Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if there's an optimal gear or RPM to maximize regen on the insight. I always thought I would get more regen (i.e more amps put back in the battery) if I use a lower gear with higher RPM when coming to a stop, but for some reason I actually notice more stopping power with a higher gear and lower RPM.

What gear/RPM do you guys use??

·
7,200 Posts
I use 2nd nearly exclusively.

However, there is a train of thought that using a higher gear = less engine braking = more energy going into the battery.

I should figure out how to test this.. Drive around town 3 times downshifting into 3rd and average the amp hour input, then drive around town downshifting into 2nd 3 times and average the amp hour input.. Hmmm....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a freeway exit I take every day to work that is slightly downhill. I noticed that when I downshift to 3rd at 60mph, the engine revs, but I don't feel much "braking" from the IMA. The car just seems to keep on gliding. But when I leave it in 4th, the car actually feels like it's braking and I slow down much faster. Seems weird to me. I would've thought a motor puts out more current if it was spinning faster no?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I just leave it in 5th and push the clutch in as the car starts shaking. If its convenient I might do 3rd, but I don't think I get much more regen in 3rd than I do 5th. I get all 4 mima leds with 5th or 3rd so I'm not sure it matters. I'm trying to protect 2nd so I do use it, but nothing extra like braking.

On a similar note, anyone know what conditions prevent regen? When the car is cold, when the battery is hot, when the battery is full. I know I'm missing some conditions cause sometimes for no apparent reason, i can't get it. I'll go to 3rd then and maybe get it and using PIMA I can often get it when I can't any other way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am using only one speed since I have a CVT :D
I like keeping her at about 2500rpm at whatever speed I am and gear ratio it chooses for me.
Not to sure about how well it re-gens but seems about the same no matter what speed I am in.

M

·
0 Posts
Kenny, I've noticed the same thing too. When I downshift and hit the brake, there's no regen. I found the remedy, for those without MIMA, is to just tap the gas pedal once so the car supplies assist. Once the IMA engages because of the assist, the brake works for regen. Don't think you need to mash the pedal. It's really just a quick blip and back on the brake. You'll learn how much you need to push to see any difference.

·
7,200 Posts
The same thing can happen even with MIMA, but I've rarely noticed it on a downshift, usually an upshift. You don't have to make assist happen, any movement of the throttle will let regen happen again.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I use 2nd and 3rd.

2nd if is have to stop quickly. Advantage is less brake wear, and it regens to a lower speed 15-17mph.

3rd if I can anticipate the stop. I can get more regen time in 3rd. but regen goes only down to 20 mph.

Sometimes 4th or 5th, like when I'm exiting the freeway, and forget to shift to 3rd. Regen in 5th only goes down to 30mph. After that, I sometimes to go to 2nd if you have the distance. (bc regen doesn't kickin, unless, as stated above. you give it a little blip of gas). I don't really want to do that, so most of the time i Just slow down to when it autostops at 20mph.

·
7,200 Posts
There's a freeway exit I take every day to work that is slightly downhill. I noticed that when I downshift to 3rd at 60mph, the engine revs, but I don't feel much "braking" from the IMA. The car just seems to keep on gliding. But when I leave it in 4th, the car actually feels like it's braking and I slow down much faster. Seems weird to me. I would've thought a motor puts out more current if it was spinning faster no?
It does. The higher your RPM, the more regen you'll get. For example, letting off in 5th at 40MPH is like 4 or 6 bars of regen, while downshifting to 2nd at 40MPH is like 8 bars or something like that. Don't recall the exact numbers.

Could the difference be if you're touching the brake pedal or not? Touching the brake pedal will cause regen to go full in any gear as long as you're above the full regen threshold speed, which is different for every gear.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yeah, the regen limits I posted are when lightly tapping on the brake pedal. Just enough to engage regen, but engage the brake pads.

When regen stops, aroudn 15-20mph there is a sudden loss of drag. so be prepared to apply more brake pedal pressure.

The Porsche GT3 Hybrid has the same problem: Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid 2.0

·
Registered
918 Posts
Shoot that's easy; all of them

I use all of them for regen : ).

Fifth when coasting down off ramp to work and on freeway. Fourth most places on highway 20. Third coming to my subdivision road. Second going down last hill before my house. First in heavy traffic.

My .02 worth,
Tim Glover

1 - 12 of 12 Posts