Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just saw a article last nite bout cars and what kind of gas they need to use.
this "expert" guy said all cars need a special gas of gasoline ( unleaded, premium, etc) they were talking bout the numbers: 87, 85, 91 i dont remmember which once they are

he was saying if you put other different kind of gas on a car ( even if its premium ) than the one in the manual says your car will last less.
even if the car needs the cheapest one (87 i think) but if you put other kind such as premium, the car will still act the same, meaning that the gas wont last longer, or no better performance, ect
the only thing that will happen is the engine will fail sooner than expected

i was wondering if you guys really think this is true and if it is what kind of gas does the insight need??

thanks in advance :D

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts
That "expert" must be smoking"weed".
Go with what you feel is required. Running a higher octane gas that what is recommended ain''t gonna hurt., just a waste of money.
I run regular in the LRR 95% of the time, only premimun if I know i'm going to be "boosting" a lot.
HTH
willie

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Just use regular because that's what's the engine is designed to use. If you had a special engine design that required more octane, then sure, a higher ocatane rating would be better. Your engine can not create more output or mileage from a higher rating.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well ive been using the middle one i think its 89 form arco since i bought my I2 never used anything different
if my engine wont suffer from using this one then i dnt care if im just wasting my money i just feel more confortable by not using the 87 one

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your engine won't suffer from using a higher octane, but you are not really getting any benefits. In fact, if anything using a better company's gasoline will give you more benefits than using a higher grade. Shell and BP as well as a few others have different additives making it a cleaner burning fuel. So if you really want to feel better about what you're putting in your Insight, use a better brand of gas.

The reason some cars require premium fuel (explaining it from what my ASE Master Mechanic fried has told me multiple times) is their engines have a higher compression ratio. A higher compression ratio means that the fuel has to be compressed more before it ignites, and the higher octane indicates a greater resistance to burn. This gives more power to the engine. Using a fuel that is less than what your car needs will cause damage (an Acura TL for example needs premium and if you put regular in, you'll damage your engine). It will lead to cylinder misfires among other things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A little secret about higher octane gasolines: The higher octane fuels are made using blend stocks with a higher octane but, generally, a lower density, therefore less energy per gallon. If your car knocks, then use a higher octane gasoline, otherwise you are throwing money away. I have never heard my insight knock using 87.

Want the best mileage use 87 octane without ethanol.

Some of the differences people may see in mileage from particular gasolines may be due to the design of the local refinery which may produce particular blendstocks from particular processes. Up here in the upper midwest (Minnesota) most of the gasoline is marketed by one large refiner who wholesales gas which is then retailed by a dozen different brands, but it is the same gasoline. Additive packages may be slightly different, but they are all so good these days and the fuel is so clean, the difference is insignificant.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
how about E85, did someone test it ?
It would cut about 25% of your power and fuel mileage. That fuel is subsidized heavily in the United States(I notice you are listed in Germany) and is not sustainable and is more or less hanging on due to the strong corn farmers lobby here, a very powerful special interest. The subsidy basically pulls the price to -almost- the break even point but then your tank needs to be filled that much more. The only time I've ever had E85 put into a car was returning a rental car and putting it in to avoid the fueling charge. FWIW, the car was a GM Flex Fuel so it won't damage it but it will suck for the next guy who rents it if he/she does't do the same. The biggest detriment to ethanol is that you now need to pump more air by running the engine faster to get more power. Either that or discharge the batteries more, the car will do both as you push the throttle deeper to get the same thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
thx; yep we have new fuel here in Germany since a few months which is with 10% ethanol.....and std fuel goes up in price lol whereas with the new your consumption goes up :mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unfortunately, I live in a state where 10% ethanol is standard. Anytime I go outta state, I do bring a gas can, granted it's not enough to make it worth while, it's enough that I save a buck or two overall...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so after a year an a half of doing gas 89 on arco i finnaly decided to almost empty my tank so i can put diff fresh gas on my I2 i went for chevron but by accident put the premium one (instead of the cheapest)
lets see how my car takes it:cool:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just read the manual and saw that the I2 can take from octane 87 to 91 but honda recomends to use gas with more chemicals in it to help clean the engine
im thinking chevron and shell

but how bout the octane 91 from costo???

is that recomendable??

please advise

·
Registered
254 Posts
so after a year an a half of doing gas 89 on arco i finnaly decided to almost empty my tank so i can put diff fresh gas on my I2 i went for chevron but by accident put the premium one (instead of the cheapest)
lets see how my car takes it:cool:
So how did the Insight like the premium?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Pls tell cheesie. I find my Insight like midgrade myself and my body loves fuel that is loaded with chemicals in it too. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Pls tell cheesie. I find my Insight like midgrade myself and my body loves fuel that is loaded with chemicals in it too. :)
I've once put 91 husky gas in my almost empty tank, didn't feel any difference compared to 87, and the computer is also showing identical milage.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I find it pulls more timing and keeps the rpms lower under a load. I cant really say at this point since my car is soo modded if infact it does give better fuel economy. I can tell you that pulling more degrees of timming and keeping the rpms lower is behavior that will give more mpg.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well after filling my tank 3 consecutive times with octane 91 from costco i feel........ no difference??!!?!

at first i felt like i was getting more mpg since it took more days for my tank to get empty, even thou ima said i was scoring the same mpg
or maybe i drove less that time

im not sure but sometimes i feel like this 91 lasts longer and other times i feel like it doesnt

i read an article that said octane 91 actually lasts more (fact) but it also said dont bother to buy it if the car doesnt need it, since its more money anyways

im going to get a few more fillups with 91 then ill switch to 87 and keep you guys updates :D

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I dont think its worth the extra expense. To take advantage of it you need a scanguage and a very light foot.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Agreed. I wonder if it would help as occasionally when the car was breaking in, the engine would knock slightly on hot days. (Don't know if it still does or not--never pay attention.)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts