Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a used Insight and it has recently had the 45k miles maitnenance work, says the seller. I guess the "bring it to the dealer" light comes on about every 15k miles? Anyways, should I have some peace of mind becaue of this? Does this mean that the car was given a good inspection? Were fluids topped-off? Were any of the lubricants changed? Any info or insights would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Depends.

While it is becoming standard at dealerships to follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual there still may be exceptions. You'll have to review each receipt for the specifics.

And there is the debate as to the normal vs. severe schedule. Most driving falls in the severe category. (read the fine print for yourself).

At the risk of reopening the never ending oil change debate the frequency of this one maintenance item has the greatest _long_ term impact. Topping off fluid levels has virtually no preventative effect.

Perhaps the best indicator of how the car has been treated behind the wheel is the LMPG reading (assuming it has not been reset). A high (for your area) reading would most certainly indicate very "soft" treatment. Which also has a long term wear and tear impact.

The maintenance reminder light comes on every 7500 miles.

So to summarize if you have the _paper_ trail history its definitely a good thing. Dealership maintenance has the greatest _potential_ to be the best, but independent shops with a good reputation can be equal and more cost effective. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm at the 45,000 mile mark myself and now you got me wondering what I haven't had done...

Anyway, I have another question - every time I bring the car in for service I get a follow up phone call. I'm wondering if that is standard Honda service stuff or if they're monitoring Insight owners or if it's just this particular Honda dealership.

Input?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
ecogrl said:
every time I bring the car in for service I get a follow up phone call.
Standard. They're actually calling you to get you to give them all "excellent" markings on the dealership service survey that Honda may contact you about. That way they can put a plaque on the wall of their service department, and maybe get other perks. I usually take the opportunity to explain to them about how they underinflated my tires again and didn't attach the rear wheel skirts properly.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

I have almost 13k miles on my 2001 CVT and this light has never come on. I do all my own oil changes and the car has never been serviced by a dealership, except for warranty work.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Resist said:
I have almost 13k miles on my 2001 CVT and this light has never come on. I do all my own oil changes and the car has never been serviced by a dealership, except for warranty work.
Sounds like either its broken or your intentionally / inadvertently resetting it before it has a chance to count to 7500. :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The little bulb could be burnt out too. Does it come on when you first turn the key and the dash does it's self diagnostic light up everything check?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've done nothing other than change the oil and still have not seen a reminder light. Is it possible the 2001's didn't have this reminder? All the dash lights work at startup.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My 2001 has it. It always freaks me out when it first comes on.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
You should see it light up when you first turn the car on (durring the little self test the cluster does). It will only be on for a second, but it is there.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Okay now I see it. It says Maint Required and flashes just after starting the car, then goes out. So how do you reset it? I refuse to take my car to a dealership for routine maintainence I can do myself.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Never mind, I found out how on this site. Funny, last time I had the car into the dealership for warranty work they didn't see it. Just another reason to avoid dealerships, they are buffoons.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-maint.html

: How do I turn off the "maintenance required" light?

A: The information printed in the year 2000 owner's manual is incorrect. This was corrected for the year 2001 manual. To turn off the "maintenance required" light, follow this procedures:

1. Press and hold the trip button until the end of step 5.
2. Turn the ignition key to the "on" position.
3. Wait for the "maintenance required" light to turn off (about 10 seconds).
4. Turn the ignition key to the "lock" position.
5. Turn the ignition key back to the "on" position.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts