Honda Insight Forum banner
5961 - 5980 of 6002 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Received a paper copy of the FSM and it came with a "Preliminary Electrical Troubleshooting Manual" as well. Fiancé and I went on a long 3-4 hour drive, very mountainous, Insight's battery held up pretty well, hope that it stays well.

· Registered
73 Posts
Not today but the past several days. Did a low and slow discharge and grid charge. Yesterday was the test run. Just haven't gotten around to upload the images. Really hoping to have Gerty ready for a road trip this late spring/early summer. 2000 miles both ways, 4000 total, from PA to NM.
Any maintenance items you guys personally recommend to be ready for an extremely long road trip? Still waiting for a warmish day to do water pump, radiator, and related hoses with a coolant flush.
Want to preemptively do stainless steel fuel lines, already have the kit. Also hoping to make stainless steel clutch lines. Have already done brake lines, rusted out cat, wheel bearing, and some other stuff.

Hope these images show up properly.

· Premium Member
361 Posts
Installed the hatch latch whirring fix on my red Insight. Thanks Jesse!

Reactions: mudder

· Registered
400 Posts
I finally installed the LED driving lights I bought at least a year ago.
A few years ago, I bought a pair of Hella Micro DE fog lights. They are saved for another car, but I'm itching to use them on my Insight. Been sitting in the box unused this entire time while I've been undecisive.

· Registered
5 Posts
Installed the kenwood ksc-sw11 subwoofer that I picked up for $65 on facebook marketplace. Easiest sub install I've done. It took about an hour to make all the connections, hooked up power to my head unit power and grounded to the parking brake screw. It was about another hour to wire loom and clean up the install and put back all the trim pieces. I thought about putting the sub under the passenger seat but It's been raining a lot recently. The carpet has been out since last week since it was getting musty from a leak.
Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Vehicle door Motor vehicle Gas

Car Motor vehicle Trunk Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive tire

Automotive tire White Hood Motor vehicle Light

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design

Grille Automotive tire Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

· Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I've been using a lighter/cheaper lawn mower battery for my 12V battery for around a decade. However, I've never done anything about the fact that the OEM battery hold-down bar doesn't fit these batteries. I finally solved that today with some cheap 6061 aluminum flat bar.

Does anybody know why the OEM holddown is painted? From what I can tell, it is aluminum (I put a magnet on an unpainted part of it and it was not magnetic) and the battery box is aluminum, also. Maybe there is something about lead-acid battery chemistry that necessitates that?

Before:
Circuit component Electrical wiring Computer hardware Passive circuit component Gas

After:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Auto part

· Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Thanks Bull Dog! You are correct I went out and looked at my little telescoping magnet. The magnet is gone from the end! :) I think I'm OK on the positive terminal. That protective cover on the terminal is the OEM cover and is much bigger than it needs to be since I long ago replaced the original terminals with smaller ring terminals that match the battery.

· Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,901 Posts
Swapped packs between Monte and Mickey. No improvement in Mickey — IMA light and starting directly from the back up starter.

Removed passenger seat and took off the bottom cover to launder. Seat back cover will be next. Drying the bottom now. I think it will clean up nicely.

To clean, I soaked the bottom in a five gallon bucket half full of hot water and laundry detergent for a few hours. Then soaked in the washing machine’s soak cycle. I then sprayed with a stain remover and scrubbed tough spots with a scrub brush, then through the regular wash cycle. Air drying right now.

· Super Moderator
5,863 Posts
It’s been sitting, right? Time for a grid charge.
Sam

· Registered
400 Posts
Took my pack out for the second time under my ownership. Hoping this will be the last time I’ll do this for a while.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Engineering

· Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,901 Posts
Code was 1644. Both packs relatively well charged. One that came out had recently been grid charged. I think it could be a wiring issue. Now I have to do electrical trouble shooting, not a strength of mine.

5961 - 5980 of 6002 Posts