Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I've decided to make the purchase but no dealer anywhere near me has one. By the way I'm looking for a stick not an auto which is the hard part. Silly me, thought maybe I should drive one first. Okay the heck with it, I'm a enough of a car nut and have been doing my homework well I'll just order it and trust my judgement, test ride or no. I CAN"T EVEN GET A DEALER TO ORDER ME ONE !!! I'm not even talking price either. I own a small retail business and have always thought it was a good thing to make it easy for people to spend their money, silly me again.

I'm being told several different stories. "Oh, Honda won't let us order a car." or "We have nothing to trade for one if we could find it." or my favorite so far "Honda isn't making that car anymore." Jeez, I'd be embarrassed to say something so dum out loud. Or did I? I just read here that the Insight was to continue through 2004. What? Just the auto, no 5spds?

Anybody got any suggestions?

Rant off....., AJ

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having difficulty. The dealers do not appear to be taking you seriously. If possible, I suggest taking a large stack of cash with you next time you visit them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'd recommend that you go to the dealer and tell them that you want to order the car, and if they are not interested in your money, perhaps they could recommend to you another Honda dealer willing to order the car for you. Realize that when you order an Insight:

1. You wait for your order to go in. There's a monthly cycle, so it might be up to a month before the order goes in.

2. You wait for the car to be built. This could take a while. They don't build Insights very quickly.

3. You wait for delivery... from Japan. That will likely take four weeks. Dealers like to tell you two to three weeks. They are salesmen. You are in retail. You likely understand the pressures to give optimistic predictions.

The dealers are not enthusiastic about ordering the car because apparently they have to pay for them when they get ordered. I'm not sure about this.

They may ask you for $1,000 to take the order. Mine did. They know you may have to wait three or four months to get the car and they know that people change their minds about things over that much time. They'd have to give you your $1,000 back, but they'd still have to pay for the car, and then they have a car on their lot that they believe they'd have a hard time selling because it is unique and different, and they make much less off of it than they do when they sell an SUV.

Meanwhile, when they order the car, it is placed on their inventory. If you cancel, they are "stuck" with an Insight; a car they don't understand and don't know how to sell.

Those of us who love the car have to get them through the dealers in spite of the dealers. I ordered mine last March. I'm expecting it sometime between now and June 12th, though it could be later. Meanwhile, since I've already owned an Insight (destroyed in a collision and probably unnecessary use of the Jaws of Life), I already know that the car is worth waiting for. The dealer knows I'm not changing my mind, and since he's sold more Insights in the past seven months than he has since it became available, and since most of those sales were 5-speeds, he's starting to catch on. It's been nice to watch that faint glow of recognition slowly grow over the time I've been working on this order.

The local dealer had two CVT Insights (one blue and one silver) on the lot last time I checked, and these had been on the lot for at least a month. Since they can't get 5-speeds from any other dealer, maybe they will order a couple 5-speeds for their lot this time, along with mine.

You didn't mention where you are trying to get yours ordered.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I've been trying to find something to drive for about a month. Lots of promises for a call back when something arrives but then no calls. The obvious reason is that none of these dealers are going to order a 5spd on spec and the sales staff, I'm guessing, only realizes this after promising to give me a call.

It was only this last week that I started asking about ordering one. I've got a couple of things going. One with a cycling buddy who works in management for a dealer chain in my area and I've contacted CarsDirect. Actually bought my last car through CarsDirect and it was remarkable easy. I went to them the first time for just the reasons I have now, no dealer wanted to order me a car. They found one in a day that was exactly what I wanted, price was the same as I'd get at the dealer and it was delivered to my front door on a flat bed. I'd really like to stay local if possible though and develope a relationship with a local dealer.

Thanks again, AJ

·
Registered
76 Posts
AJ - for whats it's worth I had the same problem. Most dealers here in Denver were the same way, they really didn't seem to want to sell me a new Insight. I got fed-up and after devoteing 2 months found a great deal on a used 2000 5-spd with 19K miles on it. I'm SO happy I took the time :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
When I talked to a local dealer about ordering one they said no problem, but they wanted 10% to 20% down because "they did not want one on the lot." I imagine that an insight can draw lots of looks but few buyers, that wastes a salesman's time and time is money.

When I asked about how long it would take to get one in, they were very evasive. They said they would see if they could find one on another delaers lot before they would order one.

A good place to see nationwise what new cars are sitting on dealers lots is to use Http://www.autotrader.com/ new car search. Currently, of the 53 insights it finds nationwide, only 13 have manual transmissions.

Finally, considering how fast insights are depreciating, smart people are buying used.

·
Registered
570 Posts
AJ: I would contact Honda customer relations and tell them about the lousy service the dealers have given you. From what I've read here, if the rest of the dealers are like this, no wonder Honda has only sold 15,000 Insights total. Try Ebay. I bought mine practically new(4000 miles) and saved several thousand dollars. Some people buy the car, can't get the high mileage claimed because they don't know how to drive it, then want to get rid of it. Mine had a lifetime mileage of 46 when I bought it. I get over 70, sometimes 80MPG. Also try autotrader.com. They usually have a lot listed, if you don't mind used. By the way, where do you live? I would like to avoid the dealers in your area!

·
Registered
41 Posts
try your credit union's car buying program

I bought my 5 sp 2003 Insight w/ ac, & cd player & rear speakers through my credit union's group buying program. They searched all Honda dealers in No Cal & found exactly what I wanted. I was able to test drive it once it was delivered to the credit union's site. I saved about $800 on the purchase too. It's easy to join a credit union, just deposit $25 ia a savings account there, and your eligible for their group/fleet buying program. 8)

·
Registered
125 Posts
bfivelover said:
AJ: I would contact Honda customer relations and tell them about the lousy service the dealers have given you.
I'm with bfivelover: the dealers in my area were really polite, but not very helpful until I called Honda Canada's 1-800 number and asked for their help.

Dealers started hopping as soon as the Customer Relations guys called for me! :)

I discovered quickly that dealers just don't think you're serious about wanting one until you pull out the cheque book. Sad, but true.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The salesman at my dealership didn't even know what an Insight was. When I told him he said, Oh Honda hasn't made those in a couple of years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had trouble finding one. I knew what I wanted and wasn't about to buy a new car that wasn't exactly IT. I'd highly recommend hunting for a used one. There's sometimes some on eBay... sometimes some on the Yahoo Auto Classifieds. I picked my 2001 up at a Buick and Chevy dealer. Since the salesmen swear there's no resale value then you should be able to get a good deal on a used one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A few things have developed in the past couple of days. One dealer returned a call and told me they had located two cars both exactly what I want. Down I go and hand the man a deposit. The next morning I get a call and am told that the cars are both sold but they will hold my deposit and place an order (hey wait a minute, didn't you guys tell me you couldn't do that?) Mind you these guys ground on me to take an automatic they had on hand before starting the process of getting the car from another dealer. Oh, by they way. Did you know that the auto is as fast as the 5spd and gets as good a gas mileage? Well, that's what they told me at the Honda dealer!! Anyway my cycling buddy who works for a large dealer chain came through and had the general manager of the Honda dealership in my home town call me. They will order my car, need no money down and gave me a better price without my having to ask.... SCORE!! I probably won't see it until September but this gives me time to sell the VW-GTI. Hey anybody want a go fast toy? I actually drove the GTI like a little old lady for a 100hr stretch (the VW has an onboard computer that resets every 100hrs) and got 28.1 mpg. I mean I drafted trucks (got a ticket one morning for that one but it was almost worth when the cop cracked up when he ask me what I was doing and I told I was drafting), coasting, et all the tricks. Jeez 28.1... imagine what the Insight will do driven the same way, can't wait.

An interesting aside. Called my bother to tell him about the purchase and he is almost as excited as I am. He's no car guy either, he's just tight with the nickle. He wants full reports once I start to drive it.

Thanks for the support, AJ

·
Registered
741 Posts
Doesn't honda.com have a search engine for cars? You could use that to find a 5-speed Insight.

If honda.com doesn't have it, the dealers should. They should be able to find one for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts