Honda Insight Forum banner

What did you do to your G1 Insight today?

634534 Views 6001 Replies 490 Participants Last post by  julianachos
I'm shamelessly copying this idea for the thread from another car forum.

Reading this thread may help other members (new or old) remember to do some simple but forgotten maintenance, or inspire them to accomplish that long desired mod, or simply learn something new about their Insight.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

- Changed oil with Peak full synthetic oil.

- Changed cabin filter. It's helpful to clean leaf and other debris from the filter box with vacuum or air pressure.

- Replaced spark plugs. OF COURSE I had "A" plugs in there instead of the required "B" plugs. (Don't forget to use anti-seize compound on the new plug threads.)
Reactions: James91
5981 - 6000 of 6002 Posts

· Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,901 Posts
Put the studded snow tires on. Nokian Nordman 7s. Wow. Without the passenger seat in (washing the covers) and the glove box out for cabin filter swap, and radio code MIA due to recent office “clean up,” the cabin noise is astounding.

· Registered
2000 Honda Insight
652 Posts
Code was 1644. Both packs relatively well charged. One that came out had recently been grid charged. I think it could be a wiring issue. Now I have to do electrical trouble shooting, not a strength of mine.
I was getting the P1644 with my IMA-bypassed Insight. I fixed it by moving a ground. But recently had ECM issues that were probably related. Check the ground terminal on the cylinder head next to the MAP sensor. Mine was barely hanging on.

Reactions: minor4326 and Joule

· Registered
18 Posts

· Registered
2,358 Posts
Looked at data capture from this weekend. Shamelessly cross-posting from my thread where I'm sorting out my Citrus, simply because it is YALICT (yet another long InsightCentral thread) and I expect many are not interested. But if you happen to have any knowledge of timing, ignition, wavefronts, etc, please visit that thread where there are more examples like the one below. I need some schooling on what's happening inside the cylinder, because this isn't intuitive.

Below: around six revolutions at 6000 RPM, fully open throttle.

I linked to a couple of good articles about how knock sensors work at the end of the post linked above.

Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

· Registered
400 Posts
Drove mine to Richmond, VA, and back - about 500 miles with no issues with LiBCM. Actually made zooming through DC and NoVA seem effortless.

· Registered
400 Posts
While installing LiBCM, I noticed something didn't look right. My IMA inlet duct/shroud/intake plenum/whatever (#6 in diagram) was missing a seal (#12,) which caused a finger-sized gap in between the IMA enclosure and intake duct. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm curious if this was why my old NiMH setup was struggling even with A/C in the summer.

Motor vehicle Font Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

I grabbed some 1" thick black foam weatherstrip tape, cut it to size, and stuck it onto the IMA enclosure.

While I was in the area, I put on a piece of door edge guard on the casing because I installed my intake temperature sensor using a different method. I could've gotten away without doing this, but I already had the materials so why not? There was enough slack while the sensor was mounted. You can see the foam seal in these photos.

Gas Rim Auto part Electric blue Metal
Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Machine Auto part

I drove around for 45 minutes and noticed the LiBCM display was showing 15°C. Outside temp was around 34°F and I had the heat on auto (A/C off) and 73°F without re-circulating the air. I don't think the pack heated up that much before within 45 minutes, so I think this was worthwhile.

Edit: this is what the display was showing after 90 minutes.

Automotive lighting Bumper Measuring instrument Font Gas

· Registered
8 Posts
Tried to restart it after a 3 year hiatus in the covered barn. Disengaged the IMA. charged the 12V starter battery. Compensated for the frayed earth strap at the front with a jump lead between the two points. Turned the key to electrics. No dash lights come on. Headlights, indicators, side mirror motors work. Turn the ignition Engine turns, fuel is being pumped and can be smelled. But despite depressing the clutch on start, it does not come to life...

· Registered
2,358 Posts
6000th post in this thread!

About to drive test newly cleaned injectors!!! It seems to be idling smoother. I pulled the 12V to let the car develop a new fuel map - essential - and completed the idle learn procedure. Now to give it a whirl. A tip of the hat to Murphy!

Annnnd...

To early too tell, because it's still in the default fueling map, but it seems to be an improvement.

5981 - 6000 of 6002 Posts