to repaint my hood and bumper...then my car will be minty. Hard to justify since the car cost me less than that back in the day...but I love this little car it's doing me good and I'm thinking of giving it some love....
I vote yes. Long after the pain of spending the money is gone, the car will still look great. You don't seem like the type that would let a car go to crap, but if it looks good, you'll be even less inclined to do so.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,714 Posts
And being in the south, if you are going to paint, then you should get a nice ceramic, heat-rejecting window tint too. Hell, regular gas is at or over $4/gal in NJ. That paint job will pay for itself in your increased desire to drive that minty vehicle.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I vote yes. Long after the pain of spending the money is gone, the car will still look great. You don't seem like the type that would let a car go to crap, but if it looks good, you'll be even less inclined to do so.
And being in the south, if you are going to paint, then you should get a nice ceramic, heat-rejecting window tint too. Hell, regular gas is at or over $4/gal in NJ. That paint job will pay for itself in your increased desire to drive that minty vehicle.
Thanks you guys are the best. Yeah the car lives outside (due to limited garage space and Li precautions) but I keep her very very clean. Fresh paint on the two failing panels will do a lot. Gonna pursue this...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have a shallow dent in the right side, right at the door frame, where my brother in law backed his Audi A6 into me. Despite all the proximity detectors. Shop wants $2400 to fix. It's almost invisible unless you're looking for it, so I have been delaying now for a few years. $650 is more easily parted with. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,175 Posts
Guys gals help me escape my frugality and spend $650 to repaint my hood and bumper...then my car will be minty. Hard to justify since the car cost me less than that back in the day...but I love this little car it's doing me good and I'm thinking of giving it some love....
Frugality??? Naw man, what you have in a chronic case of the cheapness.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Frugality??? Naw man, what you have in a chronic case of the cheapness.
Cheap, frugal, wise, whatever the word is...

It's more about "what is necessary" vs. "what is beneficial" in this case juggling 6 cars and wants/repairs/dreams for each...plus I have an aquamarine in my sights so to spend $$$ on my dd might not be the best use of that money...but in the meantime I am trying to get a date with my paint/body guy....the question now is repair/paint just the hood ($400) or add in the bumper too (+$250) and heck why not the roof while I'm at it (+$300)....at some point there has to be a limit...

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
That's called the "Midas effect - might as well do this too" pretty soon you find yourself way deeper than you expected! :)

Reactions: CherryBomb

·
Registered
125 Posts
Cheap, frugal, wise, whatever the word is...

It's more about "what is necessary" vs. "what is beneficial" in this case juggling 6 cars and wants/repairs/dreams for each...plus I have an aquamarine in my sights so to spend $$$ on my dd might not be the best use of that money...but in the meantime I am trying to get a date with my paint/body guy....the question now is repair/paint just the hood ($400) or add in the bumper too (+$250) and heck why not the roof while I'm at it (+$300)....at some point there has to be a limit...
6 cars! Holy mackerel! I think I see your problem. Cull the herd and you'll have more $ to spend on the Insight. No matter what your other cars are, the Insight is the most deserving. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
To be fair, y'all are a little biased and Jeff has other fun cars aside from his Insight. My focus would be on the other cars too however I went hard with my Insight to get it out of the way - it is also my daily driver. I'm one expensive modification away from being done for a while.

I drove mine today for five minutes to the store after it sat for two days. On Tuesday and Wednesday, it covered 1600+ miles.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I found this neat 1024 x 100 display which arrived from China yesterday and is driven with an Adafruit display driver attached to a Raspberry Pi via HDMI. Took a while to find the proper xrandr timings but it is basically working. Backlight control is next.

Vendor responded to email with a datasheet!!!

The only downside is the Pi boot time. Just beginning to look into stuff like Rust bare metal on Raspberry Pi. No idea what support for HDMI graphics exists. Or, an adapter with an SPI interface that can talk to this RGB TFT interface (the RA8875 is 16 bits; this display is 24 bit RGB). Or find a microcontroller with Arduino control that can talk 24 bit RGB TTL. Anyone know?

<edit>maybe the Arduino Vidor 4000, which has a mini HDMI interface, is an interesting microprocessor alternative for advanced vehicle diagnostics?</edit>
Font Circuit component Cable Electric blue Electronic device

The goal here is an unobtrusive display for troubleshooting issues.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
A couple weeks ago I was first in line but forfeited a G1 in NC that ended up going to @100percentjake and is being well-loved. Was just too busy with an upcoming move to deal with it.

That said I had a couple of free hours free today and paid a debt to an old friend @xcdustin and had the chance to wrench on his citrus. We did front aero (new OEM parts OMG), springs, belly pan and cluster buttons. @KLR3CYL thanks for the parts and you're welcome for the referral, no commission needed!

I've recommended/sold/installed 5 sets of springs and 4 cluster buttons for people now in the last year or so...it's a 20 minute job and so worth it.

Fun times...

·
Registered
2001 Insight Manual
52 Posts
In anticipation of the 6-8" of snow we were expecting last night I put the winter tires on. We only got an inch or so, but these definitely feel better than the Potenzas on slippery surfaces.

I also "shaved" out the back of my front speaker covers with a dremel. The new Infinity speakers I put in were contacting the back of the speaker covers and caused a horrible buzzing at certain frequencies. 60-100Hz sounded like the speakers were blown.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I've recommended/sold/installed 5 sets of springs and 4 cluster buttons for people now in the last year or so...it's a 20 minute job and so worth it.
Oh my friend! ... please tell me there is a jack stand or wooden blocks or something else supporting the car that is out of view acting as a backup if that jack fails. We don't want to learn that your Insights are being sold by your estate! 😱
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Vehicle

We love reading your posts and watching your videos and want them to continue! :)

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
Oh my friend! ... please tell me there is a jack stand or wooden blocks or something else supporting the car that is out of view acting as a backup if that jack fails. We don't want to learn that your Insights are being sold by your estate! 😱
View attachment 100105
We love reading your posts and watching your videos and want them to continue! :)
I was about to grill them for the same thing, but if you look behind the jack, you can see the legs to a jack stand!

5821 - 5840 of 5899 Posts