Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a code 41

41 is P0134, A/F Sensor (#1) signal stuck lean.
or P1166, A/F Sensor heater circuit malfunction
or P1167, A/F sensor heater system malfunction

I then called the parts store and they had no clue exactly which part it was. They were guessing the Mass airflow or Air temp sensor. I'm feelining like an idiot but I have to ask what sensor does Honda mean by A/F sensor? I was thinking Mass airflow but want to make sure before I go out and make the purchase. :)

Thanks in advance!

Martin

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's the air/fuel ratio sensor. The Insight should have two of them (pre and post cat). The Insight uses wide-band sensors which makes them much more expensive than regular ones. This is how the Insights computer can run A/F ratios up into the 20's in lean burn. These sensors only work well in high temperatures so they have heaters to get them up to temp quickly after startup. It sounds like you need a new one. I'm not sure if the #1 sensor is the one before or after the cat.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
A/F seneor is more commonly called an O2 (Oxygen) sensor

But wait :!: The Insight uses a wide band LAF (linear, air / fuel) type, not readily available in the aftermarket.

See:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=4123

Caveat emptor (buyer BEWARE :!: ) there has been much confusion on an aftermarket LAF replacement. And O2 sensor signals out of the acceptable range are _known_ to cause CAT damage, $1,200+. :shock:

HTH! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Clearing the CEL codes?

Got my first CEL. Dealer charged $120 (next I'll buy my own code reader) to diagnos the LAF Sensor. $300 for the part and $200 quote to do the labor to change it out.

Luckily I started reading the forums here and looked under the hood to learn that it is a very easy part to replace myself. Got the part, bought a wrench and will replace tonight.

Here's the question - how do I clear the CEL and stored code? Do I need a code reader to do that, or is there a series of operations I can perform similar to clearing the maintenance light?

Thanks,
Rusty

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm not completely sure but disconnecting the negative terminal from the 12V battery for a minute or two should reset everything. Also, the code may clear itself after a few on/off cycles.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Keep in mind that even if the CEL "clears" itself, there are several LAF relatd codes that in my experience will SHUT OFF the assist if they trip. This happens without warning and can be inconvenient...Best replace the LAF as soon as you can to avoid this and possible cat damage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, that had to be the easist job I've done on a car, changing out the LAF sensor. Spent $15 on a 22 mm wrench (vs the $200 the dealer wanted), and then replaced the sensor in under 20 minutes. Had to disconect the battery to clear the code, but not a big deal. The CEL has stayed off for a few hundred miles so I hope problem solved. :D

Thanks for everyone's help.

Rusty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts