Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My crappy truck is only 25.00 a month but my crappy Insight is 75.00 a month... The truck is worth atleast double, if not quadruple the car. What gives? Where do you guys like to get your car insurance from?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,990 Posts
Who is your Insurance carrier?
Are the coverages the same on each vehicle?
Where are you located?

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight, 5MT
121 Posts
My insight is higher than most of my cars too.. but i think its simply due to being my primary vehicle with highest annual mileage. Dunno

·
Registered
2000 Silverstone G1- 200k miles
208 Posts
Mine's high due to my age, but every time I shop around for insurance, progressive is the cheapest. Sometimes the renewal amount is inflated and I'll get a new quote which is lower than the renewal. I'm guessing if you're getting a quote again, they think you're also looking at competition.

At my age, $114 a month is what I'm paying now. Before I got the insight last year, my 96 BMW z3 was $120 a month, then when I tried adding the insight, they wanted double ($240 a month!!) so the BMW is under Hagerty for $550 a year since it's now the track/weekend/classic car.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,369 Posts
One thing I would recommend is always getting your insurance through a mutual - as opposed to stock - company. For those who may not know the difference, mutual insurers exist for the benefit of the policyholders whereas stock companies, like Allstate, for example, exist for the benefit of shareholders. The two have very different incentives when it comes to claims handling.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,990 Posts
Care to name the (policy holders) Insurance companys?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same coverage, well actually the truck had more liability... Statefarm, 98092. I get the impression its based on how squishy the car is vs. the truck('86 K30) but at the rates people are asking,,, in a couple years I will have paid for the car again. Hardly seems right.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,369 Posts
Responding to Willie — Generally, if it has “Mutual” in the name, that’s a pretty good indication that it is not a stock company. Just off the top, New Jersey Manufacturers is a mutual company as is, unsurprisingly, Liberty Mutual. I think USAA may be mutual, and GEICO as well. Can’t say as to Amica, State Farm, Farmers, Progressive, the General, but you could always call them, or any other insurer, and ask. Plus, there’s this thing called Google . . .

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,990 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 4 vehicles insured and road legal at the moment at approximate monthly rates:

A 2022 Forester $40
A 2017 Outback $35
A 2006 Suburban $20
A 2000 Honda Insight $40

I'm not sure what gives with the Honda.

I haven't had an accident or moving violation in 15 years.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Y'all pay crazy prices. I pay something around 22/mo for my insight. When I had my Volvo, 3 insights and Jeep on insurance I was paying 118/mo. The Volvo was the most expensive at something like 45/mo.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight, 5MT
121 Posts
This is an interesting opportunity, most of us have a crap ton of cars with an insight daily, and are old enough with clean records that we can actually compare rates. If i can spare some time, ill put down my info in a spreadsheet just like a stereotypical insight owner would do.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
AAA.

[Edit]: I also have basic liability on everything with exception to uninsured motorist. If I crash an insight, big whoop I'll find another or drive one of my other 5. I also have never been in an accident and never gotten a ticket either.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you can garage it, a 20 year old car can qualify for collector insurance. State Farm has it. Shop around.

Better coverage.

Reactions: litz2002
1 - 20 of 34 Posts