Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Used gabi.com to shop quotes from all the providers and ended up with a little over $1/day for insurance on my 2000 G1 and 1998 Z3. Down by about 30% from what I was paying with Geico.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Geico. I switched from State Farm that had similar but slightly higher rates.

State Farm wanted to nearly double when I purchased a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon and Geico was nearly the same as what State Farm was before the GT Wagon.

All vehicles have full coverage and a $500 deductible.
What other factors have contributed to your lower rate, do you think?

·
Linsight Designer
3,482 Posts
Through USAA, I pay $23.72/month per Insight for the following:
Comprehensive: Declined
Collision: Declined
Liability (Bodily): $500k
Liability (Property): $100k
Uninsured Motorist (Bodily): $200k
Uninsured Motorist (Property): $15k

37 year old male with zero accidents in the past 20 years... it's probably been two years since my last speeding ticket... which was not a fun experience because the officer arrested me because he thought I was committing not less than three firearms-related felonies. I was ultimately correct, but that didn't stop him from inconveniencing me for half a day. Fun facts:
-sawed off shotguns are legal if proper paperwork is filed
-short-barrel rifles are legal if proper paperwork is filed
-transporting sawed off shotguns and short-barrel rifles across state lines is legal if proper paperwork is filed
-transporting suppressors across state lines is legal, without filing paperwork
-unserialized title 1 firearms are legal to possess, manufacture, and transfer across state lines, without filing paperwork.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
USAA dropped me years ago, but I might be able to hit them up again. I had just gotten my license and then got in a major accident and I assume (it's been so long) that I was just too big of a liability.

·
Registered
2000 Insight
5 Posts
I shopped around the major companies, and progressive was the cheapest at the time. Checked with Costco (Connect by American Family Insurance) and was able to save probably $100/mo over progressive for 4 cars (seriously probably 40%). Specifically for the insight, it comes out to $196/6mo or $33/mo including comprehensive:

BODILY INJURY LIABILITY - $250,000 EACH PERSON, $500,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $100,000 EACH ACCIDENT
MEDICAL EXPENSE - EXCESS COVERAGE
$5,000 EACH PERSON
UNINSURED MOTORIST BODILY INJURY - $250,000 EACH PERSON, $500,000 EACH ACCIDENT
UNINSURED MOTORIST PROPERTY DAMAGE LIMIT $3,500
DEDUCTIBLES - COMPREHENSIVE $250
TOWING AND LABOR COSTS - $75 PER DISABLEMENT

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are not putting a lot of miles on your Insight, next time you shop around be sure to check Metromile.com. I pay $23/month base, plus 4 cents/mile. This trends downward as the car gets older. Coverage:
BODILY INJURY LIABILITY - $250,000 EACH PERSON, $500,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $100,000 EACH ACCIDENT
MEDICAL EXPENSE - EXCESS COVERAGE
No coverage
UNINSURED MOTORIST BODILY INJURY - $250,000 EACH PERSON, $500,000 EACH ACCIDENT
UNINSURED MOTORIST PROPERTY DAMAGE LIMIT $3,500
DEDUCTIBLE - COMPREHENSIVE $1,000
TOWING AND LABOR COSTS - No coverage

·
Registered
55 Posts
Geico. I switched from State Farm that had similar but slightly higher rates.

State Farm wanted to nearly double when I purchased a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon and Geico was nearly the same as what State Farm was before the GT Wagon.

All vehicles have full coverage and a $500 deductible.
So I'm with the guy above who only has liability. I have many cars so I'll never be without transport. I have cars, like one of my S2000's, that if it fell off a cliff I'd be sad however money won't bring it back.

Also, State Farm is in that 'mutual' classification. It is structured sorta-like a co-op or something. I have gotten refund checks in years they made 'too much money'. Now this won't work for everyone, but I've been loyal to State Farm since I was 16 and it matters. The longer a customer is, and even a single contiguous policy, the more likely they are to help (be easy on deductibles, include things not required, just provide good service). I know it is all the rage to save 15% on your car insurance, but it doesn't mean **** if they aren't there for you when you need them. State Farm basically relies, and wins, on having more lawyers than most insurers have employees.

I don't work for them, though have many friends who do. My advise is view it long term and not short if you possibly can. The cheap ones will **** you when the time comes.

Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
55 Posts
So I'm with the guy above who only has liability. I have many cars so I'll never be without transport. I have cars, like one of my S2000's, that if it fell off a cliff I'd be sad however money won't bring it back.

Also, State Farm is in that 'mutual' classification. It is structured sorta-like a co-op or something. I have gotten refund checks in years they made 'too much money'. Now this won't work for everyone, but I've been loyal to State Farm since I was 16 and it matters. The longer a customer is, and even a single contiguous policy, the more likely they are to help (be easy on deductibles, include things not required, just provide good service). I know it is all the rage to save 15% on your car insurance, but it doesn't mean **** if they aren't there for you when you need them. State Farm basically relies, and wins, on having more lawyers than most insurers have employees.

I don't work for them, though have many friends who do. My advise is view it long term and not short if you possibly can. The cheap ones will **** you when the time comes.
Wow, I don't know where y'all live but I pay something like $200 a year for liability only ... I'm 50 now so I don't have the youth charge though State Farm has never gone out of their way to notice my EXTENSIVE list of speeding tickets (though very few crashes or claims).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Allstate, no collision, just Liability at $50,000 and Uninsured/Under Insured motorist, 2000 insight manual, versus 2003 Porsche Boxster "S" 6 speed with the exact same coverages and limits, Versus a 1994 GMC 1500 base model short bed standard cab fleet side manual windows etc 4.3l v6 auto same coverages, The honda is 2-3 times more expensive to insure. Allstate's idiots had the audacity to tell me its because the car is rarer and more expensive to fix. The Allstate employees failed to learn the lesson, its better to say nothing and let people wonder if your ignorant than to speak and let them know your stupid. There was no collision coverage making the reason invalid. In Mississippi, the Hybrid weighs half as much as the Porsche has 1/4 the horsepower and can go half as fast, the physics say several times less energy, see I didn't say square or order of magnitude as I don't have the interest in researching again the physics of mass, speed and energy, just lazy not stupid. The car does less damage to the road and gets the same fuel economy as an old Geo Metro,, generally speaking, but the license plates get a $75 a year extra charge for being hybrid because there is not enough tax collected for fuel because of the economy. Every penny of benefit to the owner s taken by the insurance company and the state. I will drive the Porsche at 28 MPG over the Honda and sell both my insights....

·
Registered
2001 g1 mt synergy green 202000 plus and still going strong.
65 Posts
I had aarp insurance The Hartford when the car a 2001 was purchased in 2002 and they were the lowest cost for the Honda a Ford 250 diesel and our fifth wheel home. We had Good Sam before but we were lured away by a ridiculously low rate. One year later they nearly doubled the premium which is when we bought state farm insurance. Been happy ever since. In the beginning I had to send in papers from the owner's manual to prove the safety of the insight as the insurer said there wasn't enough track record at the time to rate the insight. I thought that was a little odd at the time. 3 years wasn't enough time?..

21 - 34 of 34 Posts