Honda Insight Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
I'm about to experience the joys of 4C front strut and spring replacement. Ouch! I'll sleep better with FCPEuro's lifetime warranty, but still serious wallet contusions. Mine's bone stock. Was using as a daily driver.
Yup, I'm in the same boat. I replaced the rears and now I'm gonna be doing the fronts. And I'm sooo jealous. I wanted a VR in sonic so bad, but this SR sonic came up for an absolute steal (1200 bucks) and I couldn't pass it up.

·
Premium Member
Southern California
877 Posts
I have surprisingly few photos of my DeLorean, took me a while just to find this one! It's an '81, had her for a few years now. Currently in the shop for a bunch of maintenance, hah.
The only real issue I have with this particular one is persistent overheating (a pretty common problem). Had several things fixed/replaced at this point but it still has problems on occasion. At least everything else works fine for now.

Overheating also shouldn't be an issue eventually since I have a second one that's currently being converted to electric... ;)

I also have a Subaru 360 van, it's the one on the left (very old picture, you can see my still-silver Insight in the background). It's currently rotting at a friend's house in NorCal, I need to get it shipped down. Been converted to fuel injection with a megasquirt, just needs a new throttle cable and new brakes. I want to find somebody to fabricate a disc brake retrofit because the stock drums/shoes are unreliable and awful to work on.

And I recently purchased a Honda CX500 Turbo, just waiting for shipping logistics, then the long boat ride from Japan. Real excited for this one!
(Not a picture of the exact bike, but this is how they look)

And of course, my baby!

·
Super Moderator
5,356 Posts
Nice collection!

Sam

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight, 5MT
67 Posts
You guys have some seriously cool stuff!

Lots of other toys. Z32, ae86 20v 4age, s13 coupe KA-T build, etc. Insight is such a relief to drive, no cops care about me anymore
CollageMaker_20210330_185247041.jpg

Reactions: Vivila

·
Registered
30 Posts
A 1993 Ford F-150 to move big stuff around. I recently sold my 1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet convertible. Friends told me I was going to die driving it and I finally became convinced they were right. It had way too much power with the fuel injected Magnum 318 swap I did, and the brakes weren't that great, lol. The Insight makes me a mellower driver - never got a traffic ticket in it!

·
Registered
2002 Blue 5MT
39 Posts
Just sold the salvage title '06 Prius so I'm down to 2 Insights (sig), a couple planes, a handful of motorcycles and this DF Goblin I built a couple years ago.

Reactions: coreyosaur

·
Registered
49 Posts
1984 International School Bus RV
2007 Accord (my partner's "big" car)
1994 Autozam Scrum van. (needs head rebuilt)

Soooooooooper jealous of the Subaru 360 vans I'm seeing here O_O WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT

·
Registered
586 Posts
Haven’t driven anything but an Insight since 2002 unless you count rental cars

·
Registered
36 Posts
Aside from Honda's, I have a 2002 Durango with the small v8. Current mods:

• Grand Cherokee TCM for better MPGs
  • Orifice tube/accumulator from a Dakota for colder aftermarket AC
  • External amp with the factory Alpine Chrysler radio for louder and cleaner sound. It also has a Bluetooth module hacked in to the cassette player.

The auto tranny is starting to act strange so I am considering a manual swap. Since mine is the base model, the computer stuff shouldn't be very complicated.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Other than the 2 Insights I'm getting back on track ('04 and '05), we have 3 '07 Dodge Grand Caravans. I pick them up in the South where they have no rust and limited miles, add a trailer hitch (for my instrument), and get up to 150k+ from them before they rust out. None have died yet.😇

They are the last Dodge model w/o GPS, and the transmission issues had been worked out by then (an issue with older Caravans). We had a problem finding the last one because every dealer I called was selling them at auction for scrap and parts.:mad: Dealers in the North kept holding onto them. Go figure!

MyOrgan

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,469 Posts
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
1995 Honda Del Sol SI and 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart.
How is the Ralliart holding up for you? The lady was looking for a new(er) car earlier, currently drives a Mazda Protege MP3, and a Ralliart was a good contender but there were concerns over the reliability of the SST.

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight CVT
12 Posts
How is the Ralliart holding up for you? The lady was looking for a new(er) car earlier, currently drives a Mazda Protege MP3, and a Ralliart was a good contender but there were concerns over the reliability of the SST.
The sst transmission can be finicky, some seem to go 200k will no real issues other than the torque damper (Sounds like marbles in a can at idle) wearing out and others have transmission issues. The 2-4 shift magnet will fail at some point, ralliarts were less prone due to not having super sport and not shifting as fast. If this happens your left with R,1,3,5 gears only.

As long as it has had regular fluid changed with OEM Diaqueen SST fluid they are generally reliable. If something does break however quiet costly to fix.

My biggest complaint is how long it takes the transmission to warm up, 20-30 minutes before it reaches operating temperature. SST fluid is similar to 90 weight mineral oil and doesn't flow well when cold.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Gotta love those C3 Vettes! My father has been an NCRS guy for 20 years. The first car I ever restored was a 1969 basket case. One quirk I've always loved about those C3s is the fiber optic light sensors, which route to a viewport on the console so you can tell if the brake and turn signals are working. Also the extensive vacuum system that controls the headlights, windshield wiper cover, etc, is pretty neat.
yeh, the very early C3 have the fiber optic, like my '68, and I included fixing those in the restoration! The intended vacuum system in the Mako Shark concept car that C3 came from was even wilder. Many more parts to it, but GM axed those and stuck with just wiper door and headlights. I think 73 the wiper doors went away too. Insight note, I drove my Gen 1 today a couple hours to look at another Vette for the collection. Seller said 'what's that' :)

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
I have surprisingly few photos of my DeLorean...I also have a Subaru 360 van, it's the one on the left...And I recently purchased a Honda CX500 Turbo...
If this were a competition I'd have to vote for you. All three of these are...fascinating. Love that van (I think I like the little truck even better though)...

·
Premium Member
2005 G1 NFR 5spd
352 Posts
eq1, Check out Duncan Imports near VA Tech. Few photos from their website: Duncanimports.com
Screenshot_20210405-153445_Chrome.jpg
20210405_153650.jpg
20210405_155532.jpg

Reactions: coreyosaur
41 - 60 of 72 Posts