Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Re: What does the little D and S on the steering wheel do/me

Devin said:
What does the little D and S on the steering wheel do/mean? Is that Cruise Control?
Devin - I have a pre CVT 5 speed - my owner's manual doesn't cover that. Do you not have an owner's manual? I belive the S is sport mode - gives you a slightly faster takeoff. D is probably for normal driving. I'm sure one of the CVT owners will post here with more info - or, you can use the search button at the top of the page...

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Scoot and Dawdle.

Scoot mode allows higher RPM accessing full horsepower. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
drive modes

D is drive, its the normal CVT setting. S is "secondary mode" it's like shifting into 2nd gear in a normal 3 speed automatic. It allows a higher RPM range. I only use it coming down steep mountain roads.

·
Registered
47 Posts
D = Drive (normal driving)

S = Sport, for "sportier" driving. Picks up and takes off quicker. Poorer gas mileage. (duh)

:wink:

·
Registered
44 Posts
karlinhos said:
D = Drive (normal driving)

S = Sport, for "sportier" driving. Picks up and takes off quicker. Poorer gas mileage. (duh)

:wink:
I always say they stand for "super" amd "duper"

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Note my several entries proposing the use of S to improve mileage by reducing the use of assist...not based on experience, just theory... Comments? :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Where is the cruise control button located on a Honda Insight 2005? What does it look like?
There are no EOM Insight cruise controls, so the answer is "nowhere."

:D

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Cruse control was not a factory option on the G1 Insight. Any car that has one is an aftermarket. My controls are on a seperate stalk in front of the turn signal lever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cruise Control

I just got a 2005 Insight..not delivered yet and I'm so excited. Does anyone know how expensive it is to have cruise installed? I'll NOT be doing this myself.

Thanks!:D

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
I just got a 2005 Insight..not delivered yet and I'm so excited. Does anyone know how expensive it is to have cruise installed? I'll NOT be doing this myself.
Having installed a Rostra cruise control myself, doing so does require a bit of mechanical ability and patience, so I can understand not wanting to tackle this installation yourself. However, those unfamiliar with the Insight hybrid system can cause the hybrid system to fail to work as designed after installing the cruise control (someone reported such a problem in this forum recently). So you need to be careful choosing an installer.

I think the issue is that the installer must tap into the existing clutch switch circuit to disable the cruise control when the clutch pedal is depressed. If this is done wrong, the cruise control will work but auto-stop may not (or something like that). This doesn't cause any permanent damage and can be fixed quite easily, but it's something to be aware of.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
If you have an automatic, hang on to it forever as they are ultra rare.

Willie

·
Registered
6 Posts
I plan to take the best care of it and keep it immaculate. My son just got a 2002, manual shift, and I loved the car (except for the shifting) so when I found this 2005 in great shape I jumped on it. I didn't realize they were rare though....I just don't want to shift all over town. I have a truck for that.

I've been driving a pt cruiser and like it too but the Insight will beat it on mileage.

Speaking of care, any suggestions for waxing, polishing, whatever to make it look great? Any particular products that work best?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I will also trade my cvt for a manual, in the same condition. Best tank so far is 73 mpg, I suspect with a manual I could be at 85 to 95 mpg.....

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

Thanks!:D
Your prices may vary for the Rostra Cruise Control, but last year I ordered the Global Electronic Part #250-1223 @$180 [aprox]; Universal RF Switch Part #250-1483 @$80 and Throttle Adapter Part #250-4325 @$30 aprox from brandon distributors online. Plus freight to Canada and D-I-Y'd it myself; not easy but cheaper by far:
By way of comparison having it done at a Rostra factory approved installation shop locally, would have been $480 in parts if they brought it in. They wanted $220 labor on their deal, so total shop installed cost was estimated around $700 plus tax.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts