Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
because of my ima failures I have been reading through alot of the posts regarding IMA replacement, as well as the rumour that this is the last year for the insight.

Anybody have a guess if they will build a stockpile of IMA systems at the end of the run? Im sure they wont be building them on a per order basis? (like it seems that they are doing now)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Personally I hope they don't stockpile IMA batteries. They have a limited shelf life.

Other than that I don't see anything different in owning an out of production vehicle. Heck, anything out there over 5 years old is effectively out of production. Ya they keep the name and much of the under hood stuff is interchangeable, but body and trim is a whole new animal.

In the distant future there will be increasing difficulty in obtaining body parts. Probably followed by some of the exotic IMA parts. Again more or less that same with any 10+ year old car. But by that time 70 MPG will be middling (I hope ;) ).

HTH! :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I believe there is a federal requirement that requires all auto manufacturers to supply parts for new vehicles for up to ... 15 years? I think that's the right number, but that's really going to be the answer to your question... from the last year they manufacture the Insight, add 15 years, that's how long (at a minimum) parts will be available...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few years back I toured the Honda plant in Alliston Ont. And from my understanding that when their is a delay in production in one part of the line, that is when they make extras of other parts to stockpile.

I heard about that law to, I think Canada is 10 years, But how long will you have to wait?

Inssightful trekker, Don't NMHD have a very long shelf life?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I would maybe worry about the price of the parts more than anything. They have an obligation to make parts for a while, and if (that's *IF* hypothetically) 06 is the last year we'll have parts for quite some time yet. On top of that there should be some junkyard parts available as well.

As far as stock piling the batteries won't stay very long due to their self discharge. Plus even if you keep them in storage on a charge they will still slowly die due to non-use. Of course I'm sure they'll keep plenty in stock, maybe not here but deffinitely in Japan.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am thinking it is 10 years here in the U.S.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Over here in Germany you can still obtain parts for the little Honda S-800 sports-car from the local honda-dealers....
I personally never had any probs with parts on my Insight, I mean the car was never officially available here.
:wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts