Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am interested in purchasing either an insight or a civic. I have not been to a dealership yet. I'd like to know what you think before I go there. Should I buy it new or used? Do you know how long you have to wait before you can get an insight?
Are they going to discontinue the production? Is it gonna affect spart parts prices? Do you think that the civic hybrid is more reliable and offer a better trade in value?
Is there anything I really need to know before I make a decision.

I really like that car and everytime I see one I wish I had one. :cry:

Thanks for you help.

PeacePowa

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi peacepower and welcome to the forum :)

Wow a lot of complex questions :!: I don't think the ones that require predicting the future have any answer other than opinion. Which ultimately either prove to be right and wrong.

Seems to me you need to do a lot of reading here before you take the plunge.

May I recommend starting here (and check out all the sub linked threads too):

What to look for when buying used?
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3814

And don't forget the IC encyclopedia:
http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/

and knowledge base:
http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/

If those don't help you make up your mind or you have any other questions feel free to post back (preferably in this thread) and we'll see what we can do. :D

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
You might have to wait for months to get a new Insight.

The Civic and the Insight are very different cars. I like a two seater. Even though I drive like a granny, I like to pretend I'm in a sports car. It does feel that way for handling.

The dealer will almost certainly try to sell you a Civic. There is nothing wrong with a Civic. That's what I'm recommending my brother get as I know there is no chance he will get an Insight. The Civic has a steel body which may be an advantage or disadvantage depending on where you live.

The Insight may become a valuable collector car if you wait, take care of it and don't put a lot of miles on it. Resale value depends on the price of gasoline. :D

I could make a good case for the Civic or the Insight.

Don't expect to find an Insight at a dealer and don't expect anyone there to have knowledge of the Insight. Insight Central and other owners is where you will get help.

Whether or not Honda continues to make the Insight they WILL continue to support the marque. I believe you can still get parts and service for the first car they ever imported to North America, based on the fact that a dealer in Toronto has one they keep for show!

·
Registered
323 Posts
They are 2 really different cars and we debated between the 2. I always wanted an Insight, but we were concerned about it being a 2 seater. (my husband's concern not mine....) So if you have children or a spouse + dog, it may not be the car for you. If you want a commuter car, the Insight would be best as it gets superior gas mileage.
The civic, according to my dealer, has a 1-2 month waiting period, the Insight could take several months, I personally waited 6 months, but I think it all depends on your timing.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
A dog shouldn't be a problem. Mine (~100 lbs) loved to ride in the hatch area. She seemed to think it was her den...

As for the rest, I'd say to buy a used Insight. You'll spend a lot less money, and if you don't like it, chances are you can turn around and sell it again for about what you paid. Or maybe, if gas prices keep going up, even a bit of a profit :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you search on autotrader you may be able to find a new insight in your area. I didn't have to wait for mine at all. Forget about any price breaks though! I was happy to pay msrp.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a 1992 Civic Hatchback with 230,000 miles on it. I still wouldn't take an even trade for a new one. I love that car. 40mpg on the highway.

I love it almost as much as I love my 2003 Insight. If I don't have a reason (like more than one passenger or big cargo), then I always drive the Insight. Having the Civic made that aspect of buying a 2-seater easy. The Civic is effectively my pickup truck, especially since I also have a 5'x8' trailer for it.

A neighbor has a Civic Hybrid. Note that because of the battery placement behind the back seats, unlike other Civics, the Hybrid back seats can't fold down to allow long cargo to fit in the trunk. It's basically a 4-door sedan that is ecologically greener than other 4-door sedans. The Insight is ecologically greener than, well anything commercially available that will take two people down the highway. It gets better gas mileage than a motorcycle, and you stay dry in the rain.

The Insight is more fun to drive and gets half again as many miles per gallon. Less greenhouse gases. More waves, thumbs-up and questions from strangers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the answers.
I did not have time (yet) to read the links provided but I read something interesting in the Times on hybrids. I think i'd rather have a Insight after what I read.
I'll probably go to the dealership just to see what they have to say.

Thanks again

Peacepower.

·
Registered
230 Posts
kasia said:
If you search on autotrader you may be able to find a new insight in your area. I didn't have to wait for mine at all. Forget about any price breaks though! I was happy to pay msrp.
yep this is correct! there are a few 06's available on Autotrader....

me...personally just found an 05 with 13k miles for $15K....I couldn't decide on this or a Prius but I decided to save $10K and get the Insight.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Let me see, if that is a 5 speed,..... :roll: :idea: the money you saved will buy enough gas at todays prices to drive a quarter million miles. 8)

Welcome to the forum!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts