Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stripping a 1G down to the shell.... Doors, hatch, suspension...... every last bolt will be removed. Only thing left will be paint, some sound dampener, windshield, and rear quarter windows..... what can I expect it to weight? How many guys do I need to carry it away?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Mike Dabrowski did the same to one of his cars last year. I think he had three people. The disappointing thing was the aluminum at the scrap yard was only worth less than $200. If I remember correctly. In other words for all the work it's not worth what you get for it. I think two people my size could handle it OK or just one person.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Shell

I think Mike aid it was 300 lbs. He rolled it across his yard.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its useable (salvage title) but Im stripping brake line and all suspension, steering and most interior. I'll leave the doors and hatch on and you can have it after that. I was thinking of cutting it down to a flat pan for a jig. You can have the blown engine and 5 speed as well. bring me a rear axle and I'll leave it on too.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its red, hood and front are in less than perfect condition and mirror is broken but the shell itself is straight. Keep in mind Im taking entire dash, steering column and steering rack, car will need to be carried away. Since my life would be easier I'll throw in the wheel spats if someone does come and get it. WOuld be about end of march when I'll be ready to send it by then.

·
Administrator
10,773 Posts
Two people can lift a stripped G1 shell onto a trailer easily.
We have stripped a couple in the UK and weighed bent shells in for scrap.
Got about £200 each for them. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts