Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the actual curb weight of a 5 speed car, with no passengers or driver? Not spec, but actual? Has anyone weighed it?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi 1320:

___Honda specs the 05 5-speed at 1,850 #’s w/out A/C and 1,881 #’s with. NHTSA specs the 04 Insight 5-speed at 1,868 #’s but I do not know if that is with A/C or not?

___Why do you ask by the way?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3a524ppi][email protected][/email:3a524ppi]

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I just weighed my 2005 with no air, outside mirrors, passenger seat, or spare tire. Came in at 1788 lbs. Billy......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xcel said:
Hi 1320:

___Honda specs the 05 5-speed at 1,850 #’s w/out A/C and 1,881 #’s with. NHTSA specs the 04 Insight 5-speed at 1,868 #’s but I do not know if that is with A/C or not?

___Why do you ask by the way?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:68ehki22][email protected][/email:68ehki22]
Well I build hotrods mostly and turbo kits for all kinds of things, a lot of engine transplants, like LS1's in 63 -67 vettes, Lt1's in the same and mid 60's muscle cars, turbo buicks , etc..etc......

I have thought an insight drivetrain in the right car would be neat alternative to typical rod building. I have a 1954 Henry J that I thought would be the right canidate for such a transplant. It is for most purposes a 1954 insight, basically the most economical car in 54 you could buy. I think I can get its weight close to 1800, depends really on the insight drivetrain. It is one of the lightest productions cars ever in original form. I would probably turbo it, just cause that is about 75% of what I do everyday anyway.

·
Registered
536 Posts
1320 writes
[ It is one of the lightest productions cars ever in original form]
referring to the Henry J.

I have an even lighter production car, 1350 lbs in steel, which was
produced in the millions over 40 years.Anyone know what it is?
I have been meaning to draw attention to the fact the insight is not
that light compared to some clever designs built in steel.I also have a
current Daihatsu 4 seater that only weighs 1550 lbs with all the safety
gear but no air so the aluminum used in the Honda almost seems
gratuitous.
I still like it though :wink:

D Gate

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously your talking about a bug....but do you have an actual weight? I suspect you ll find them a bit heavier.

·
Registered
536 Posts
What doe's your insight weigh?

Not a bug 1320 but a citroen 2cv,and that is the weight ready to roll
without people.Its also as easy to push by hand as the insight so has
low rolling resistance but the aerodynamics of a barn door.
Beetles are a lot heavier.

DGate

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really like the 2CV

I've seen a number of 2CVs when I've been in the UK, and I've always wanted one.

I consider it so ugly it's appealing. I passed one here in SD not long ago going the opposite direction with a for sale sign in the window. By the time I got turned around and tried to catch it, it was gone. Way too fast for me! lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Weighed my 2000 Insight at the truck scale last night... 980kg with me and my GF (160 and 120lbs), so that'd work out to approx 2000lbs for just the car...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts