Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a bunch of references to it, but what causes it? Is is a good thing or something to dread? Got to give me a break here...I have had my 2001 (56k miles) for 3days and the info on the board is vast (and GOOD! ) :mrgreen:

Tman

·
Registered
408 Posts
To set the stage for a recal, you have to understand that the Insight can't measure the charge in the battery like it can fuel in the tank. It depends on sensors to estimate the charge left. Over a period of time, the actual charge will begin to sway from the sensor's estimates. When the computer finally determines the battery is really dead even though your battery gauge doesn't, a recal happens. The battery indicator suddenly drops to zero charge and the car begins to force charge. This is normal and the interval of recals depends on temperature and driving style. The harder you drive, the more recals you will probably get. Also, you will get more in the summer since heat doesn't play nice with the batteries. Older batteries will also have more recals than new one's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts