Honda Insight Forum banner
5841 - 5860 of 5899 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
You are right! That's great. Well, I guess it never hurts to remind others to use multiple points of support!

View attachment 100107
No arguments here... Had a close friend of mine get killed by his 60 something caddy because he chose to trust just a jack... His BF found him several hours later.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Oh my friend! ... please tell me there is a jack stand or wooden blocks or something else supporting the car that is out of view acting as a backup if that jack fails. We don't want to learn that your Insights are being sold by your estate! 😱
View attachment 100105
We love reading your posts and watching your videos and want them to continue! :)
Thanks for the love! Yeah I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I do value my life....jack stands always under the car...usually I don't get under it if it's on the jack, I let it rest...in this case I wanted a little more height so I could put a second jack under the wheel which helps lining up the bolt for the rear springs...plus I was teaching the owner how to do the job...so I was trying to be extra legit...

I was about to grill them for the same thing, but if you look behind the jack, you can see the legs to a jack stand!
Dang man you are observant!

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Not today, but the past month (time has been limited)...

New 12V
New oil
New CVT fluid
New engine air filter
New cabin air filter.
Mudder's trunk latch fix
"New" RE22 (10 years old in storage and only about 1000 miles on them)
Installed "built-in" grid charger
Scott's rear springs
Broke the passenger window switch light pipe, but fixed the electrical switches.
Scott's bellypan
Scott's replacement cluster switches
3D printed passenger window switch (driver side).
Posted on CL.

To do:
Sell
Decrease vehicle hoarding count by 1. Will be down to only 7 hybrids.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You are right! That's great. Well, I guess it never hurts to remind others to use multiple points of support!

View attachment 100107
That's a weird place for the jack though, it's probably not on the jack point. I hope it was at least lifted using a jackpoint.

In this case I wanted a little more height so I could put a second jack under the wheel which helps lining up the bolt for the rear springs...
So wait you did jack it up on a non-jack point?! My brother put a hole through the bottom of his del sol that way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought my car a few months ago and I have been sorting a few things out. I have done the following:
1. Taken off all the plastic under the car and under the wings....lots of soil and a worm!
2. Replaced the front and rear brake pads and shoes.
3. Sorted all the lights including some new LEDs and a resistor in the high level brake lights.
4. Replaced some of the bulbs with LEDs and a LED compatible flasher unit.
5. Had the wheels Powder coated and the centres sprayed. Here in the North of Scotland diamond cutting and salted roads in the winter don't go.
6. Polished the headlamps.
7. fitted new number plates.
8. Put lots of sound deadening in the boot region.
9. Fixed the non-opening boot (trunk) by soldering new wires in as a bypass due to corrosion in the seatbelt area.
10. Fitted new screen washer pumps.
11. New horn.
12. New double din DAB radio with Android Auto.
13. Replaced the cigarette 12v socket with a USB one.
14. Fitted rear Sony speakers.
15. New spark plugs. Denso iridium not indexed ones as impossible to find.
16. Set tappet clearances.
17. Changed the oil in the engine and the gearbox.
18. Sourced (Stimie on here) a new tow bolt hole cover.
Just need to clean the ERG now and a few things and it's going to be a drive to work car. Look forward to saving a bit of money every week as petrol is much cheaper than diesel here and my other car is a diesel. Sorry for the duplicate
Car Vehicle Hood Light Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Trip computer

pics don't know how it happened.
Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Hood
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille Automotive side marker light
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire Automotive parking light
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Machine Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
That's a weird place for the jack though, it's probably not on the jack point. I hope it was at least lifted using a jackpoint.

So wait you did jack it up on a non-jack point?! My brother put a hole through the bottom of his del sol that way.
It's jacked at the jack point as the picture shows. The jack stands are placed under the car's suspension in case the jack itself fails again as the picture shows. Always jack a car at the jack point so you don't hurt the car or yourself.

·
Registered
2000 Insight 5MT
69 Posts
Computer Personal computer Automotive tire Automotive design Circuit component

Got my Linsight pack put together. Need to source a new temp sensor harness since mine was destroyed two years ago when I was a noob.

Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Found this thoroughly unpleasant situation in the car itself. Anyone have a good source for those a pillar trim clips? This leak may have progressed beyond the occasional airbag light annoyance.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,347 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,315 Posts
Found this thoroughly unpleasant situation in the car itself. Anyone have a good source for those a pillar trim clips? This leak may have progressed beyond the occasional airbag light annoyance.
I think you've got more going on than pillar trim clips, unless that's simply condensation dripping from the windshield. Check the headliner to see if you're leaking at the top of the windshield.

·
Registered
2001 Insight Manual
52 Posts
That is definitely a big "IF". I doubt my method is producing accurate results. It's my first time attempting a string alignment, so I'm positive it's not going to be very good, but close enough. For now at least, the car feels plenty stable through some spirited parking lot driving. In fact it feels more stable than before. Previously if I hit a bump mid-turn I could feel the rear end of the car "hop" to the outside of the turn. This is no longer present. Unfortunately I do not know if this is a result of fresh suspension or proper alignment specs. My bias is towards the former.
As a follow-up to this, I was able to get the car in for an alignment this week. The place I went to is considered "the" alignment place where I live, so I trust their work. Word-of-mouth and google reviews support what they do.

Unfortunately it seems they don't save the before measurements, as their machine requires them to go out of their way to do so. I asked how bad it was before in an attempt to gauge how good (or bad) my string method was. The response I got was "it was actually quite close". Also, they did use the proper setting of 0 degree toe.

So for what it's worth the string method is probably close enough until you can get it to a proper shop. Around here, most places are quoting month+ waits for alignments. I was on the list for 5 weeks.

All that being said, if your MPG isn't as good as you'd like, consider an alignment. MPG takes quite a hit if the alignment is off. With my winter wheels on my highway commute, I've gone from 48 to 58mpg. If you don't know when the car's had an alignment, or you've replaced suspension parts, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As a follow-up to this, I was able to get the car in for an alignment this week. The place I went to is considered "the" alignment place where I live, so I trust their work. Word-of-mouth and google reviews support what they do.

Unfortunately it seems they don't save the before measurements, as their machine requires them to go out of their way to do so. I asked how bad it was before in an attempt to gauge how good (or bad) my string method was. The response I got was "it was actually quite close". Also, they did use the proper setting of 0 degree toe.

So for what it's worth the string method is probably close enough until you can get it to a proper shop. Around here, most places are quoting month+ waits for alignments. I was on the list for 5 weeks.

All that being said, if your MPG isn't as good as you'd like, consider an alignment. MPG takes quite a hit if the alignment is off. With my winter wheels on my highway commute, I've gone from 48 to 58mpg. If you don't know when the car's had an alignment, or you've replaced suspension parts, I highly recommend it.
The first Lotus I rebuilt I did the suspension alignment myself before taking it to the trusted local place. I'd got it very close, which gave confidence in the technique. Their machine gives a before and after printout. BTW I use dental floss rather than string as it is very thin, smooth and strong. I would trust my own measurements done this way more than somewhere where I didn't know the operators had been trained properly and/or would give the job the time and care it needs. The floor/ramp also needs to be flat i.e. all four tyre contact patches in the same plane.

5841 - 5860 of 5899 Posts